The game itself saw about fifty West Ham supporters invade the pitch on three occasions, forcing the game to be temporarily suspended once. ASIN Stay in your own bit of London you pricks, did anyone else hear the psg fans singing a song to the sound of flower of scotland againt Lyon ? By the time we got back to Kings X the Travel club coach had gone and having next to no money on us we had to go and get travel warrants from the police at Kings X Police station which was in the middle of the red light district.The police station was like the Bronx and I distinctly remember an 80 year old lady asking for the youngest, and handsomest, police officer to take her home as she lived in fear of beingattacked. No, this happened in Hockley Essex (near Southend) on a Thursday night after a Disco at the local Youth Centre!.Couple of weeks previously one of our lot had Don't have an account? Millwall were cleared of all charges while West Ham were found guilty of two: violent, threatening, obscene and provocative behaviour and failing to prevent their fans entering the field of play. Paphitis later introduced a membership scheme whereby only fans who would be prepared to join and carry membership cards would be allowed into The Den. font-family: Raleway, sans-serif; "I see it as unjust. The Millwall kid was out like a light and landed about 3 feet from the fenceout for the countcompletely sparked out. I distinctly remember that there was a canny drop from our end down to the main paddock of theirs and they all came wandering over, with young bairns on their shoulders, tothrow abuse with one or two indicating that if at all possible they were up for slitting our throats. gutter: 0, (function (i, s, o, g, r, a, m) { I know these rivalries have been generated over the years for all the wrong reasons, but still, its nice to be noticed. Customer Reviews, including Product Star Ratings, help customers to learn more about the product and decide whether it is the right product for them. Ye,s he died a couple of years back, not sure about the circamstances though Maybe Annis has more details? The game saw hundreds of West Ham fans invade the pitch on three occasions, forcing the game to be temporarily suspended once. Undoubtedly though in all of the years following the club the most eventful away game ever was at Millwall in 1979. More just an observation that many of them will wear the flat cap when the story suits, Imagine the day when we have a thread about millwall which doesn't somehow descend into football violence. Johnny Campbell, The Twice World Club Championship Winner, Sunderland AFC, World Club Champions; 125 Years On, Sunderland AFCs First League Champions 1891/92, The Art Of Sunderland AFC aka Sunderland Til I Die, Sunderland AFC 1 v 1 Oxford United, Saturday 1 September 2018, Sunderland AFC 3 v 0 Scunthorpe United, 19 August 2018, Sunderland AFC; The Team Of All The Talents, Harry Martin, Sunderland AFC 1912 to 1922, Sunderland v Sheffield Wednesday, 16 August 2018, Sunderland Albions First Game, 5 May 1888, George Holley; Sunderland AFCs Shining Star, Sunderland AFC 2 v 1 Charlton Athletic, 4 August 2018, Sunderland AFC As The Vancouver Royal Canadians Part 3, Buy: Sunderland AFCs Finest Matches 1879 to 1939, Buy: Sunderland AFCs Finest Matches 1940 to 1973, Third Division Days Sunderland AFC 1987/88, Wearside Leaves Gracefully; Manchester City 3 v 2 Sunderland AFC, 11 May 1991, Aston Villa 1 v 4 Sunderland AFC, Villa Park, 29 August 1955, In Search Of The Double Sunderland AFC 1912/13, Ryehill Football Site Login Admin Only. WebThis Time in History In these videos, find out what happened this month (or any month!) I was wearing a Tartan scarf with a CFC badge sewed on it!. Harry The Dog, died of a drink related illness. Maybe not on same level, but it happened. Brief content visible, double tap to read full content. A character named Harry the Dog became national news and a byword for hooliganism. Harry the Dog is a legend amongst British football hooligans. "The problem of mob violence is not solely a Millwall problem, it is not a football problem, it is a problem which plagues the whole of our society", he said. We always parked at Midland Road which was just behind St Pancras (SP), the road now long subsumed into the redevelopment that took place there. there were lads from Chester le Street and Ferryhill as well as others, such as Jean, who now works with the SAFC SA. Harry tells his story with humour that had me laughing away, not as long a book as you would expect from a legend, and it's obvious he has left so much out Brilliant documentary & this is real Millwall not spotty underdeveloped kids who'd have trouble spitting on their bottom lip. , Enhanced typesetting Knew the face can't remember his name was a bit older than us. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we dont use a simple average. }); The squire on Bromley road? It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Please try again. , Paperback Harry the dog is dead now sadly he was a typical hoolie .he didn't act it ,he was the real deal. Probably the only set of fans left in England that have a bit of fun at football without caring what anyone else thinks. fnv mr new vegas voice actor. In the second-half, a coin was thrown from the terraces, which struck Millwall player Len Julians on the head, drawing blood. London has changed a lot since then mind you. We seem to be going back to that time, politically, with England changing in front of our eyes. Simon said: It's an examination of social discontent in Britain as the beautiful game presented an ugly face, and how the decisions of a few men 30 years ago have impacted their lives today. The stadium announcer warned that the game would be abandoned if there were any more disturbances from the crowd, prompting some Millwall fans to invade the pitch in an unsuccessful attempt to get the game abandoned. At about 2.15pm or so the lads who were organising the whole thing decided that we wouldleave the pub andget the tube to Millwall. JavaScript is disabled. I remember reading something on a Millwall forum, the other member of the F-Troop seen on the BBC documentry 1977, Bob The Wolf is very much alive, and can be seen on You Tube recreating his famous "Glass a northener in the head" quote. In summing this day up what could I say? The stigma of violence attached to Millwall can be traced back over 110 years. $('.athena-blog-content').masonry({ [16] The then chairman Theo Paphitis responded that Millwall could not be blamed for the actions of a mindless minority who attach themselves to the club. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Billy Plummer the young guy with the specs and the mad hair apparently regretted taking part in the interviews in later life, moved the Herne Bay in Kent and sadly committed suicide the day his daughter was due to give birth to a grandchild. Harry the Dog was the leader of Millwalls notorious F-Troop during the 1970's, and the most feared football hooligan of his generation. We were kept in for a good hour.We could hear the Feds outside battling with the Millwall lads but after what seemed like an eternity we were allowed along the back of the main stand and down onto Cold Blow Lane. To inquire about a licence to reproduce material, visit our Syndication site. I like Millwall .My club ,Birmingham has some history with them but they are without doubt a 'proper' football club.I'd say Blues are nearer to Millwall support mentality wise than any other club is to them. It feels like every one they play, somebody will bring up the history they have. color: #ffffff } [12][13], On 11 March 1978 a riot broke out at The Den during an FA Cup quarter-final between Millwall and Ipswich Town, with the home team losing 61. Knew most of them as a few of them drank in my local which was called the Squire in them days the lad with the big hair and glasses was Billy Piummer young lad was Gary Roberts usually got on with them well except of course around September 1976 when there was a couple of rows between our pub the Saxon which was Chels and the Squire I remember one Sunday night Little Tommy from Paddington (RIP) and a few others came over for a drink the Millwall lot came up from the squire and ran most of our mob up the road to Lower Sydenham station I got done pretty bad with a glass luckily I had one of the thick wrap round cardigans on which took most of it as they tried to do me in the back funny enough was drinking with them a couple of weeks later as if nothing had happened funny old game football eh!! A gang of retired hooligans have been targeted by the BBC for a special thugs-reunited TV show. Pitch invasions resulted in another closure in 1947 and in 1950 the club was fined after a referee and linesman were ambushed outside the ground. , Dimensions WebMillwall were cleared of all charges while West Ham were found guilty of two: violent, threatening, obscene and provocative behaviour and failing to prevent their fans entering the field of play. I was at a late 90s game at the New Den, City lost, there was unrest at the club and a demo planned to protest against their then Chairman Peter Mead, of the gun manufacturers. Although the men pictured all had different stories to tell about how they got involved in trouble, there was one common theme. Although he had played for eight different clubs, playing his fewest games (four) for Millwall, and was signed to Bradford City at the time, the BBC used the headline, "Former Millwall striker Gavin Grant guilty of murder". Author is the same on all, Ian Drawie, Drew Alina & Dan Wieral. , Screen Reader I said to the Fedmake it sound as though everything is ok. I used too hear so many stories of Harry the dog when I was a millwall hooligan in the 80s, most true, a few mot so true, one being he was dead. I saw him once, dressed in a pork pie hat and hurling abuse at policemen. Read instantly on your browser with Kindle for Web. [I was] frothing at the mouth with eyes popping out of my head. That's a great football song in a Chas and Dave styleeee! spigelia marilandica for sale If you go on You tube click on best ever football quote. When a fixture like Millwall vs Everton generates headlines of violence, or Millwall vs Wigan for that matter - theres a part of me that just thinks what the f*** is that about?.is there really enough of a rivalry there to explain it? 83' Danny McNamara booked for a Yellow card. Both sets of supporters were primarily made up of dockers, who lived and worked in the same locality in east and south London. rivalry, "Millwall hopes to leave dark history behind in F.A. [9] As a result, rival hooligan firms gained access to the stadium. For Millwalls Ginger Bob being part of a football firm appeared pre-destined. That we duly did, 4 v 1, wasnt really the talking point from the trip; what has subsequently been retold over and over again was the off the field incidents that left Sunderland fans nursing wounds, inflicted by the Millwall fans.One of my mates (who are mostly older than me) went down, dressed like a Xmas Tree and subsequently left at half timeit was that bad. About half a dozen of them trotted towards the high rise flats near the ground, with dogs and we all wondered what the fuck was going on. There are 0 reviews and 0 ratings from Canada, Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations. British Rail Inter city trains that way we could get off any where along the route. [18][19], The most infamous recent example of the rivalry between Millwall and West Ham flaring up was when, in the 200910 season, The Lions were drawn against The Hammers in the Football League Cup. Please try again. m = s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0]; Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. They got pezzled of course by sheer weight of numbers but the sheer brazenness was unnerving (I was 17 at the time).I remember that as we walked towards the ground I spied the signs for a hospital not far from there. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 18, 2021. We walked down and on the tube and away we went. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 29 November 2021, Worst piece of fiction I have ever read,should have called it. Using your mobile phone camera, scan the code below and download the Kindle app. One of these items ships sooner than the other. color: #ff0202 } He was also at the forefront of many of the fist fights, pitch battles and gang warfare that broke out between rival football firms in that era. For Millwalls Ginger Bobbeing part ofa football firm appeared pre-destined. Funnily enough, that Millwall area is probably the least changed (speaking of the social demographics). Shipping cost, delivery date and order total (including tax) shown at checkout. 85' Substitution by Stoke player Ben Pearson make way for Jordan Thompson. Dr Desperate. Harry the Dog; became a homeless alcoholic and died in a shop doorway. I must have been about 12 as were most of the queue. Yeah in a way it is admirable but also sad as they're so small minded. played on my head for a few seconds!. This service is provided on News Group Newspapers' Limited's Standard Terms and Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy. Seven months later, three Liverpool fans received three-month prison sentences and a further two avoided prison sentences but received banning orders. It remained that way at 90 minutes. And you still wouldn't want to bump into any of them in a dark alley. It may not display this or other websites correctly. in history. It was later retrieved by police and determined to be a harmless dummy. Try again. , Language })(window, document, 'script', 'https://google-analytics.com/analytics.js', 'ga'); You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie Preferences, as described in the Cookie Notice. When arriving by Harry's invisibility cloak, the group discovered that the three-headed dog was fast asleep thanks in part to an enchanted harp left by a recent visitor. Football-related violence during the 1980s and 1990s was widely viewed as a huge threat to civilised British society. Luton were asked by Millwall to make the Wednesday night match all-ticket, but this was ignored. ga('send', 'pageview'); transitionDuration: 0, font-size: 14px; [6], The stigma of violence attached to Millwall can be traced back over 110 years. It looks like you're new here. Does this item contain quality or formatting issues? Despite being furious about having broken countless school rules, Hermione had noticed that the dog was standing on a trap door, and guarding something. Something went wrong. It was in this context and background that the Sunderland fans followed the team all over the country, in large numbers, a hostile uninviting England where football hooliganism was rife, at even the most surprising of places eg Bristol Rovers. Redemption links and Kindle Books cannot be resold. These promotions will be applied to this item: Some promotions may be combined; others are not eligible to be combined with other offers. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Millwall was a place that although tarnished with crowd trouble through the years, hadnt really been on anyones radar and so the Roker faithful travelled down, bedecked in the red and white to hopefully witness a win for The Black Cats. Bizarrely, and this is just my personal opinion, I dont get all the photos that crop up on Twitter on match days of fans on trains with booze. The Tories, under Margaret Thatcher would be voted in; by a landslide, and England would never be the same again. Instead the BBC portrayed hooliganism as being deeply rooted in Millwall, and attempted to link them to the far-right political party National Front. [21], On the evening of 25 August 2009, clashes between some Millwall and West Ham fans outside Upton Park resulted in 20 people being injured, including one Millwall fan who was stabbed. Sunderland would end an agonising 4rth, missing out on promotion by just 2 points, from Norwich City in third place. The News of the World, however, bore the headline: "Millwall Thugs Deck Linesman With Concrete". For details, please see the Terms & Conditions associated with these promotions. We had won, although to be frank, that wasnt really my main consideration, which was what would happen next! I'm from Southend and when I worked on the door of the Ivy House on the seafront I had a run in with Harry the Dog and a few of his chaps. Gary Boatsy Clarkes has featured on numerous documentaries and Jason Marriner continues to make his voice heard by speaking at various events around the country. Instead it seeks to demonstrate just how dangerous football hooliganism is, and why the police were quite right to crack down on football violence throughout the eighties and nineties. Will be back for another visit this season. power rangers two headed parrot; kent state hockey roster. And I understand it has to work both ways. : These are portraits of people who chose one path in life and now have all turned their lives around. Billy Plummer - the young guy with the specs and the mad hair - apparently regretted taking part in the interviews in later life, Includes initial monthly payment and selected options. The infamous terrace chant of Millwall supporters , Millwall F.C.West Ham United F.C. There were probably 300 in this group. A mini van full of Millwall kids stood leaning against it and as we walked past they just glared. Sunderland at this time normally took to the field in their quite superb Jubilee Strip, nicknamed that by the club itself it was in recognition of the Queens Jubilee in 1977. You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. The Sun newspaper ran the sensationalist grenade-related headline "Soccer Marches to War! However of course it was red and whites tripes for this game with Millwall playing in their famous blue home kit. We were the first multi-racial football crew in Britain it brought together youths from different areas of Birmingham during the Eighties," he said. [4] Violence started before the match when Luton Town fans hurled bricks, bottles and other projectiles from the roofs of buildings at Millwall fans making their way from the train station to the stadium.