Developed "straight from the horse's mouth". Example: This party is dryshite. For the benefit of any American readers, let me clarify that when we say Craic in Ireland, we dont mean either the substance you smoke on a street corner or the crack in your arse. A nice way to say f*ck is feck. Feck this, Im not listening to him shitting on for any longer, or That fecker was in here mooching about the place again this morning, for instance. I got tickets to the Aslan concert, for instance. Meaning: (Noun) In Irish slang, the word clown is a person who is silly and loves to joke all the time. Meaning: (Phrase) In a heap/hoop is a person who is overly intoxicated. Going for a kip means going for a sleep, while saying somewhere is a kip means the place is dirty or bad in some way. Even more deadly slang that is unique to Ireland and the Irish. Buncrana: A popular holiday destination. When someone says Sure look in response to your question while you are conversing, they usually mean it is what it is. Nevertheless, it might also mean that the person youre speaking to is either uninterested in what youre saying or is unsure of how to react. Its often called squash or cordial in other countries. It has the same meaning in the English language. Example: Come meet my mucker. Meaning: Hes really going for itExample of usage and translation: Yer man was giving it socks on the dance floor last night = That guy was dancing non-stop last night, Meaning: Bad or terribleExample of usage and translation: Youre a poxy bleedin liar = Youre a terrible F****** liar, Meaning: How embarrassing for you.Note: The complete version of this slang phrase is scarlet for your ma for having ya which translates as You did something extremely embarrassing and should be disowned.. Shite Meaning shit, rubbish or pants. The hostel were staying in is a kip and a half, for instance! If youre unfamiliar with the terms, Bollox or Bollocks refer to a mans testicles in slang. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Is there anywhere else we can go? Story horse? Meaning: (Noun) A pox is a slang used in Ireland for a person who causes nuisance. Example: Gday beour. Example: Its spitting outside but it might rain harder, so dont forget your umbrella. Fair play! Theres also the possibility of using this Irish proverb to describe someone who is bull-thick (aka angry). Rainey weather type. 15 Things That Might Amaze You, The Two Fascinating Capitals of Ireland Dublin and Belfast, What is a Banshee? Stop acting the maggot. When I was starting to put together this list with my husband, I wanted to run this list by him. Youll hear stall it when someone wants to pause at a shop and pop inside and they need their friends to stop and wait. Required fields are marked *. For instance, Mary, what a wonderful day it is today.. Ah, man, the heads are bouncing off of me, as an example. https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/1100284 Meaning: (Adjective) The word gobdaw is Irish slang thats used to describe a stupid person. For example, I managed to book tickets for that concert you were telling me about Paddy, to which Paddy replies deadly. For instance, Dont worry about it; its great., Up to 90 means completely occupied with something. Jammers when someone says it was jammers this means the bus/pub/train was packed with people. If you love the series Father Ted, then youll hear this expression often used throughout the series. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Example: Story horse! You could say, Here, pass me that yoke there on the counter, or you could call someone annoying, That yoke over there.. Someone having notions may think they are better than others or their situation is better than it actually is (whether they realise it or not). Key Irish Slang Words when Visiting Ireland 1. With my guide to certain Irish lingo, you will understand what the phrases mean and fit right in! Example: What were you thinking when you joined them? Example: Continue with that behavior and Ill tell everyone youre a bollox! And this is the one that the fantastic Father Ted series popularized. Im not sure when hell be back. This one hasnt been used very frequently lately. The phrase the craic was 90 is used to indicate a situation in which serious amusement was had. Meaning: (Adjective) The word dote is used to describe a person who is adorable. Sure look, what can ye do? is one example. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Get up the yard 13. 3. Eejit This is probably one of the most commonly used Irish slang terms that I know of. Used when it is raining especially hard outside. Tbf Irish phrases / idioms are better than the slang words, If yer . For instance, Shite man, Im late. That young lad was acting the maggot in here last night.. Example: You almost lost your passport? Unfortunately, it was all I could find. Can also be used to describe someone who isnt facing reality about something or a situation. Courtin = Dating (term commonly used in Northern Ireland). Karen remarked as she took Kates bag of chips. Meaning: (Noun) The word chiseler in the Irish language means a small child or a youngster. Keep doing that and youll be a pro in no time. The term is commonly used as an insult in Ireland. A person who is having the craic is having fun, as in Ah, man, Im dying. We returned from the pub at 2:00, but we continued to have fun until 7:00. Example: All she does is show meaningless videos. It was definitely Colin, for instance. Ireland is the second largest island in the world, just next to Great Britain. The word comes from how Irish people pronounce idiot.. Dont worry; slagging is light-heartedly mocking someone and is often witnessed amongst friends. Grand This is used in Irish phrases instead of using the word okay. On me tod People use this Irish slang phrase to let others know they were alone when doing something or going somewhere. Im going on the lash at the weekend means I am going out drinking this weekend. Something that is dirty is referred to as manky. When you arrive in Ireland, particularly for the first time, you may be forgiven for thinking youve landed on an alien planet. Since there are so many different ways to use the word craic, Im giving it its own section. Lovely to hear our Celtic ties are still going strong with us using many of the same terms. Cant stop, Im sorry. Say, That chicken fillet roll was class, for instance. Acting the maggot This Irish slang term is used to say someone was acting the eejit, being stupid, fooling around and is often prefaced by the word STOP. As in, Bout ye, chief! Like a pint? Cat. Can also mean someone is a fool. Example: I heard he turned in to a skanger. When something is so incredible that its difficult to believe it, we use the adjective unreal. Dye see me new runners, for instance. How useful! Bang on is a way to describe a person or a circumstance. Example: Do you still want to go to the park? Shes away with the fairies An Irish expression used to describe someone who is living in their own little bubble (la la land) or isnt all there. This Irish expression, which is overused and not unique to any one county, is used frequently. Meaning: (Noun) Bollox is Irish slang for testicles. This Irish slang has been used for years. Jesus, Mary and Joseph This is one of those Irish things to say that every Irish mammy will utter, over and over again. . Severe illness. Fair play This Irish phrase is used a lot to tell someone well done for something they have done, completed or achieved. a term from old Irish slang used to describe a chancer. It can also mean they are taking advantage of you. This article is the combined work of four writers: Sorcha OHiggins, Tara Povey, Sarah Arnold, and Niall Colbert. Additionally, it occasionally tends to lead to some confusion. Meaning: (Expression) The expression good woman is an exclamation used when a person is surprised or in disbelief. Meaning: (Adjective) The word gombeen comes from the old Irish language that is used to describe a person who is dodgy. Here the top 80 most used Irish slang phrases. Irish In origin. or when asking about a specific circumstance, such as Hows that lad doing? He and I havent spoken in ages. Will I, yea? Where's your mot? Oh, I do. Its a grand, soft day Means its a rainy day, but more so fine, misty rain than pouring rain. Where's the jacks? I will, yes. For a personge to be alright, good, and fair dinkim. This is said often in my area of Dublin as a bit of humour. Example: Howsagoin? They have fought against the more powerful and oppressive British empire, whose members mostly derive from Anglo-Saxons. Ribena is a blackcurrant dilutable very popular in Ireland. In Ireland, there are literally countless ways to describe someone we dont like. That was shite can means that was rubbish. Surely your feet are dragging. Example: Do what you want; Im up to 90 today. Fooling and messing around. Example: Shut your bake! If you hear this, prepare for a long story about someone else and it is guaranteed to include some secrets or gossip about the person being discussed. Meaning: (Expression) Cmere to me is an expression that has a few meanings. Your man who I purchased the car from is a serious Gombeen, I said. Example: Hurry, theres a peeler heading our way. Can you use your jumper cables to give it a lash? Gas If an Irish person says Thats gas, they are not referring to an actual gas, they mean something is funny! The weather is sunny. Example: Yer man here needs a bottle of beer. You could grow potatoes in those ears This is used to tell someone they are not paying attention/hearing you and is used instead of saying clean out your ears. Ill burst ye Can be used to indicate youre going to swing for someone/hit them. Note: A lie. One more gentle one. Therefore, Ireland has been one of the most recommended destinations for people who love to travel and explore the world. An Irish proverb that expresses approval of behavior is nice one. Such as, Ah, nice one! She has fluted. Meaning: (Expression) Its rotten is another way of saying its raining in Ireland. I cant be arsed. For some strange reason, the shopping or the groceries are referred to as the messages in Ireland. Example: Shes a cute hoor for always getting what she wants. Example: Hey, there, young fella. Meaning: (Phrase) In bits is when a person is describing something bad that happened to him or her. . Example: How could you come to this kind of place? For instance, She ultimately passed her exams. However, I may be getting older and going out less as a result. The island comprises lush fields, but thousands of years ago, it was covered in a thick blanket of ice. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Can you recommend any books about 18th century Irish speech? To be pissed off/fucked off Means to be annoyed with something/someone/a situation. Perhaps unsurprisingly given the drunken Irish stereotype, there are several different words in Irish slang that all mean drunk. This is often combined with howya/hewya, especially in Dublin so you may hear howya, whats the story? as a greeting between people. Meaning: (Phrase) The Irish phrase be wide is what the locals used to tell a person to be careful. It can mean someone is an idiot, a bit silly or just plain stupid. Taking the piss People say someone was taking the piss when they mean they were either being silly/stupid or they are teasing you. Combine this piece of Irish slang with 'pound' (before 2002, the Irish currency used to be pounds) and . The slang is much similar to the Irish word ciotach, meaning clumsy. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Meaning: (Noun) A scut is a person who is deemed as stupid or a waste. Im Scots and so much (maybe 70% ?) They have a filthy kitchen, for instance. Meaning: Stop acting upNote: Most often said by ones mother, it basically means stop doing what youre doing right now, or suffer the consequences. It is often used vulgarly, but can also be used in day-to-day conversations. Meaning: (Noun) Gowl is another word for eejit that is used as an insult in Ireland. Give me a try is an additional option. This word is often associated with the expression go and bollox and is deemed offensive. can also be used as a salutation, as in Ah, Tony. Hows the fun? Donkeys years is a term for a lengthy period of time. Do you want to be in an ogeous handling? I was pretty mouldy last night. a favorite of mine. Locked. Its pissing down today. Example: Lets go home. 20. If someone says the craic was 90 it means the fun, laughter and joviality was amazing. Meaning: (Adjective) Banjaxed is an Irish slang word that can either mean a person is drunk, brokenhearted, or tired. You appear healthy. Comes from the fact that some peoples cheeks go red with embarrassment. These can be a derogatory term or meant lightly. Thats sound! Meaning: (Phrase) Stall the ball is used when a person is asking someone to wait for him or her or to stop a conversation midway. This Irish proverb seemed to make perfect sense to me, but apparently not. Without a doubt, this is one of my favorite Irish proverbs. rinnai condensate drain installation Likes. Ever. Gobshite - An Irish slang word for fool, eejit, stupid person. It is pelting down. 125 Irish Slang Words and Phrases to Sound Like a True Local Ireland is the second largest island in the world, just next to Great Britain. Its lashing/bucketing outside Means it is pouring with rain outside. First, you can use this to ask someone to come near you because he or she wants to say something to you. 5863 , 65-70: Irish slang and expressions for addressing people Irish Slang Words, 7179: Irish slang for excellent Irish Slang Words, 15 BEST Castles In Ireland 2023 (with Photos), 8087: Irish slang for intoxicated Irish Slang Words, 88-89: Irish slang for a woman or girl Irish Slang Words, Ive never heard of the Irish slang between 90 and 93 Irish Slang Words, Slang from Belfast, 94101 Irish Slang Words. He spends his day traveling between the bookies and the pub, for instance. Is it true that your cousin is getting married just after a few weeks of dating? However, a quick Google search for 18th-century Irish speech suggested this: Meaning: (Noun) A hallion is a person who is worthless. Your email address will not be published. , Irish proverbs for describing the weather, pp. Yoke A word used instead of saying thing. My friend Mayo Declan is an expert in this field. For instance, All those guys do is sit around and play Xbox. They are two dryshitters. , For instance, Oh, Kayla. Meaning: (Adjective) Unreal is yet another word for good. It is used when you experienced something unbelievably or unexpectedly good. The most useless scut Ive ever seen. Bang on. In Irish slang, people who live in the countryside are called culchie.. I would give him a solid kick up the hole if he were my own! Its lashing outside and well surely get wet even if we use an umbrella. Meaning: (Verb) When visiting Ireland, youll often hear the word manky which is used to describe something dirty. Its pure shit today. I am not familiar with any books. Meaning: (Verb) giving out is Irish slang for complaining or ranting about something unpleasant. Leave a door open unnecessarily in an Irish house and youll hear this expression coming your way. Why? People can also say Im roasting meaning Im really hot. Culchie/Langer These are terms that usually refer to someone to who lives down the country and isnt a Dub. From a few houses to several miles away. Therefore, this is a particularly derogatory phrase that is used by women only. 16. Scarlet for ya 11. It can mean fun, goings on or gossip. I cannot stand another word from you. Meaning: (Noun) Even though Ireland seems to only have vast fields and beautiful views, they also have cities. Meaning: (Noun) Baked is another name for the mouth or face. I need a barrel of Soudafed, for instance. Example: Im glad we met your mot. Shes got notions In this sense, the word notions can be used as a dismissive put down or to indicate someone has ideas above their station. Cheers, many thanks., To try something out means to take a shot of it. The word unreal typically refers to something that is imagined or illusory, but not in Ireland. Example: Theres no place for a latchio here! Did you see her taking a piss in front of the Garda station? = Oh my god, she was a disgrace. Join our newsletter for exclusive features, tips, giveaways! Meaning: (Adjective) The Irish slang all lured denotes a feeling of delight towards someone or something. Example: Its so sad to see a shitehawk, but I have no money to spare. In Ireland, we use the adjective deadly to describe excellent or fantastic things. Example: Thats so funny. In this case, we will define soft drinks according to Irish slang. People can also use this Irish expression to say it is what it is. Bring your wishes there. You are such a gobshite! Its finely stopped pissing down. The day is suitable for drying. Gaff The Irish slang word for house. Example: Wow, this hotel is the good of it! Meaning: (Expression) Give me a shot is one of the most common Irish phrases youll hear when youre in Ireland. Example: Youre a beamer, arent ya? It can often be heard from irritated parents telling off their offspring. When referring to someone whose name you do not know or who you do not like, the phrase Yer wan or Your one is used. Meaning: (Phrase) A cute hoor is used to describe a person who can turn any situation into one that can benefit him or her using crafty ways. So, if you are excited to learn about Irish slang words, lets start now! You could eat in Jacks and feel safer. When describing something or someone who is in a bad situation, the phrase in bits is used. Broke to the bone: Hugely embarrassed. It can mean you understand. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. That new car Jerry picked up is cracking, for instance. Although he is from Malahide, he is spot on. Example: Wow, you are a ciotog. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. HEY. We only had a few shots of whiskey. We dont want him to see all these drinks. All of these Irish slang words can be used to describe someone who is drunk. Depending on the circumstance, this one might be offensive. Here are 20 Northern Irish phrases and what they mean in plain English. Meaning: (Noun) The word wean is used to identify a small child. Meaning: (Noun) Sangers is the Irish slang for a sandwich. Example: You better teach the chiseler not to mess with my things. Youll be getting off your hole and emptying the bins in 5 minutes, for instance. Yer man over there (with pointing or nodding of the head) This indicates that man over there. For example, if my son spills milk because he is not being careful pouring it, youll often hear me say Jesus, Mary and Joseph, can you watch what youre doing!. Howya/Hewya How are you cobbled into a one-word expression. Translation: Im ecstatic. Meaning: (Verb) Irish people use the word slagging when describing a person making fun of another person. The island comprises lush fields, but thousands of years ago, it was covered in a thick blanket of ice. Both deadly and class are not always used to describe a lesson. Meaning: (Noun) The word wagon is used as an offensive name for a woman. For instance, Shite, store the cans. There are two peelers approaching from that direction. Meaning: (Verb) The term dander is used in everyday conversation and means to walk.. Im in a hurry, so lets talk soon! For instance, I gave him a kick in the bollox because he was slagging me.. Probably more often than not, sound is used as an affirmative response, as in Ah, sound. Thank you for that. For instance, Im going in there right now and eating his head off!