My wife and I used them and when we go back we'll use them again.. {{card.portName}}, Onboard Icy Strait Point is home to a restored 1912 Alaska salmon cannery and museum. Not only that, our sturdy fleet of boats in conjunction with our experienced captains at the helm, and guides at the wheel of the vans, are more than capable of coping with the conditions. , I would like to know if the zodiac boats and whale watching boats travel in the same waters? We care about our beautiful state and want to show it off in a genuine way while protecting and preserving the land and sea at the same time. Be sure not to miss ShoreTrips' whale watching shore excursions, many of which include bear searching! That's about it for things to do except for the very awesome gondola to the top of the mountain and the zipline down. If youre struggling to choose between Icy Strait Point shore excursions, Im here to help. Is it safe to book with a local company that does not work with the cruise ships? Royal Caribbean International ; RCL excursions in Icy Strait Point Alaska RCL excursions in Icy Strait Point Alaska. These cruises are selling out fast, get them while you can. Our dedicated staff (85% of which call Hoonah home) is committed to providing a one-of-a-kind experience for every guest that is infused with our local Native culture and hospitality. You can potentially also see bald eagles, Sitka black-tailed deer, and otters. Don't miss our unique shopping center, a free museum, walking trails, etc. What really makes this tour unique is the Drone imagery. So I decided to use that knowledge to come up with a list of the best Icy Strait Point excursions. They've been living under the radar to protect Maisie, but she feels like a prisoner. Icy Strait Point Excursions and Tours Located in southeast Alaska and along the coast, Icy Strait Point gives you a peek inside the beautiful and diverse Alaskan wildlife. If your ship is docking at the Adventure Dock, after exiting your cruise ship, disembark and proceed up the ramp to the Icy Strait Point Adventure Center. Our Icy Strait shore tours give you the chance to get up close and personal with incredible wildlife. Your experienced guide will take you on an adventure to discover the secrets of Icy Strait and the vast history of the Tlingit Native population. If wild and cruise line food is not your thing, there are delicious restaurants in the area. Watch the eagles in the nest right across from the school. In years past, I used to call out Icy Strait Point as the gateway to Glacier Bay National Park; this year, my research showed that the major cruise companies seem to be visiting Glacier Bay as part of their itineraries and there are no excursions that take you into the park anymore. Duration: 1.5 hours Price: $280 per person View Details #1. We currently offer excursions for saltwater fishing, whale watching and marine nature tours in the waters of Icy Strait, long renowned for it's abundance of marine wildlife and excellent . In addition to your wildlife search, depart directly from Icy Strait Point on your safe, stable, covered, and comfortable whale-watching vessel and travel through the bountiful waters of Icy Strait to the renowned Point Adolphus area, home to Alaska's largest summer population of humpback whales. Once inside the Adventure Center, walk through the building and exit through door number 2 this is clearly marked. AK 99829, Guaranteed Whale Watching Tours in Icy Straits, The Best Time To Visit Alaska - Various Seasons Of The North, 7 Things You Shouldnt Miss During Your Icy Strait Point Tours, Why the Icy Strait Point Gondola is a Must-Ride for Tourists. We are committed to keeping Alaska wild! Among the huge number of excursions you can book in Juneau - and even on this list of nine - it's hard to choose the best one. While that doesnt necessarily factor into the way this list is ranked, it means I always include 1-2 Alaska cruise excursions that are more active for those who are physically able. Breathe in the 1,000-acre greenspace of Stanley Park, one of the largest urban parks in North America. If you are looking for a one-of-a-kind experience, then the ZipRider is for you. An Alaska cruise isn't complete without exhilarating shore excursions. Opened a decade ago by the Huna Tlingit Native Alaskans, its easily one of the best spots in the region for fishing and whale watching. We do NOT have space to store wheelchairs or walkers on then van/bus or aboard the boat during your tour, even if they are the folding type. We didn't do the whale watch so can't help sorry, Icy Strait Point, Hoonah: Hours, Address, Icy Strait Point Reviews: 4/5, Icy Strait Point is one of the most authentic and unspoiled ports in an Alaska cruise itinerary. Discover the frontier town of Icy Strait surrounded by nature in its unspoiled glory. As a souvenir, youll get recipe cards so you can try to prepare these meals once you return home. There are even resident bald eagles that perch on the ships to fish. A bunch of towers on this lift feature combination assemblies on . We visited a couple of local shops and really liked the simplicity of Hoonah. . During season 2016, the port handled 78 ship calls and ~160,000 cruise tourists. What to expect when you get there - Amy will meet up with you at your pre-arranged meeting point (we were off a cruise ship, so Icy Straight Point excursion hub for us). I agree that the activities are for older children. I try to include a food tour in every one of the posts in this series; I believe food is one of the best ways to experience the culture of a place including Alaska. Not into drinking or eating seafood. Very small place with lovely scenery but limited activities. Our stops are Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Juneau, and Victoria,BC. OHIO. The Tlingit people have lived in Southeast Alaska for many centuries in what is now Glacier Bay National Park. As I mentioned, Skagway is a destination for history lovers - so it's no surprise that a history tour tops the list. If you have questions about tours prior to booking, please email [emailprotected]. Your email address will not be published. Icy Strait Point website. On this 2- to 3-hour excursion, youll board a helicopter, cruise up to the top of the mountain, unload your bikes, and ride back down. This is your chance to see brown bears, Sitka black tail deer and other wildlife up close in the natural scenic beauty of the last frontier. Does this also mean that THE Twangsterwill be on the May 13, 2019 sailing? We rarely cancel on our guests as the weather is typically pretty stable. Icy Strait Point is a cruise destination located in the small Alaskan village of Hoonah. You will then get to see how the birds, fish, mammals, plants, forests, rivers, and climate all weave together to create this lush, vibrant ecosystem! See our Icy Strait Point shore excursions on CelebrityCruises.com . But young toddlers have to just walk and look around. Visit the Tlingit carvers and walk about to appreciate the totem poles in town. Find Shore Tours to Book Select your cruise ship and we'll display only the tours that work with your schedule in each port. Will definitely take rain gear. Whale Watching in Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska. I looked at the number of cruise companies offering that excursion in 2022. Join us on a whale watching tour to see the enormous humpback whales. If you are interested in a less tourist like experience, you might like this. An Alaskan, family owned small business, inspired by nature. The ticket agent for the sky glider was the one that advised us about the hike. Celebrity, Disney, Holland America, Norwegian, Oceania, Princess, Regent, Royal Caribbean, and Seabourn. (It is semi-widely available and a good value though, as points in its favor.). Icy Strait Point was a nice place to spend a few hours. Valerie! If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Secure easy and reliable transportation to the Mendenhall Glacier from Juneau with the Blue Bus Glacier Express. I really enjoyed reading about all the fun stuff to do on our crusie through alaska. Surround yourself in the majestic wildlife of Icy Strait! This excursion is a gentle walking tour that lasts 2.5 to 3 hours depending on the wildlife you see. Be ready to paddle about 7 miles total. Our most popular tour is the Icy Strait Point Premier Whale Watching Tour. Drones are able to see below the water surface and broadcast live video back to the boat. This is the most popular year in Alaska ever, so it doesnt surprise me that things are sold out. On this cruise excursion, a local guide will take you out to spot dozens of species of perching birds, seabirds, ducks, gulls, and bald eagles. You will experience seeing and hearing these amazing animals with your own eyes and ears, and then we take you to the next level with our displays onboard. Prices start at $169.00 per person. Celebrity, Disney, Holland America, Norwegian, Oceania, Princess, Regent, Royal Caribbean, Seabourn, and Viking. Opened a decade ago by the Huna Tlingit Native Alaskans, it's easily one of the best spots in the region for fishing and whale watching. Thanks so much, Elizabeth! Departs From Is there a whale and bear watching tour combo? We have been operating and improving our small group tours for over a decade. {{card.portName}}, Onboard Itll be hard to keep your eyes on the trail with all the epic scenery around you! Mom of a shaggy-haired dog and a shaggy-haired human. View Health & Safety requirements. You can post now and register later. This excursion doesnt have the same wow factor as flightseeing or adrenaline-inducing zip-lining, its by far the most culturally immersive experience you can have in Icy Strait Point and possibly on your whole Alaska trip. July 10, 2007. If your ship is docking at the Wilderness Dock, you will disembark and walk up to the Gondola. Not a hard slog by any means, but the dampness and persistent rain made it less enjoyable than hoped. With respect, I make a formal land acknowledgment, extending my appreciation and respect to the past and present people of these lands. If you could share your itinerary, times in port and what you are interested in for each stop that mayprompt more responses. Southeast Alaska and Icy Strait in particular, is home to some of the best halibut and salmon fishing around. Everything was close together and easy. Do you have any experience with either excursion? He know how to find the whales! Pedal a mountain bike along a nature trail to an old-growth rainforest, where you will enjoy a leisurely hike to a wonderfully picturesque beach. Enjoy a hot beverage before returning to your ship or exploring the cannery and nature trail at Icy Strait Point. This Alaskan wilderness and bear search tour is offered on Chichagof Island, a one-of-a-kind location with the highest population of bears per square mile of any place on Earth. On this 3.5-hour charter, youll board a locally-operated boat and head out onto the waters of Icy Strait. Generally speaking, Carnival will be the least expensive and Disney will be the most expensive, with Royal Caribbean and Norwegian at the lower end and Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, and Cunard at the upper end. Join us for the best show in town, a 3-hour whale watching excursion (includes transportation time and approx 2.5 hours on the water) which begins when you board the bus that departs from the Icy Strait Point Excursion Hub, just a short 5-minute walk from your cruise ship. All rights reserved. We promise to have you back to your ship on time. Only Seabourn offers this one. Thank you for sharing this. Longest Zip Line, Icy Strait Point, Alaska. Sorry, I dont know the specific tour company; the goal of this post is to help people book their cruise excursions through the cruise company. The only thing you can count on in Hoonah, and the area near Icy Strait Point is that you cant count on the weather. Yes! Watch members of the Huna Tlingit Dancers troupe tell the story of their tribal heritage through song and dance at the Native Heritage Center Theater. Until then Alaska excursions do tend to run more pricey compared to Caribbean cruises. Caribbean Europe Getaways (3-6 Days) Hawaii Japan Mexico Panama Canal South America & Antarctica Tahiti & South Pacific World Cruises . 1-888-751-7804 . Given how many cruise companies offer a number of interesting and unique shore excursions in Icy Strait Point, it was hard to choose which ones to recommend. Come experience the birds and nature of Chichagof Island, near Icy Strait Point! These cruises are selling out fast, get them while you can. Also what is the machine behind the Icy Strait point sign? On this visitI did a whale watching excursion. CHECK SHORE EXCURSIONS IN Icy Strait Point, Alaska, *Please see all applicable Terms & Conditions for Promotions, Alaska Icy Strait Point Tribe Local Performance, Cuisine Dungeness Crab, Icy Strait Point, Alaska, One of the Many Historic Cannery Buildings, Icy Strait Point, Alaska, View All{{ cards[0] && cards[0]['totalGroups'] ? " so we had a more personalized experience. The best tours in Icy Strait Point are: T4. We booked "Glacier Winds" for the Whale watching on a small (6 person) boat in Icy Point for our 2020 trip. And best of all: the proceeds of this excursion support the Juneau Audubon Society, so your excursion costs are funneled back into supporting the bird populations you get to enjoy. Who Offers This Icy Strait Point Shore Excursion? This allows for a great crew to guest ratio, ensuring your experience is personal. In Juneau I know of asled dog excursionincluded as part of a helicopter to a glacier type activity which makes it expensive but very good. Journey from Icy Strait Point into the wilds of Chichagof Island as you explore the Spasski River Valley in search of local wildlife. We did the Spasski River Wildlife and Bear tour. I'm a newbie to Cruise Critic. Cunard rolled out the winter 2025 cruise schedules for its three ships, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2, plus the new-build Queen Anne, set to debut . Shore Excursions Group takes you on a journey in the Icy Strait to see the bears, fish, bald eagles, and whales that call Icy Strait home. This May 13 cruise has a long stay in ISP, something absent on most itineraries. This Alaskan cruise port town has so much to offer. Icy Strait is home to a wide array of wildlife, including orcas, sea lions, sea otters, harbor seals, porpoise, and the majestic humpback whale. However having a tough time booking things. Some excursions include puppies that you get to hold. There may be 3rd party options you can explore directly. Longest Zip Line, Icy Strait Point, Alaska. You're in for an adrenaline rush of a lifetime as you fly above the treetops at speeds of up to 60 mph. Who Offers This Shore Excursion in Icy Strait Point? Call 1-866-999-6590 today to speak to a booking agent! Celebrity, Disney, Holland America, Norwegian, Oceania, Princess, Regent, Royal Caribbean, Seabourn, and Viking. View All Cruises, We're having trouble retrieving these cruises. My blog posts likely contain affiliate links, including for the Amazon Associates program.If you click, book, or buy from one of these links, I may earn a commission. Youll descend from an elevation of 1,330 feet back to sea level along those six zips at times you may be going as fast as 60 miles per hour and at heights of 300 feet above the ground! Required fields are marked *. See the amazing humpback whales that call the waters of Icy Strait Point their home. Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go, Hotels near Dei L'e.aan (lisa's Art Store), Hotels near Alaska Luxury Tours - Icy Strait Point / Hoonah, Hotels near Excursion Inlet Seaplane Base Airport (EXI), Motels near Excursion Inlet Seaplane Base Airport (EXI), Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks in Hoonah, Icy Strait Point - Whale & Marine Mammals Cruise, Tribal Dance & Cultural Legends at Icy Strait Point, Mount Sinai Climb and St Catherine Tour from Sharm El Sheikh, Fire in the Valley- Carnegie Steel and the Town That Built America, Bohol Taug Whale Shark Watching and Snorkeling, Private Two Hour Yacht Charter in Tampa Bay, Half Day Blue Cave and Snorkeling Tour from Dubrovnik Old Town, Hvar (Hvar island) & Bol (Bra island) - Day Trip from Makarska - Every Tuesday. The nature trailis pretty short. Tlingit Canoe Tour 4. Wow, we will be cruising with a celebrity. I mean, you can zip-line in many ports around the world, so is it any surprise that theres an epic zip-lining experience in Alaska? Drive old logging roads to a picnic spot. All words and images 2013-2023 The Kolibro Group LLC. Josh has captained in this area for many years and knows the area well! 335 Harbor Dr Hoonah . I am concerned if I have saeveral days between catching fish and returning to my home, the fish may not be so goog. . CHECK SHORE EXCURSIONS IN Icy Strait Point, Alaska, *Please see all applicable Terms & Conditions for Promotions, Alaska Icy Strait Point Tribe Local Performance, Cuisine Dungeness Crab, Icy Strait Point, Alaska, One of the Many Historic Cannery Buildings, Icy Strait Point, Alaska, View All{{ cards[0] && cards[0]['totalGroups'] ? " Owned by Huna Totem Corporation, Icy Strait Point is located 35 miles west of Juneau in Hoonah, Alaska on the Chichagof Island. Visiting in September of 2023. Sharing the types of adventures along with the budget you seek will help anyone who might respond with ideas. Most meals spotlight local fish or caribou, and Dungeness crab when its in season. This 2.5-hour outdoor adventure is listed as moderate in terms of activity level. Moreover, our small group tours are purposely smaller than those offered by the cruise ship, giving you a more intimate experience, at a better rate, while visiting Hoonah near Icy Strait Point. Wind along back roads in search of wildlife, including bald eagles, brown bears, and Sitka black-tailed deer, and enjoy spectacular views of the natural beauty that surrounds you along the way. Combo assemblies on tower 5. There will be no shortage of fish in the cool, clear streams we'll take you on this trip. Just off the dock where our Princess ship landed, is the ski lift- type red gondola to the zipline, the free green gondola to the bar of the zipline and cannery. My husband and I are booked for a cruise to Alaska with Royal Caribbean August 4th through the 12th. We promise to have you back to your ship on time. Who Offers This Shore Excursion in Icy Strait Point? Notes: Guests must be able to walk without assistance. Guests must be able to climb in and out of a 15 passenger van. Expand Your Vacation. I have heard that whale watching excursions book on the ship are on very big boats that hold a lot of people. Duration: 2.25 hours Price: $145 per person View Details Juneau Musher's Camp & Sled Dog Discovery But, Ive weighed the options and consider these nine to be the best Icy Strait Point and Hoonah cruise excursions. Can multiple families book a tour and be together? Availability: This tour is only available August-September. Foodie cruisers, this ones for you! Shore Excursions Departure Ports & Hotels Free Brochures Ships & Experience. Whale watching is one of the most popular activities in Icy Strait Point. Top Things to Do in Icy Strait Point Meet a Local Favorite, Freddy, the Humpback Whale Dive into Native Alaska culture at a tribal dance show or pay a visit to Hoonah, Alaskas largest Tlingit village. Royal Caribbean Alaska Cruise Tours; Cruise Lines. Good Value. (That means each excursion gets its own number, no ties), I gave each excursion a boost or deduction for being a good value based on the. If you want to see whales in Juneau, please check out Harv and Marvs. A CareCart is available to people who cannot make the 300 yard walk from the cruise ship dock to the excursions hub where we meet you. Explore our Alaska cruises today! Balcony Stateroom. While biking and hiking in Alaskas temperate rainforest is certainly cool, hands down the best part is exploring the beach in this trio of experiences; keep your eyes peeled for sea urchin shells and animal prints, which are commonly found on the beaches of Southeast Alaska. While in Icy Strait, we also give you the chance to enjoy some incredible and famous Icy Strait seafood. You won't find a better place to experience an outdoor adventure and get a sense of what a . We had our two grandsons with us, ages 10 & 12. Your excursion begins with a scenic drive along Gastineau Channel, and into the Ship Creek Valley. Thanks for reading, Helen! (Look for them holding a Hoonah Travel Adventures sign.) Our team personally tests every tour in a destination to select only the best shore excursions for your Quantum of the Seas cruise . Visited from our cruise ship. Located about 35 miles west of Juneau, this area offers some great nature and adventure opportunities as well as rich Tlingit heritage. Zip-lining is so in right now! After a drive through (and out of) town, youll leave the crowds behind and head onto Alaska native-owned lands where youll disembark and start your wilderness hike. Your email address will not be published. Guests must be able to walk over paved, gravel, and packed dirt surfaces, with inclines. Humpback whales visit Icy Strait Point every summer, beginning in May, and they stay around until September.