Jones was considering leaving the acting profession and pursuing a graduate degree in public policy before she was offered the part on The Office. While Tupac was certainly not the first person to criticize the musician for his relationships with white women, the conversation leapt from the card tables and barbershops of the world onto the the glossy pages of a popular national magazine. pic.twitter.com/xeKyNBQHXN. In January 2009, Jones voiced several characters in an episode of the Adult Swim show Robot Chicken. In my opinion, youre destroying it and s-ing all over your people.. Kidada Jones. Due to other commitments, Jones was unable to reprise her role for the second, third and fourth seasons, provided voiceover work for an off-screen appearance in the show's first TV season (containing her appearance from the first web season), and was able to make time to reprise her role on-screen for an exclusive appearance in the second-season finale of the show. In 2018, her documentary Quincy, about her father, Quincy Jones, debuted on Netflix; it won the Grammy Award for Best Music Film in 2019. But as an adult, she converted back to Judaism and even inadvertently choose her companions based on their religious beliefs. "I'm totally obsessed with relationships, female friendships, romantic relationships, all of it. Rashida vs Tupac Shakur. (He basically said the music icon onlyhad sex with white women, and the result of those unions weremessed-up kids.). she may be a-perfect-man-stealing minx, but she's a cool minx. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Jones is the daughter of record producer Quincy Jones and actress Peggy Lipton . She reels in embarrassment when Imention this. She worked as a producer on the film Hot Girls Wanted (2015) and the series Hot Girls Wanted: Turned On (2017), directing the first episode of the latter. At an early age, Kidada battled an identity crisis. I'm happy to challenge people's understanding of what it looks like to be biracial"[80], Jones was engaged to music producer Mark Ronson in February 2003. Not to add that Pac aimed his hatred not only at Quincy Jones but also at Rashida and the rest of his defenseless children. ", While I was waiting for her, I say, men kept approaching the two women sitting near us, whoare wearing extremely sexy versions of this LA uniform, and one chat-up line was, "Can I just charge my iPhone here?". Jones was born in Los Angeles, California, to actress Peggy Lipton and musician/record producer Quincy Jones. [52], Jones created Frenemy of the State, a comic book series about a socialite who is recruited by the CIA. I truly liked the familial and cultural aspects of Judaism, she once remarked. [40] Jones also has a cameo in the Beastie Boys' short film Fight For Your Right Revisited, which premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. [17][18][19], Jones grew up in Los Angeles's Bel Air neighborhood. The track, "Starry Night", also featured her father's vocals, Mac Mall's rapping, and her half-brother QD3's production. 2Pac was dating and believed to be engaged to Kidada Jones, the daughter of legendary producer . I had a horrible feeling about it. ", The twist to this tale is that a few years later, Shakur met Jones's older sister Kidada, and apologised for what he had said. She is married to him and they have a son, however, she hasnt said much about him. Tupac Shakur died 20 years ago today. (She's not, say, amazing in film, but that . Did she consciously react against the brat cliche? Rashida's sister, Kidada Jones, was dating Tupac at the time of his death. She also addressed the accusation that she was "slut-shaming" by criticising women's overly sexualised clothes: "I consider myself a feminist There is a difference, a key one, between shamingand holding someone accountable. TheyoungRashida discusses her relationship with Pac, who was dating her elder sister Kidada, in a brief film. In the latter she was credited as Racinda Jules and played the role of Susan Belfontaine. They managed to patch up their differences and Shakur eventually went on to be friends with Rashida and her family. Photograph: Corbis, Style tribes: fashion's most famous hangers-on, Measure of the season: what's hot and what's not for spring/summer 2014, Spring/summer 2014 accessories: a bright future in pictures, Backstage beauty: makeup tips to match the professionals, Weekend fashion special spring/summer 2014. : Miami. Along with Aaliyah, The Boy Least Likely To, and the Foo Fighters, she has also appeared in music videos. It is now estimated that Rashida Jones is worth $30 million. She came to the limelight at the age of 17 when she wrote an open letter to Tupac Shakur. Does anyone else feel behind because we lost two years due to pandemic? One time, while Quincy was at the Hotel Bel-Air on a date, he ran into Tupac. She also penned the 2009 screenplay for Celeste and Jesse Forever, which was adapted into a movie in 2012. Her father was producing Michael Jackson's Off The Wall and Thriller albums when Rashida was a child; her mother was a famous beauty, now best known asthe blonde who runs the Double R Diner in Twin Peaks. [55] It was released in 2012. Kidada Jones, her older sister, and five additional half-siblings from her fathers prior relationships make up her family. Celebrity Alley - Celebrity News and Gossip. In a 1993 interview with The Source Magazine, the late rapper called out Quincy Jones for his relationships with white women. Rashida, in addition to performing, has established herself as a writer and vocalist as of January 2022. [17], On her multi-racial identity, she has remarked "I have gone through periods where I only feel black or Jewish. 38Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland. Tupacsromance with Kidada, the daughter of Quincy Jones, loomed large during his final months and is an often overlooked aspect of his biography. Read more on:Molly Elizabeth Brolin: Interesting Facts About Her. Her next trip was To Harvard, where she pursued studies in philosophy and theology. In 2016, Jones co-wrote the teleplay of "Nosedive", an episode of the television anthology series Black Mirror with Michael Schur from a story by Charlie Brooker. Made by the same team that brought The Office toAmerica, it bears a resemblance to its predecessor, only with a more female focus; theshow also stars the brilliant Amy Poehler. Through her involvement in Hot Girls Wanted, Jones has gathered a negative reputation among sex workers, as they see the film and series as unfairly depicting the industry and as violating performers' consent. When it was announced that Jones would be writing arelationships column, Jezebel the blog that had praised her just months before sneered, "I'd rather someone in a successful relationship tell me about relationships", apparently oblivious to the irony of a self-styled feminist website criticising a woman for being single. But instead of simply playing the nagging girlfriend, Jones made the character sympathetic, conveying her understandable bafflement at why her fiance would discuss their oral sex habits with his new friend. Jones is due to be involved in an adaptation of Sell/Buy/Date, a play about the sex industry. "Oh God, that whole LA Barbie doll look, right?" [69] Jones has also appeared in music videos for The Boy Least Likely To song "Be Gentle With Me", and the Foo Fighters' single "Long Road to Ruin". In September 2018, Jones's production company, Le Train Train, signed a first-look television deal with MRC.[78]. Muslim content creator harassed for calling out non binary Tik Toker Jeffrey Marsh. Jones starred opposite Chris Messina in Monogamy (2010), a drama directed by Dana Adam Shapiro. [34] She co-starred in Unhitched, the short-lived 2008 comedy series produced by the Farrelly brothers. "That is so it. This offered her the chance to acquire a varied cultural background. But when you give your all, it's like the fans demand more. Rashida answers questions about "what" she is differently. She starred in Funny or Die's Speak Out series with Natalie Portman[72] and guest-starred in two episodes in the first webseason Web Therapy with Lisa Kudrow. This article was published more than6 years ago. But, as I wait for her, Iworry that there must be a dress code that Ididn't know about, because every single woman but me is wearing skinny designer jeans, metallic heels, a sexy top, a full face of makeup and an enormous designer handbag, at 3pm on a sunny Saturday. She had a small role in Full Frontal, directed by Steven Soderbergh, and starred in Now You Know, written and directed by Kevin Smith regular Jeff Anderson. Rashida's sister, Kidada Jones, was dating Tupac at the time of his death. [84] Jones has participated in Stand Up to Cancer events, EDUN and ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History, and The Art of Elysium's volunteer program, which runs artistic workshops for hospitalized children. During the February 2022 Super Bowl LVI, she appeared alongside Tommy Lee Jones, Leslie Jones, and Nick Jonas in a Toyota commercial for the Tundra pickup truck entitled 'keeping up with the Joneses' with background music 'It's Not Unusual' by Tom Jones.[77]. She participated in the book of articles titled Courage is Contagious. She also contributed to the editing team of Teen Vogue. "Tupac was the love of my life," Kidada wrote in a first-person account published in her father's autobiography. Dr. Dre may be the first billionaire in hip-hop, but what does that mean for hip-hop? If we had lost Malcolm X at 25, we would have lost a hustler nicknamed Detroit Red, Jones wrote. [46] Turned On was criticized after some people who appeared in it said that they did not give permission or withdrew permission, and that the series included their images or personal details without consent. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Actually, that grossly. It's a rare depiction of female friendship that isn't predicated on the two women talking about men, or fighting and thenmaking up. Where did you get that from? I feel things are changing, andthere are real female comedy stars now andthat's exciting, isn't it?" They managed to patch up their differences, and Shakur eventually became friends with Rashida and her family. Born: 25 February 1976 in Los Angeles, California, USA. [73] In 2017, Jones became a spokeswoman for the Almay brand of cosmetics. Tupac's life ended tragically in Las Vegas over 20 years ago. There's a certain respect for their feelings." It's the open letter RJ wrote in response to Tupac having a go at her Dad and interracial marriages (I think) in "The Source" magazine, August 1993. [29] She studied religion and philosophy[30] and graduated in 1997.[31]. She played Marylin Delpy, a second-year legal associate assisting with the defense of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. She wrote the letter in response to Tupac's scornful remarks about the interracial marriage between Quincy and Peggy . Before receiving her bat mitzvah, she went to Hebrew School, but she left because she didnt think it was the proper place for her. My. After she went to bed, her father would discover her reading multiple novels at once with a flashlight while she was hidden beneath the blankets. The show was created by Greg Daniels and Michael Schur, with whom she previously worked on The Office. 147469. Rashida responded withsome harsh words in a letter the Source published. In 1994, Jones garnered attention with an open letter responding to scathing remarks made by Tupac Shakur about her parents' interracial marriage. In a short video, a younger Rashida talks about her relationship with Pac who was dating her older sister Kidada and how he endeared himself to her using humor and charm. Their relationship ended approximately one year later. Rashida Jones criticized him for commenting on her parents' interracial marriage, but everything got sorted out later. Wasn't this her sister Kidada's love of her life back then? Her father, Quincy Jones, is a well-known music producer, and her mother, Peggy Lipton, was a famous actress. She was a nerd growing up who constantly read a lot and used her dial-up connection to access the internet to find the knowledge she needed. If people apologize for their mistakes, are you obligated to forgive them? She shows me aphoto she keeps on her phone of an overweight, solemn-faced girl who looks vaguely like Rashida Jones. Read A 17-Year-Old Rashida Jones Fiery Letter To Tupac In 1993, GloRilla, Ice Spice, And The Carefree Black Girl Backlash, Karol G Tells Us About Her Most Personal Album Yet, Maana Ser Bonito, And Collaborating With Shakira, The Rundown: Cousin Gregs Finest Moments From The Succession Final Season Trailer, Ranked, Creed III Has What Every Sequel Needs, A Director Who Seems Personally Invested, How Bail Bag Helps The Formerly Incarcerated Get Back On Their Feet, Advice From A Finance Pro For How To Survive (And Thrive) In This Economy, Why We Shouldnt Forget About The Game Stop Short Squeeze, Five Cities Where Latinx Street Art Is Alive And Well, Travel Budgeting Pro Gabby Beckford Shares Her Best Financial Advice For 2023 Adventures, We Blind Tested Our Favorite Fast Food Double Cheeseburgers & Crowned A New Champ, How To Actually, Truly Buy Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon For Real, Were Picking The Very Best Air Jordan IIIs Of All Time, Game On: How Grant Williams Embraces His Role On And Off The Court, Jamal Crawford On Joining TNTs Tuesday Night Desk, Brooklyns Turnaround, And The NBAs Offensive Explosion, How Sneaker Customizer Marcus Floyd Is Breaking Into Pro Sports, One Horse Shoe At A Time, Talib Kweli & David Cross On Boots Riley, Bob Odenkirk, Palestine, Tribalism, NLE Choppa Takes Uproxx Behind His 23 Music Video, B-Lovees Uproxx Sessions Performance Of IYKYK May Have Been Ice Cold But Hes With All The Smoke, 112s Cupid Video Gets Some React Like You Know Love From 2Rare And TiaCorine, All The Best New R&B From This Week That You Need To Hear, The Most Anticipated Albums Of Spring 2023, Don Tolivers Stylish Third Album Love Sick Is A Step In The Right Direction, All The Best New Pop Music From This Week, Steven Hydens Favorite Music Of February 2023. It turns out that for me, and for a lot of us, the . [4][5][6][7][8][9][10] Her mother was Ashkenazi Jewish (a descendant of Jewish emigrants from Russia and Latvia). Jones has appeared in several online comedy series projects. Looks like Ms Jones won. But before the relationship with Tupac began, in a 1993 interview with The Source Magazine, the late . Jones's father has Tikar roots from Cameroon, and a Welsh paternal grandfather. Photograph: BBC/NBC, Rashida with her father, Quincy Jones. But it's just this weird thing that's been hammered into my head culturally: that's the only way to succeed, that's the only thing that counts for awoman. In addition to her relation to the 27-time Grammy winner, some may be surprised to learn that she and her family also had a relationship to another Black music icon, Tupac Shakur. [32] Although she had a minor supporting role in the series, film opportunities quickly surfaced. Jones contributed a "thank-you note" to Michelle Obama in The New York Times in 2016[62] which was excerpted in the 2017 book Courage Is Contagious. Hin sef kuku know say hin no go liv long. France, Switzerland, or The Netherlands? http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2013/08/rashida-jones-tupac-letter#ixzz33mbUiEtN, http://tupactribute.tumblr.com/post/26537150105/words-by-kidada-jones-tupac-was-the-love-of, Madonna's letter from Tupac Shakur finally hits the auction block next week, "Tupac Was the Love of My Life" Kidada Jones Pleads, Tupac Confesses in Prison Letter: I Dumped Madonna Because She Was White, Madonna couldve visited Tupac after that letter explaining why he ended their relationship, Kevin Powell Talks Nate Parker, xesual Assault & Writes A Letter To Tupac Shakur 20 Years Later, Read Three Handwritten Poems By a 17 Year Old Tupac Shakur, Chloe Bailey making a J. Cole question all about herself, Mimi Faust confirms that Ex Fianc Ty Young had Affair with Drew from RHOA. She is best-known for her roles in the comedy television series The Office and Parks and Recreation. Rashida responded with some harsh words in a letter the Source published. [49][50] Jones also voices recurring role of Mia on Fox's Duncanville. In films like The Grinch, Inside Out, and Spies in Disguise, she has provided her voice. Additionally, she has written for Black Mirror, Toy Story 4, and Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones. She once claimed that her father didnt contribute anything to the documentary she made on his life. Now I have a good balance. Why hin no go die young? Rashida is the younger sister of actress and model Kidada Jones, and half-sister to five . We werent supposed to be there. I sort of like her but she makes it sooooo very hard. It just fascinates me, thinking about what works, what doesn't. The two went to a table andspokefor a long time, Kidada wrote. [28] In her second year at college, Jones performed in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide / When the Rainbow Is Enuf, which she said was "healing" because she had been seen by many black students as not being "black enough". [4] She later befriended Shakur, who was engaged to . For the television executive, see. She has ties to the nonprofit group Peace First, which focuses on educating young people. This angered Quincy Jones, as well as Rashida and Kidada Jones, the daughters he had with Peggy Lipton. . Rashida Jones responded to the piece that The Source published three months later with a frankness belying her age at the time 17 in a blistering essay. During the 1994 interview, Shakur expressed his disapproval for Quincy Jones marrying a white woman and having children that were "all mixed . Your identity as a teenager shapes you for ever, I say. "Weird, right? She also looks alittle out of place here, but her reason for suggesting the venue becomes quickly apparent. She co-wrote the script with McCormack and was attached to star in the film. At the age of 10, Rashida left a Hebrew School and never had a bar mitzvah. Rashida Jones made headlines when she wrote an open letter to the legendary artist Tupac Shakur who was dating her sister Kidada Jones at that time. She then enrolled in the Buckley School in Los Angeles, a superb institution that emphasized identifying and developing the talents of every student. "He and I lived together for four months and then he was murdered in Las Vegas in. [81][82], In 2018, Jones had a son with her boyfriend, musician Ezra Koenig. Kidada Jones He nodded; as she turned to the door, Tupacconvulsed and slippedinto the coma from which he never woke. Now they are developing six TV shows, both comedy and drama, featuring different kinds of female protagonists. Jones made her professional acting debut in The Last Don, 1997 miniseries based on the novel by Mario Puzo. She left early from writing for Toy Story 4 because she believed that Pixar did not treat women and people of color fairly. This is ACTING! The big twist in events is that, after college, I realised I wanted to be an actor, because that wasn't what I had thought I wanted from my life.". What happened? Rashida was raised in Bel Air and attended the prestigious Buckley School where she was a member of the National Honor Society and voted the "Girl Most Likely to Succeed." The academic overachiever also received religious training at a Hebrew school en route to Harvard University, and she continues to practice Judaism today. Whatever therole, Jones brings both sweetness and realism,with a touch of goofiness (she is especially good at heartbreak), and manages torise above the, to put it bluntly, somewhat generic roles into which she has been pushed. (He said , "All he does is stick his dick in white bitches and make fucked up kids.") As Quincy said years later, "My daughter kicked his ass, boy. she says. Ilike conservative dressing. She saw them hug, VF recounted. I didn’t tell my dad about it, because I thought there’d be trouble. Like an idiot, I went over to him, put two arms on his shoulders and said, Pac, we gotta sit down and talk, man, Quincy told the Times. Join the Lipstick Alley 2023 NCAA Tournament Challenge. You must log in or register to reply here. So I'm just like a fan with them. It was the most horrible thing that ever happened to me., Their relationship had a rocky start. Furthermore, she provided music for the soundtracks of The Baxter, The Ten, and Reno 911! Although Tupac was undoubtedly not the first person to condemn the singer for his associations with white women, the topic moved from card tables and barbershops around the globe to the glossy pages of a well-known national magazine. "It's weird thateverybody wants to look like everyone else. In 1994, Jones garnered attention with an open letter responding to scathing remarks made by rapper Tupac Shakur about her parents' interracial marriage. He came by and told the waiter that he would be back, he was going home to put on a tie.. Brian Grazer and Eric Gitter produced the film, and Jones co-wrote the screenplay with writing partner Will McCormack.[54]. She has her own thing!' How do I sound stupid? I wasnt able to say goodbye. He apologized to her, and the pair began dating. Where the hell would you be if Black people like him hadnt paved the way for you to even have the opportunity to express yourself? she wrote of Tupac. It has taken Jones some time, but she has reached a point where she can talk proudly about her parents' achievements without worrying about people thinking she owes her career to them. I'm about to begin my journey in rewriting my life after all the trauma, pain, and loneliness. 59 moal09 6 yr. ago Tupac was a complicated dude. So uncomfortable, so sad, so much food On family vacations, I used towake up before everyone else and make asourdough bread sandwich with butter, eggs, bacon and cheese, and then go back to bed and, like, one hour later be, 'So what's for breakfast?'" Jones had a small role in the 2010 Kevin Smith film Cop Out. The actor, writer and producer Rashida Jones suggested we meet at a private members' club near her home in West Hollywood, which seemed like a fine idea at the time. She is the daughter of music producer Quincy Jones and actress Peggy Lipton, along with sister, actress Kidada Jones . Within a year of being engaged to music producer Mark Ronson, she began dating musician Ezra Koenig. Given how Tupac first met the Jones family, this bond was created in the most unlikely of situations. In 2011, Dove selected Jones as its spokeswoman for its Dove Nourishing Oil Care Collection. Do I want kids?" he was a terrible human being. So when Iwould talk about being interested in the law as akid, they would be like, 'That's so cute! Rashida Leah Jones (/rid/ r-SHEE-d;[1] born February 25, 1976)[2][3] is an American actress, writer, producer, and director. Rashida Jones is currently a 37-year-old famous comedy actress, but she is also daughter to music legend Quincy Jones - a 27-time Grammy Award winner. [57] The film was released in June 2019, with the pair being among those receiving a "story by" credit.[58][59][60]. I bet that you have never seen a better-looking person than this! "We're trying to inundate the market with women characters and create choices based on quality and not on stereotypes," Jones says. Jones also co-wrote the story of Toy Story 4 (2019). Jones works as a designer for The Walt Disney Company, where she has a line known as Kidada for Disney Couture. That was a nice full circle, shetold the Guardian in 2014about her sisters engagement to Tupac. "But to suggest that the way to be afeminist is to snark about other women is suchadangerous example to set. Now Jones is stepping away from acting and, tragically for fans of Parks And Recreation, this means she is leaving the show in the middle of the sixth series. She also starred in the short film Roadside Assistance with Adam Brody. Jones left the writing assignment early due to feeling that Pixar is "a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice". I for one dont worship 2pac like a lot of you idiots do. In a 1993 interview, the late Tupac Shakur attacked Quincy Jones for having children with awhite woman. Later that year, she played Dr. Rachel Keyes in Little Black Book and starred as Edie Miller in the British drama series NY-LON. Why are so many girls harassed at an early age(8-12)? The next year, in 2010, she co-starred with Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield in The Social Network. She also starred in the films Friends with Benefits, The Big Year, The Muppets, and Our Idiot Brother, and in the comedy series Angie Tribeca on TBS in 2014. The youngest child of actor Peggy Lipton and Quincy Jones, a well-known record producer and musician, is Rashida. "I also wanted to say there's more than one way to be a woman and be sexy like, you're a really great dancer, or you're really fucking smart.". JavaScript is disabled. Rashida Jones's Net Worth The majority of the money this outstanding actress earned came from performing. During a rant against interracial relationships, the late gangsta' rapper specifically indicted Quincy Jones for marrying a white woman, adding that his . She is a Black Jewish actress, director, writer, and producer. It feels redundant to ask, but has she struggled to find interesting roles? Additionally, she criticized the deceased rapper for his ignorance and lack of respect for his people and claimed he was destroying his race.. She recently signed a deal to write a monthly relationships column for Glamour. "I definitely like women in comedy," she says, "but I feel a little on the outside because I generally play the straight guy. Both works explore the sex industry. "Irealised I was in this small space with all these super-talented women vying for one part in one movie, and it was always the shitty part in that year's one good movie: someone's wife, or someone's shrew girlfriend. She wrote about the confronting experience for Vanity Fair. Jones was born in 1976, the second daughter of a black man and a white Jewish woman, who married in 1974 when mixed-race couples were a definite anomaly, certainly in the US; they divorced when. This multifaceted tale of awakening, love, and family shows how effective communication and genuine human relationships can get over practically any difficulty. Reparations Task Force LIVE in Sacramento, CA! Remember when Tupac said Quincy Jones wanted to have xes with him? The actor is a member of a multiracial, multireligious household. the feminist website Jezebel wrote about Jones last year. ", Jones was born in 1976, the second daughter ofa black man and awhite Jewish woman, who married in 1974 when mixed-race couples were adefinite anomaly, certainly in the US; they divorced when Rashida was 10. I didn’t mean that about your dad or you. The goal, she continued, was for people to truly understand who he is, both good and terrible. Quincy Jones is disgusting. The Ancestry Of Quincy Jones", "New DNA test results trace Oprah Winfrey's ancestry to Liberia / Zambia: Zambia News", "Actors Rashida Jones and Chris Messina Entangle in Monogamy", "Q&A: RASHIDA JONES ON WRITING, RON SWANSON AND IRRATIONALITY OVER HER RACE", "Rashida Jones on How Angie Tribeca Is Bringing Back the Silly-Serious Comedy", "Rashida Jones discovers her family's holocaust secret", "Rashida Jones: 'There's more than one way to be a woman and be sexy', "Rashida Jones' New Title: Executive Producer", "Jews Making News: Rashida Jones, Isla Fisher", "The Bob Rivers Show: Interview with Actress Rashida Jones", "Read A 17-Year-Old Rashida Jones' Fiery Letter To Tupac In 1993", "1997 Candidates for Harvard & Radcliffe Class Marshals", "The Conversation: Rashida Jones on school bus rides with Kim Kardashian, how OJ Simpson put her off law, and hating Valentine's Day", "Sitcom Star Rashida Jones '97 to Speak at 2016 Class Day", "Rashida Jones: "There's more than one way to be a woman and be sexy", "Exclusive: Poster for Indie Drama 'Monogamy' Starring Chris Messina Rashida Jones & Meital Dohan", "Does Adam Yauch's 'Fight For Your Right Revisited' Contain The Most Epic Cast Ever? [90][91][92][93], In 2016, Jones visited a Syrian refugee camp in Lebanon. Jones was a guest vocalist on the Tupac Shakur tribute album, The Rose That Grew from Concrete, released in 2000. Not one to shrink away from controversy, the brainy beauty came to the defense of her father as a teenager when he was criticized by Tupac Shakur in a 1994 interview with Source Magazine.