You genuinely have a sense of the town, of the activities around it, of the goings on. [4] I made the maps for the house and Sea Ghost all in Photoshop, and I have uploaded them to my DeviantArt gallery. In particular, U1 requires players to investigate to figure out what's going on in Saltmarsh's haunted house. Running Ghosts of Saltmarsh Chapter 2: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Running Ghosts of Saltmarsh Chapter 3, Danger at Dunwater, Running Ghosts of Saltmarsh Chapter 4: Salvage Operation, Running Ghosts of Saltmarsh Chapter 5: Isle of the Abbey, Running Ghosts of Saltmarsh Chapter 6: The Final Enemy, Running Ghosts of Saltmarsh Chapter 8: The Styes, Running Ghosts of Saltmarsh Chapter 7: Tammeraut's Fate, Running Ghosts of Saltmarsh Chapter 5, Isle of the Abbey, Subscribe to the Sly Flourish weekly newsletter, Fantastic Adventures: Ruins of the Grendleroot, Sly Flourish's Frequently Asked Questions. Luckily, as hard as the situations can be in the caves and on the Sea Ghost, capture is a realistic option and escape is a fun approach to get out of it. [3] The module sleeve contains the following description: Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist's mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. [3] The publication contains large-scale maps, a full background story, and detailed encounter descriptions for the players and DM. Download the tlk file (Saltmarsh_265) and extract into your tlk folder. The module includes optional pre-generated first level characters for use by the players. I was very careful when downloading and installing all the content. [2] The publication contains large-scale maps, a full background story, and detailed encounter descriptions for the players and Dungeon Master (DM). Ghosts of Saltmarsh compiles seven of the best nautical adventure from D&D's history. They may provoke opportunity attacks. They're not very bright, not that easy to control, and prone to either acting stupidly or running away. - some backtracking Frogo, bullywug rogue: level 3 and level 30. You can get it by ordering it above. Magic items should be found by players as treasure and not come as handouts from the DM. Have a question or want to contact me? This was my first attempt at a stand-alone module, and I am forced to think of things in a slightly different light (as opposed to the greater whole where everything is connected and there are multiple parties who are able to figure things out rather quickly). Explore the marshlands and fight new enemies, brave a desolate, haunted mansion, and uncover the true secrets of Saltmarsh! Appelcline, Shannon. Somehow I must have misplaced it in the Required Projects list or removed it from the Haks of Saltmarsh by accident. The problem disappeared in the later parts of the game.. somehow.. thank you! Probably one of the best storylines of any module series. There would eventually be over a dozen, spanning from 1981-1986, most in the U- and UK-series products. The most obvious one being that it was written and published by TSR (UK), the British arm of TSR, which would have a profound effect upon both the type of adventure its pages contained and the type of fantasy. Haunted House Ground Floor. I am back at the Dunwater delta ready to go back to Saltmarsh, but it wont let me get back on the boat. I know resting in inn forwards time but my broke PC could not afford it in the beginning. For example, the body of a woman can wash up on shore. 1 (beta run) Silverymoon; Price of Freedom By the end of the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, the characters will be third level. Bell of Lost Souls℗ is a registered trademark of It is very challenging to solo, you should probably start at level 4. This particular agent, however, will end up dead if the council (and thus Skerrin) finds out that the characters know who it is. web pages Picked earth and fire domains, good (chaotic?) MODULE U1 - SINISTER SECRET OF SALTMARSH *NM/MT 9.8 NEW* DUNGEONS DRAGONS. - at 22 o'clock town hall NPCs spawned only on the 3rd try? This creates a stronger hook than those proposed in the adventure itself. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh contains 10 dungeons and a wilderness adventure area. A high quality scan of this module should be offered for POD, and it would sell well. I have attached a few screenshots from my solo and party playthroughs. I plan to return to this and import all of my fixes and improvements in the next couple of months. I've added scalable familiars/companions, custom summons for rangers/druids, cep weapon feats and so on, all the bug fixes, et al. Journal entries were adequate. Standing Stone Games has just rolled out Dungeons and Dragons Online mini-expansion called Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh. Here are five reasons that the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is one of the best D&D modules youve never played. Do we think they can realistically row up and challenge the whole crew at once? The adventure can be played by 5-10 characters of levels 1-3. Hopefully it's a fun epic battle in which the characters struggle but prevail. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for AD&D Module U1 - THE SINISTER SECRET OF SALTMARSH - Dungeons & Dragons TSR 9062 at the best online prices at eBay! I don't get a journal entry at the start of the module which would be okay, if I'd be drawn into the story right away and didn't have to find out what it is all about, but after I went to Saltmarsh and explored the place I have yet to find anybody who gives me more than a one-liner conversation except for those who tell me about the extra features the PW has (which sort of kills immersion for a single player module). I recently started this module and so far am really enjoying it. Could use a readme with cleric system and explanations of systems. Sigh. Product Information. A small message is added to the bottom of each page of the PDF containing your name and the order number of your purchase. - Corporal Radric on the trip back has wrong conversation Ian Livingstone 1982| title=Dicing with Dragons. Haunted House Cellar. - had problems with cleric as well. There are descriptions of those changes elsewhere in the Module Entrance. No directions. Most newer books are in the original electronic format. All of that has kept me from playing the module thus far. We are going to play this on the 16th so it is time to finalise my prep. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh can be played by five to ten characters of 1st-3rd levels. In short, The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh comes very close to taking Gygaxian naturalism to the next level by teasing out the implications of what a world where the D&D rules apply might look like. My character says one line only. Thanks you! Like Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh-a revelation when it was originally published in 1981, it's been faithfully updated for 5th edition D&D, and it's just as chilling as it was then. Thus, we can help this adventure out by offering a stronger hook. I see the issue. When the characters return to Saltmarsh, the council asks them to go back out to the mansion and infiltrate the Sea Ghost to learn where the pirates on the Sea Ghost are bringing those weapons. Ghosts of Saltmarsh is a collection of seven nautically themed adventures that can serve as the backbone of a campaign. Main quests (quest givers in the tavern, entrances in the wild) The Haunting of Saltmarsh 3/32 Questgiver: Krag; Under the Cover of Darkness 3/32 Questgiver: Anders Solmor; Can people confirm that it works well in multiplayer ? Thieving skills, stealth (or preferably Invisability) are essential. The music choices are excellent. So its worth considering if theres a chance youll play it. Unravel the mystery and rumors of strange happenings to save a remote seacoast town in Dungeons & Dragons Online: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. We be sailing the high seas and for that we need a guide. Las mejores ofertas para Mdulo AD&D U1 - EL SINIESTRO SECRETO DE SALTMARSH - Dungeons & Dragons TSR 9062 estn en eBay Compara precios y caractersticas de productos nuevos y usados Muchos artculos con envo gratis! I had that happen to me with corrupted modules and some versions of NWN:EE. He often told jokes and, after doing so, would clear his throat as though punctuating the joke. What is its sinister secret? The module comes with two adventures: a hau. When you buy the product(s), select: The POD copy I just received is excellent. All the preparation is done for you and every sound you'll need is right at your fingertips. When the characters are done dealing with the skeletons and the alchemist (a really fun encounter so hopefully the characters don't skip it), they will face split groups of scouts and bandits throughout the caves. Quest givers and entrance to the wilderness area is located within the inn. Dungeons & Dragons Online released an adaptation of the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh adventure in 2021. on the Internet. [1] The adventure was written by David J. Browne with Don Turnbull, and published in 1981 as a 32-page booklet with an outer folder. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is a wonderful adventure that helps us stretch a lot of DM muscles that we often talk about on this website and in Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master. All of this is left to the DM. Hopefully I'll be able to get to these soon but I'm currently wrapped up in a few other projects. Let them attack in waves and don't be afraid to tweak their hit points for the flow of the story. The issue with the dialogue with the boat was the result of one of the BD updates that changed the walkmesh for certain placeables (mostly rowboats), but I suspect pathfinding also was a culprit. Sorry to hear that. I have been working on an update which fixes just about anything there was. Some might be afraid to run up on deck. Learn where the smugglers are bringing the weapons. DMsGuild.com. Published in 1981, U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh stood out from any adventure for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons which had come before it for many reasons. "[2] Bambra noted that the adventure's main thrust engages the players' problem solving skills, forcing them to piece clues together, and that the encounters in the adventure should present no problems to an intelligent party. The smugglers in the basement don't break down into perfectly balanced little combat encounter groups. Had to check in toolset. The first part is set in the town of Saltmarsh and deals with unraveling the secret of the haunted house that lies on the edge of town. There is a mystery to solve, npc's to rescue, villians to thwart! Those are invaluable and the kind of things a builder looks for in feedback. Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is an excellent classic adventure, written in 1981 to usher in a series of adventures written in the UK (where TSR grew to have a strong presence - we can see the remains of that effort even today). Also added more instructions for module installation (to include where to put CMP music files since I forgot to add that in the original instructions). If you want to run this in 5e, just use Ghosts of Saltmarsh. Though "Secret of Saltmarsh" synthesizes a lot of tropes from earlier RPG releases, it still manages to be very much its own adventure. Three of the adventures (Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater, and The Final Enemy) are narratively connected to each other and the town of Saltmarsh.The other four are not specifically connected to the story, but there are suggested changes that can be made to . [6] Freelance gaming author James Maliszewski calls it "one of the best low-level modules ever written for Dungeons & Dragons" and "a superb example of adventure design". BoLS Interactive LLC. In this session the characters can spend a few days reconnecting with Saltmarsh, tying back in with their backgrounds, investigating leads they might have come across, or anything else they might want to do. Please critique as I may be using them in the game and I want them to be the best I can make them. It's hard to run some of these situations. The adventure is set in the World of Greyhawk. secrets of heavenly by teresa robison goodreads. Search the history of over 797 billion The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is an AD&D module written by Dave J. Browne with Don Turnbull. I figured this out only after tinkering in toolset and noticing that you have separate day/night NPC spawns so you have to wait till morning until you can find that NPC in correct place with correct dialogue. It doesnt hold your hand, it wants you to work for it. The adventure can be played by 5-10 characters of level 1-3. Slight fix and addendum. Like Tales from the Yawning Portal before it, Ghosts of Saltmarsh takes several classic D&D modules (this time around an aquatic theme) and updates and revitalizes them for 5th Edition. He listed the positive elements of the module as "the very matter-of-fact way it portrays a fantasy world" and the new spin it gives to "the standard low-level D&D tropes". 35 of White Dwarf magazine by wikipedia:Jim Bambra, who scored it 9 out of 10 and described it as entertaining and interesting. It's hard to run some of these situations. [7], Ken Denmead of Wired listed the module as one of the "Top 10 D&D Modules I Found in Storage This Weekend". Based and grounded in the World of Greyhawk, this adventure is an example of the live action server we run, The World of Greyhawk Action Server. Uploaded by Please feel free to mail corrections, comments, and additions to shannon.appelcline@gmail.com. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh can be played by five to ten characters of 1st3rd levels. Placed the non-compressed file in there for some reason. D&D Dungeon Module U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh TSR #9062. secret of the kabbalah by. heavenly powers unraveling the secret history of the kabbalah. Sea Ghost Main Deck. Dicing with Dragons, An Introduction to Role-Playing Games, "Review of the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh", "Retrospective: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh", "Top 10 D&D Modules I Found in Storage This Weekend", "Explore A Spooky Town And Face New Foes In DDO's Sinister Secret Of Saltmarsh Expansion", Dungeon Master Option: High-Level Campaigns, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Sinister_Secret_of_Saltmarsh&oldid=1128622723, Role-playing game supplements introduced in 1981, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 21 December 2022, at 02:56. The module is divided into two parts, The Haunted House and Sea Ghost, which are intended to be played consecutively. They know to run when the jig is upthey know to gang up on foes, and to set up ambushes if theyre alerted to the problems. Overall, he felt that "TSR (UK) are to be congratulated on their first module, the series should prove to be interesting and entertaining. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is the first adventure of seven in the Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign book. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is a wonderful adventure that helps us stretch a lot of DM muscles that we often talk about on this website and in Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master. 35 of White Dwarf magazine by Jim Bambra, who scored it 9 out of 10 and described it as entertaining and interesting. When ranking the top adventures in Dungeon it was listed at 27, though I would argue it should place higher. This DM Version is based on Oraweb's NWN mod of the original U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. An evil Alchemist's mansion stands alone on a cliff and mysterious lights and hauntings have kept people away despite rumors of great treasure. Instead of a good old dungeon crawl, players got to explore a big old spooky house, and deal with all sorts of annoying wandering monsters, as well as traps and illusions."[8]. You can see, but probably not read my hand writing, that I am doing my usual sprinkling of post-it notes. At night he'll be at the Town Council chambers. Deity system got fixed after I compiled module myself. I never met Master Ian before i just went out of town.By night or by day, constabulary, Kraken, Mermaid, nothing.Now i'm back and the council meets and seems preoccupied.Looks are great, though.I'll not vote for now. - night and day cycle is frustrating. Just be prepared to NOT exit from the other end when you are inside the Lair of the Lizard People. Indeed, action picks up almost immediately after the events of its predecessor, which makes it quite easy to use at the table. This adventure is full of dynamic situations, intrigue, and potential downtime activities. :). It's frustrating when an update breaks things that used to work. If things go straight into combat on the Sea Ghost, spread things out so the characters aren't facing all of the crew at once. Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help! Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumors of fabulous forgotten treasure. And there are nasty surprises in terms of traps and secrets waiting for characters at times usually without it being overtly frustrating, although I would encourage at least one character in the party with investment in the search skill otherwise you may be 'searching' for solutions to puzzles for some time. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh was written as a lead-in to a three module series that includes Danger at Dunwater and The Final Enemy. I had a good laugh when I discovered my "things that a farmer, his wife, daughter, girl, son, and pig might say" was being used for your commoners. I edited the module using the toolset to move the "old boat" object up several units to make it reachable. Bear in mind that you aren't likely to complete it in one session and you may need 2 or 3 sessions to complete it. Write down a handful of possible downtime activities given their location, the current point in the story, and the backgrounds of the characters. New Module version uploaded to correct some missing Module events (such as deities among others), and renamed a hak to avoid cep confusion. Today is the day for Dungeons and Dragons Online players to get their boots mired in water, mud, and secrets.Today marks the launch of the Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh update, bringing with it a marshland full of enemies, a haunted manor, 10 new dungeons for players to plumb, and the Horizon Walker enhancement tree. Four miles east of Saltmarsh, just inland of the old coast road The secret of the Haunted House is that the house is not in. Update: 7/12/19: Corrected a few minor issues and added a bit more "direction". The very first villager that you run into suggests the PC should go to the Kraken. They hide their activities under the guise of a haunted house that once belonged to a powerful alchemist. Running downtime sessions, which we'll talk about in detail in another article, are a different type of D&D scene. Chapter 2 of Ghosts of Saltmarsh doesn't describe when to level characters. I can say that the live version has several of the issues you highlighted addressed (the curse of running two different versions at once). The adventure can be played by 5-10 characters of level 1-3. Update: 11/5/21: Fixed all bugs, added more features, quality of life improvements, restored sea cave ceilings, and added a number of other flourishes, enhancements, portraits, voicesets. the sinister secret of saltmarsh. I'm pulling this down until then. - Arena cutscene does not make sense. $19.99. The work itself is a collaborative effort between myself, The Krit, Mr. Zork, Nocturne, Ratik and DM Raine. Please make a Print On Demand option for this book. In this preview, however, only the following 5 dungeons are available to preview: Danger at Dunwater 3/32 The Final Enemy 3/32 What Sleeps Below 3/32 The Hijacked Haul 3/32 Back to Basics 3/32 We have detected that . and looking out to sea, stands the Haunted House. Both download and print editions of such books should be high quality. [2] The module sleeve contains the following description: Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist's mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e) Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e) Dwimmermount (ACKS) A Village With No Name [Sandbox] (2e AD&D) North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord) Under Streets of Splendor (2ed) Anything Goes: Vol. Also, made NPC Oceanus truly aquatic/amphibious so he may survive above or below water. Downloading update, and starting fresh runwas great, only issue was couldn't progress, before update. Its a lot of fun. Could someone please tell me which pages are cropped off? It features undead horrors, smugglers, pirates (parrots and hooks included!) Instead of a good old dungeon crawl, players got to explore a big old spooky house, and deal with all sorts of annoying wandering monsters, as well as traps and illusions."[7]. Following Brian's suggestion I have taken the haunted house from The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh as the basis of my haunted house. This is a good chance to fail forward. The loyalist council member and smuggler Gellan Primewater himself has such an affectation and Skerrin knows it so he uses it to steer attention away from him and towards the corrupt council member who he plans to either turn to the Brotherhood or remove from the council. Additionally, our own custom HCR scripts and Loot Systems are in place. Pages in category "Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh Expansion Items" The following 17 pages are in this category, out of 17 total. According to TSR's official codes, the "U" coding on "Secret of Saltmarsh" stands for "underwater." I'd love to give this a shot but I can't seem to download the WOG custom HAK. Make sure you either have the Required Projects (hyperlinks near bottom) and extract into your hak folder (CEP 2.65). - Mermaid statue became hostile to me after Final Enemy.. some faction issue? I have the ORIGINAL Modules (all three) and as a player I loved that's why I bought them to DM I loved having them figure it out and face the consequences when they did not. Skerrin sent Ned to find out what the smugglers are doing there so Skerrin can figure out how to use it to the advantage of the Brotherhood. An evil Alchemist's mansion stands alone on a cliff and mysterious lights and hauntings have kept people away despite rumors of great treasure. This tends to come up as advice in every article I write for 1st level adventures and it's still just as important when running Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. The adventure can be played by 5-10 characters of levels 1-3. View Profile Graeme Morris, who did cartography, editing, and production for the entire U-series, would go on to greater fame as the author of the majority of TSR UK's adventures. "[1], The module was ranked the 27th greatest Dungeons & Dragons adventure of all time by Dungeon magazine in 2004. That said, the adventure is well-written and well-paced. Ned, however, doesn't know who Skerrin is. Master Ian by day can be found at the Kraken. The module was positively reviewed in Issue No. After that had no effect, I learned that much of the module information is stored in the save file. Needless to say, there be Spoilers Ahead, so Im going to go ahead and drop this Spoiler Warning right here. This module contains large-scale maps, full background information, and detailed encounter descriptions for the players and DM. Update: 1/19/22: Fixed missing door textures in Saltmarsh. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is the first installment in a series of three modules designed and developed in the United Kingdom, for beginning adventures with AD&D rules. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumors of a fabulous forgotten treasure. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is a module for the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons ( AD&D) roleplaying game, written by Dave J. Browne with Don Turnbull. For instance, during the night most villagers won't spawn outside. :D A party of 4 level 3 or 4 characters should find a very good experience in this mod. I've made some maps for the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh Haunted House. What if they lose? These ebooks were created from the original electronic layout files, and therefore are fully text searchable. To make things a little easier on the characters, consider leveling them to 3rd once they have cleared out the smugglers under the house so they have more resources to take on the crew of the Sea Ghost. The characters might escape or might be transported to the Sea Ghost when it comes back in. One-click unsubscribe later if you don't enjoy the newsletter. [5]. We use our own custom deity system here, so make sure to read those changes and requirements before proceeding as a Cleric. MODULE U1 - SINISTER SECRET OF SALTMARSH, DUNGEONS DRAGONS. The look is dark and broody, very nicly done. AD&D modules produced by TSR UK, and set near the town of Saltmarsh. This module has a huge problem which is lack of direction. If The Sea Ghost is probably the easiest to run as written, or with minor changes, this one. For maps showing the insides of the adventure locations - the Haunted House and the Sea Ghost, as well as the Lizardfolk Lair - check out our DM's Resources for The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh and Danger at Dunwater respectively. date=February 11, 2009. https://www.wired.com/geekdad/2007/12/top-10-dd-mod-3-3/, https://greyhawkonline.com/greyhawkwiki/index.php?title=The_Sinister_Secret_of_Saltmarsh&oldid=55838, Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike, 3, 4, 21, 28, 37-59, 61, 65, 79, 80, 111, 229, 246, 247, 248, 252, 253, SEE ALSO U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, This page was last edited 07:24, 16 August 2021 by Greyhawk Wiki user. The visual effects are stunning.