By that same token, the passer of the ball has to play the proper foot when the opportunity presents itselfand yes, youve got to hammer home that point also. Freshmen - 3:45-5:45 pm Stevenson High School Game Field 13 -, If we cannot get outside due to weather, we will go 6-8 pm - Stevenson Fieldhouse 3-4 (wear indoor shoes), If we cannot get outside due to weather, we will varsity at 6-7 am on the PWC Turf and JV at 6-7 am in the Sportscenter, Varsity - 3:45-5:45 pm on Game Field 13 or 6-8 pm on Fieldhouse 3-4, JV - 3:45-5:45 pm on Game Field 13 or 4:45-6 pm PWC Turf, Freshmen - 3:45-5:45 pm on Game Field 13 or 3:30-4:45 pm PWC Turf, 9 am - Freshman Green/Gold Scrimmage on Game Field 13, 9 am - JV Green/Gold Scrimmage on Stadium, 10:30 am - Varsity Green/Gold Scrimmage on Stadium. For more information regarding future events, go to www.stevensonbulldogssports.com Register now to play at the top of the page, look for the Athlete Registration Link. This is better than running past the target, but only slightly. The bigger pass is often the one that decisively breaks pressure. Jay began his coaching career when he was in high school as a volunteer after he was sidelined by an ACL injury. They need to ask themselves, If I was her, and I wanted to play with one touch, where would I want my teammate to be?. When the angle of support they give him requires a perfectly square lay-off, they havent made his life much easier. The health of a successful program begins with a student athletes desire to represent their school and become a living example of Stevenson Girls Soccer. BUTYOU & YOUR PLAYERS MUST COMMIT TO THE LONG HAUL!!! Factoring in the next pass will GREATLY improve your teams speed of play and, in turn, help you keep the ball. Then its time for the next two players to go. Read More About SPIRIT GEAR AVAILABLE. Theyd want her in a seam that ran between opponents. It means 11 players making it as difficult as possible for the opponent to win back the ball. Another problem you will encounter when a supporting player gives a bad passing angle is that the player on the ball will momentarily suspend rational thought and try to pass the ball to that teammate anyway. We frequently want our players to play with one touch. By that same token, when your team has the ball, you want to make the opponent cover large expanses of land to pressure the ball. The faster you play, the more difficult it is for the opponent to get organized defensively. This is the war of wills we wage against our players when it comes to possession soccer. Her movement into that path means that she has put herself between the passer of the ball and the person about to receive it, and that leaves the passer in dead space. Your battle as a coach is convincing your players that its okay to choose the SIMPLEST path. For your team to keep the ball, the players need to understand that merely getting the ball to a teammate IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! On 11/4, the Stevenson varsity soccer team lost their neutral playoff game against Naperville Central (Naperville, IL) by a score of 5-0. Thats why its an excellent idea to teach your players the three-step rule. So when you cannot string four passes together, string three. Shuttle Details Including Early Start Transportation will be distributed prior to Day 1, Winter Open Play & Weightroom Mid January weather dependent, 12 Month Stevenson Girls Soccer Program Vision, Junior Varsity 1 & 2 / Sophomore / Freshman Commitment, Daily practices including some Saturdays Feb 28 to Late May, Winter Season (1-2 days / Strength & Conditioning), Summer (1-2 days League / Strength & Conditioning), Pictures:DATE TBD Now, we need to get it to the PROPER FOOT. NEW! As coaches, we are always trying to simplify the game for our players. Athletic Department Celebrates "FAB FOUR:" 200 Freestyle Relay State Champs! Mike Capre, 1988-89 Everyones life is easier when they can receive the ball facing the field. Head Coach:Jay Bulev Normally, getting out of dead space is a matter of TAKING THREE STEPS to either side. Ive got to look at my targets situation and assess where her pass SHOULD go. Then have the defender hold out the hockey stick to see if they got it right. This can be a tough topic for players to get the hang of, but it is VERY IMPORTANT, nonetheless. See the Girls Varsity Soccer schedule for the Bulldogs. All she has to do is lay the ball down somewhere in front of her support. They will cave to the pressure, quickly abandon their style, and end up looking just like any other team. Think of all the players as if they were marbles on a table. He spent 10 years as a coach at the NCAA Division III school after playing for there for two seasons. today Upcoming Events. She has to play a perfect ball that keeps her teammate perfectly in stride and that is an awful lot of perfection to ask of anyone. If it breaks the line between your feet and the ball, the passing angle is UNACCEPTABLE. Fees need to be paid online (see the instructions forSchoolPay on the athletic website). If you receive it behind the fence, youve got an excellent chance of breaking pressure. Because soccer is a fluid game, these seams are constantly moving---appearing, disappearing and reappearing. Schedule Roster Jul 1, 2022 @ 12:00am Nearby Soccer Teams Canton Churchill Clarenceville Crestwood THREE STEPS [at least] is a VERY valuable habit! It is soccers answer to the 6-4-3 double play or a basketball alley-oop pass/dunk. Vs Vernon Hills 4:45pm / JV @ Vernon Hills 5:30pm / Practice Sat March 27th late PM Chavez guided the Bethel womens team to a 28-20-6 record in three seasons from 2007-09, while the men were 19-33-2 during the same time. What do you do when a player takes two touches when he couldve gotten the job done with one? ***When you are running possession exercises, make sure your players are CONSTANTLY evaluating the numbers! As far as pure possession exercises go, all a player can really do to be successful is CONNECT A PASS. Feb 26 2021 SHS Football Roster . If status changes, the balance will be collected. If youre going to be a possession team, then you need a TEAM FULL OF PLAYERS who are committed to possessing the ball. High School Fall Sports is in full swing. Because soccer is such a fluid game, the picture is always changing. It is impossible for a player to play quickly if she has to make her decisions AFTER she has the ball. Ive got to ask myself, Who should she pass to?. To get the ball, make a teammates life easy and get into that seam. Rememberwe said its no longer good enough to merely get the ball to a teammate. Wellthey wouldnt want her hiding behind opponents. Your players have to EMPATHIZE with their teammates. 32. Cut/No-Cut Sport? To keep the ball at a high level, players must hold themselves to a higher standard. Players need to empathize with the teammate who is about to receive the ball. As a player for the Royals in 2001 and 2002, Chavez had two of the most prolific seasons in school history. Sometimes, it is so obvious that its literally painful. Every inch of space you waste is an inch you are CONCEDING to the opponent. In the first few rounds, those jabs have no significant effect. Watch highlights of Utica Stevenson High School Boys Varsity Football from Sterling Heights, MI, United States and check out their schedule and roster on Hudl. Before you know it, your 4-pass runs are becoming five, six, and seven-pass runs. 50 Juggles Feet Only (5 minutes) *40 Yards w/ Ball, 2v2v2 / 3v3v3 / 4/4/4 Modified Possession Activities 4v4 games, Individual, partner and small group activities, Late pre-season / Club tournaments & summer play. Stevenson's stats have been entered for the 2-1 win @ Lake Zurich on 9/8/2022 6:45 PM. They want to affect the scoreboard as quickly and as often as possible. Submit an inquiry form and we will send you information about what to expect moving forward. This allows me to open up my body, which in turn opens up more of the field for me. You need ELEVEN players on the field who get it. When it comes to possession, EVERY INCH MATTERS, and I mean that literally. However, if you play the TWENTY-YARD PASS and the teammate who receives it plays the way she is facing, the bypassed teammate is already underneath the target and immediately becomes an option to receive that next ball. 2022 UW-Oshkosh Football Golf Outing; 2022 UW-Oshkosh Titan Golf Classic; Corporate Partners; . 2000, 2004, 2009 Word Roster Stat Crew Roster (TRO TRX) Facebook. Stevenson High School Striving for Excellence; Learning for Life Stevenson High School SHS Athletic Schedule Index Athletics Schedules Index SHS Athletic Schedule Index Stevenson Athletic Schedules Index All information is accurate as of posting, but subject to change. A player cannot do that if she doesnt have teammates giving her USEFUL options.particularly in the direction she is facing. This is a principle that ALL players need to understand, but it is PARTICULARLY CRUCIAL for your center midfielders. Twitter. Locations:Vernon Hills Athletic Complexand SHScampus (Turf Field 13). Striving for Excellence; Learning for Life, Athletic Director: Arnold "Arnie" MuscatPhone: (734) 744-2660, ext. 48916Fax: (734) 744-2828, Colors: Double Blue (Columbia and Navy) and White, Football/Soccer Stadium: Lester C. Anders Field (dedicated 1967), Competition Gym: Jay W. Formsma Memorial Gymnasium (dedicated 1973), 2023 Spring Sports Try-Out/First Practice Information Sheet, 2022-23 Stevenson Booster Club Flyer / Membership Form. Possession soccer is more than WE HAVE THE BALL AND YOU DONT. "I vividly remember that between the ages of 6 and 12 all that mattered to me and my friends was playing soccer all day every day. ATHLETIC FEES FOR THE 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR! Obviously, you are a lot more likely to keep the ball when you have good numbers and a lot less likely to keep it when the numbers are bad. The Letter L is a technical exercise to help improve this skill. MaxPreps is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. 2022 Illinois High School Boys Soccer Playoff Brackets: IHSA Class 3A. Now, have half of them form a line as the passer; while the other half forms a line to take your spot as the supporting player. 1) The part where your team has the ball. In moments like this, you need to FREEZE PLAY, recreate the event and ask the passer how it could have turned out better? They need to put themselves in the best possible position to TURN THE BALL. Thats how to give an angle of support that is better than square. Community is the foundation of our program and our ability to stay connected with community programs and clubs will allow us to sustain a competitive program. Your players all need the ability to look at a snapshot of the field and immediately identify good numbers or bad numbers. For your team to keep the ball, merely getting into the proper seam isnt enough. Smart Player/Approach = The way I see itthe more touches I take, the more likely I am to lose the ballSo I just try to get it to a teammate as soon as possible.. At this point, your defender should look something like the Eifel Towerwith the hockey sticks representing the reach of her legs if she stuck out a foot to intercept a pass. ***Its very important that the players are observing from the ends of the area and not the sides of it. So what the player who receives the initial pass cant see, the player she drops the ball to CAN. Speed of Play is soccers Holy Grail because SOP is what wins games. This concept isnt the easiest thing in the world for a lot of players to understand. And youre going to have to light one bulb at a time, MANY TIMES OVER. If the supporting player stops underneath the target, her layoff doesnt have to be perfect---it just has to be decent. Smart possession players are greedy about that one inch because they know that the further the opponent has to chase to get the ball, the less likely she is to actually get it. Graeme Millar. 48916 Athletic Office Athletic Secretary: Kate Rogula Phone: (734) 744-2660 ext. If they dont have the necessary time and space to settle the ball, they cant pretend that they do. Hound them to make the adjustment and play with one-touch. By John Hallead on Feb 26, 2021 . The player on the ball is going to need a lot of help from her teammates if your team is going to keep the ball. Stevenson's stats have been entered for the 1-1 tie @ Round Lake on 10/11/2022 6:15 PM. They will say they do because theyll be bored and want to move on to other things. ***My point is that you cant just coach speed of play through touch restrictions. Establish the reach of the hockey sticks on either side of the defender. Weve all heard about chess masters who are thinking THREE MOVES AHEAD. Receiving across my standing leg means that if a pass is arriving from my left side, I am going to let the ball roll across the front of my body, open up my hips, and receive it with the inside of my right foot.