What is the recovery time for hammer toe surgery? Because of supply chain shortages as well as staffing shortages particularly during the pandemic, many institutions extended the time between dressing changes for chronic wounds. You will be back to your dancing and I will be back to cycling in time. Somersworth, NH 03878 Dr. B. is online now Related Medical Questions the-good-doctor After two days I would say that I have noticed a huge improvement in the discomfort I have been experiencing. In some cases, you may need to stay off of your feet for a few days. Elevating the foot can speed up healing and reduce pain. Please help! The doctor will tell you the dose you need to use and for how long. Please give me some idea if this is normal!!!! Since reading several patient accounts I now realize the recovery is likely 3-5 months. The deformity typically causes calluses or corns to develop on the toe. During that time, there are some things you can do to ensure you heal properly and minimize the pain and swelling (these two often go hand in hand). We commonly utilize the Silipos or silicone hammertoe pads. im 5 weeks ans 1 day. After surgery, a person will typically feel some pain in the toe and must have someone drive them home. Your toe and foot will have some redness, swelling, and pain after surgery. Again, I want In some cases, the return of the deformity can be a consequence of a technical mistake during surgery. Your surgeon may use an X-ray machine or a thin surgical tool with a camera mounted on the tip to create images of your toes to guide the surgical procedure. Get Plenty of Rest To Promote Healing After Foot or Ankle Surgery. Thank you for your very interesting and informative site! They will slowly get better with time. (603) 964-6555 If you don't elevate, fluid may collect in the foot and cause additional pain. My doctors visit is in 3.5 weeks away and I need to end the pain and reduce swelling now. Bunion removed 12 yrs. Scarring since the surgeon has cut the skin, there will be a scar left at the incision site. im hobbling. I hit the tip of my toes and the pins were pushed in. just started antibiotics today, but im super worried and just want ti be back to normal. However, I think he ripped some crust that had formed over. Learn more about some specific conditions that require medical attention, including surgery. Posted Then, the surgeon will use pins to help keep the joint in place. This comment is to let one know what to expect with hammertoe surgery. There are two distinct types: In the early stages, the joint is still movable. "The most common complaint is stiffness and swelling of the toe, which can last for a few months," says Dr. Botek. 3 Types of Foot Strikes That May Cause You Foot Pain While Running, The Quickest Way to Recover From Foot Surgery, New Office Location, Same Great Foot Care: Serving Seabrook and Somersworth, Dr. Nagy Receives Atlas-FAI Certification for Foot Alignment Treatment, Things to Consider About Where You Have Foot Surgery, Why You Wont Need Crutches After Foot Surgery. We are committed to providing educational information because, at Nagy Footcare, our best day is the day you wake up with no foot pain. One of the most effective ways to reduce swelling is to ensure you get enough rest. I interviewed 7 surgeons before settling on my surgeon but it was hard to find references from former bunion patients so I'm just praying everything will work out! A surgical site creates a wound, so there is the small possibility of developing an infection afterward, according to Premier Podiatry. Certain food groups have a tendency to raise your blood sugars and should be avoided. The patient should understand that mild-to-moderate swelling persists for many months after surgery and limits footwear options until it has resolved. Thank you. Last wk. Still, if there is too much swelling, that might slow down the recovery, which is why we take steps to reduce it sometimes. Be well! Did you try bare feet or socks around the house? Weve explained all the options in the text below. Hi Rebecca. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use on the sides of my feet. In rare cases, the infection can reach the bone, causing a serious infection called osteomyelitis. Marc Mitnick DPM Mar 10, 2017 Rating different toes by: Stefany In fact we go no where. It is swollen and frozen. Andrew worked the entire time after surgery and had absolutely no pain or need for pain medication. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Hammer toe surgery can be highly effective in people for whom the primary or only issue is hammer toe. The thinner the person the greater the positive impa, One of the best ways to help yourself heal faster after surgery is to eat well. Obviously, I cannot do anything like that. What to Expect After Hammertoe Surgery? Allowing adequate space for your toes will help relieve pressure and pain. It helps but not much. Surgery was done to stop pain from fractured toe that was still painful after 2 years so I've had this pain for 3 years now. It was so great to get to your Have you experienced this? The surgery should not hurt. CLICK HERE INSTEADvar cid='1957822116';var pid='ca-pub-1552388110506181';var slotId='div-gpt-ad-foot_pain_explained_com-medrectangle-3-0';var ffid=2;var alS=2021%1000;var container=document.getElementById(slotId);container.style.width='100%';var ins=document.createElement('ins');ins.id=slotId+'-asloaded';ins.className='adsbygoogle ezasloaded';ins.dataset.adClient=pid;ins.dataset.adChannel=cid;if(ffid==2){ins.dataset.fullWidthResponsive='true';} After surgery, you may have a wire or pin holding your toe joint together. I normally never wear trainers except for the gym; they have always made my feet feel claustrophobic , and they go with none of the sort of clothes I wear. I also interviewed a lot of doctors. After he removed my pin, he sent me home without any bandages, just the steri strips. And it hurts, shooting pain that is amplified when I put that surgical sandal on to go to the bathroom. In most cases, you should expect recovery to last about six weeks - after this period, pain and swelling should be gone. Specially designed footwear will also have to be worn after bunion surgery, just like after correcting hammertoes. She earned a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine from Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine and a Bachelor of Arts in biology from William Paterson University. Is swelling something that you should worry about after surgery? Embrace Positivity. Once you are comfortable, you can go home with your chosen companion. How can I minimize the swelling and pain in my toes 7weeks after surgery? If your feet are still swollen please don't force them in shoes. Ahammertoeis a deformity of your toe, where the middle joint is pulled out of alignment by tight muscles or tendons. I live in Southern California so I can at least sit outside and don't have to deal with weather. If left untreated, hammertoes can become painful and cause mobility issues. Our board . I have a big problem with swelling and I dread trying to put on my soft trainers. Home treatment and better shoes may offer temporary relief from the pain, and a doctor may recommend trying a custom orthotic device before surgery. Chronically swollen toes can also be the result of a symptomatic non-union at an attempted arthrodesis site. effective way to correct a hammer toe, however by fusing the toe we make the toe stiff at one of the joints. Keep ice on your foot during your waking hours for the first few days after your surgery to control pain and reduce swelling. Infection whenever there is an incision on your skin, an infection is a possibility. If a person is squeamish, does not want to see the procedure, or has a phobia of knives or needles, they might prefer general anesthesia. Is swelling this high up away from the surgery normal. We link primary sources including studies, scientific references, and statistics within each article and also list them in the resources section at the bottom of our articles. My doctor, voted best in my state, did not put any permanent hardware in my foot and he also does not believe in physical therapy. Can you do something to help yourself get through the recovery period as smoothly as possible? So we had surgery just one day apart and we are also a year apart. Notes on 6 weeks after bunion/hammertoe surgery - foot quite swollen, https://patient.info/forums/discuss/6-weeks-after-bunion-hammertoe-surgery-foot-quite-swollen-722059. I was told that it will get better and the swelling will go down within time. Patient is a UK registered trade mark. There have been cases in which 2 months after surgery, although the recommended treatment has reduced swelling a bit, the dense fibrous tissue has given a fusiform (tapered at both ends) appearance to the toes. During a tendon transfer, the surgeon pulls a tendon near the hammer toe across the top of the joint. It seems that you do go out, have some social life. Thank you for that. This is not you; after bunion surgery, gentle movement is important, so you must take your time and be realistic. Below are the best ways to slow or stop swelling for patients who've recently undergone surgery to their feet or ankles. FAX: (603) 964-6515. Are there lighter weight boots for small frame, small boned woman? My feet are not sore to walk at all! I developed bone growth on these two toes and a lump on side of my 4th toe. I'm so paranoid and just want a 2nd opinion. She had her surgery on June 9th, 2011. Simply click here to return to Ask the doctor. Pain and Swelling. Avoid over-the-counter medicated corn-removal products, many of which contain acid that can cause severe skin irritation. Bandages and stitches removed on day 15 (Dec. 6th) and there was an infection beside my right big toe. I put antibiotic ointment over that open wound and my husband taped over the wound and all around the foot. Today I had the idea of holding some frozen pea packets against the swelling. What are the best ways to cut an ingrown toenail. The only way to correct rigid hammertoes is to undergo surgery. And I cannot stand up and cook either. The initial post-operative periodusually between 24 and 36 hours after surgerymay require constant or prolonged elevation to help wounds heal and bleeding subside. Patients with hammertoes often have other toe problems, such as bunions or corns. After a hammertoe surgery, a mild swelling is normal. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our. . If youre living with the pain and mobility issues caused by ahammertoe, a minimally invasive surgery to correct your toe deformity may be the best treatment to resolve your symptoms. Read More. Specialties: Northwest Surgery Center has been performing minimally invasive bunion surgery in the U.S. for more than 30 years. Swelling could last up to a year, but the pain should subside fairly soon after the operation. I can't even stand to have a blanket on my foot yet. I am now 6 weeks post hallux varus - big toe fusion with 4 pins (2 in each) in 2nd and 3rd Hammer toes. I started to wrap my toe with coban this week like Dr. Mitnick suggests. I am limping worse than before and I feel quite discouraged. Hammer toe surgery requires the cutting of skin, nerves, tendon and bone, and as such, pain and swelling are not unexpected following the surgery, according to Premier Podiatry. All rights reserved. I'm 64 and a very active cyclist and hiker so this is brutal. Patients usually have few. Can poor sleep impact your weight loss goals? Holiday shopping on Amazon. I wonder when I'll be able to go for a walk and not end up limping and hobbling because my feet have swollen. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'foot_pain_explained_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_3',177,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-foot_pain_explained_com-medrectangle-4-0');MedlinePlus, Columbia University Department of Rehabilitation. Get a 10% Discount on Minimally Invasive Hammertoe Surgery Today Patients should be able to return to their normal lifestyle. Following surgery, most people experience swelling, which can last up to a year. Tomorrow I will try the trainers again. Ask an Expert Medical Questions I still have pain and swelling 7 weeks after hammertoe Dr. B., Doctor 7,827 Satisfied Customers Physician with 8 years of experience. This means you need to draw an imaginary figure A, then B, then C and so on, all the way to Z. Recovery: As it is true to any given medical procedure, the recovery rate varies from person to person. I teach tennis so am supposed to wear while teaching. A host of potential complications may result from hammertoe surgery and the most common list includes but is not limited to: infection, neuritis, painful or unsightly scarring, chronic swelling, malunion or nonunion of bone, and recurrence of deformity. Some days the swelling is worst than others. Your doctor may suggest that you elevate for about 30 minutes every two hours or on an as-needed basis if you notice a high amount of swelling or pain after the initial .