What sort of strategies would a medieval military use against a fantasy giant? A positive even integer. no, since [-1] is a valid index (counting from the right) ;-). Return an answer as the sum of digits that the digital timer in the format hh:mm would show. Styling contours by colour and by line thickness in QGIS. To gain some courage, you decide to calculate the number of such people and see if you can possibly make it to the exit without disturbing too many people. This is done by: These values are to be hidden from the player, therefore they are stored in numbers variable. I actually have multiple linters and multiple static analyzers configured in my editor, and they are set up so that they analyze my code while I type, and automatically correct whatever they can auto-correct when I save. by randomly "allocating" mines. How can I delete a file or folder in Python? When this count is equal to the total cells, except those containing mines, then the game is regarded as over. over 12.5 years). We plant the seed at the beginning of a day. You might also get some constant-factor time wins by iterating over the lists with enumerate instead of doing the for index in range() thing, and minimizing the number of extra variables you allocate. A positive integer representing the nightly growth. Thanks for taking your time to write such an detail answer. The complete move therefore looks like the letter L. Check out the image below to see all valid moves for a knight piece that is placed on one of the central squares. The first two values denote cell location, while the last one denotes flagging. Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide. Not the answer you're looking for? Managing the flag input is not a big issue. xem xt . Determine how many pieces of candy will be eaten by all the children together. [input] array.array.integer image You fixed the bad borders, but OP had a simple if, where you use exception handling as "regular" code logic. A non-empty array of strings of lowercase letters. A set of values that can be assigned to the variables. rev2023.3.3.43278. How to follow the signal when reading the schematic? Collection of coding challenges from CodeSignal. Sometimes, you have 1 blank line after the function. For one, it is placed in an awkward sport, in the middle of the class. // We can obtain b from a by swapping 2 and 1 in b. What don't you like about it? Cannot retrieve contributors at this time 29 lines (28 sloc) 1.04 KB Raw Blame Edit this file E You are allowed only to make jumps of the same length represented by some integer. Thanks for contributing an answer to Code Review Stack Exchange! The region and polygon don't match. 72 stands for H in the ASCII-table, so the first letter is H. You are given an array of positive integers - the weights of the people. CodeSignal is a skills-based assessment platform whose mission is to discover, develop and promote technical talent. Why are trials on "Law & Order" in the New York Supreme Court? Code submitted as solutions to the exercises in CodeSignal. Permalink. So, you should only use two different ways of writing the same thing IFF you actually want to convey some extra information. Its a site to ask questions My question is what is the optimal complexity for this. Thank you in advance. An integer (not greater than the length of inputArray). I love how you help to suggest some other names for my variables. So, your class declaration should just be class MineBoard: Unused variables That one was expected after seeing isOver being defined. A string consisting of digits, full stops and lowercase Latin letters. Add a description, image, and links to the For example, as mentioned, if I simply save your code into a file and open that file in an editor, I get 157 Errors, 44 Warnings, and 21 Infos. After all the cells with zero value and their neighbours are displayed, we can move on to the last scenario. Call two arms equally strong if the heaviest weights they each are able to lift are equal. It is guaranteed that the first two characters, as well as the last two characters, are digits. The literal 7 appears a few times in printLayout. For example, display should be an instance method of Cell. is the smallest possible (here abs denotes the absolute value). Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow! I believe there must be a better solution in terms of space-time complexity and just in general. In particular, it represents two totally different concepts: a map / board, and a game. A string of lowercase letters. Given an array of equal-length strings, check if it is possible to rearrange the strings in such a way that after the rearrangement the strings at consecutive positions would differ by exactly one character. In the popular Minesweeper game you have a board with some mines and those cells that don't contain a mine have a number in it that indicates the total number of mines in the neighboring cells. There are a couple of names in your code that could be clearer, for example ip, m, and k. In particular, it seems that the parameter k in __init__, the parameter num_of_mines in allocate_mines, and the local variable m in play mean the same thing, but the parameter k in get_random_pos does not mean the same thing as the parameter k in __init__. Given values experience, threshold and reward, check if you reach the next level after killing the monster. Your MineBoard class explicitly inherits from object. Learn more about bidirectional Unicode characters. Return an array of two integers, where the first element is the total weight of team 1, and the second element is the total weight of team 2 after the division is complete. Two arrays are called similar if one can be obtained from another by swapping at most one pair of elements in one of the arrays. 2-dimensional array of integers representing a rectangular matrix of the building. How do I concatenate two lists in Python? https://puzzlingclarity.com/index.php/2020/06/21/codesignal-arcade-intro-24-minesweeper/If you have questions or w. If you want to minimize space usage, use a generator to join each line of output rather than allocating a list. Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. Given a rectangular matrix of characters, add a border of asterisks(*) to it. Enum for GameStatus but then not using the same logic with tile values? I was trying to make that cautionary point. Since Ratiorg is a bot he is definitely going to automate it, so he needs a program that sums up all the numbers which appear in the given input. So it definitely passed that test. Return true if it is possible to remove one element from the array in order to get a strictly increasing sequence, otherwise return false. On subsequent games, I failed again because of this input-handling problem. Any solution is necessarily going to have to look at every cell in the board, which means it can never possibly be faster than O(n). An easy way to get to the adjacent positions is to prepare a list of offsets for the 8 neighbouring cells based on the row and column numbers. [input] char symbol This should definitely be in a separate method. This makes it hard to reuse and hard to test. The knight can move to a square that is two squares horizontally and one square vertically, or two squares vertically and one square horizontally away from it. When needing user input, ensure it's specific, that it's limited, and that you give responses to assist the user to provide the correct input, or allow them to exit the stage where they are.This will enable avoiding runtime errors which crash the program (such as IndexError list assignment index out of range which I encountered) and avoid having try/except/finally statements due to limiting possible inputs. Our game prints the following. These methods should definitely be private. There must be something in that :). over 12.5 years). Rules are super simple: We take as input a grid of where the mines are, and we output a grid where each cell represents the number of mines explicitly around it. pdb is not used, be aware of unused imports in the final version. [output] boolean This commit does not belong to any branch on this repository, and may belong to a fork outside of the repository. Below is the complete code of the Minesweeper game: We hope that this tutorial on creating our own Minesweeper game was understandable as well as fun. All you need to do is climb over your seat and make your way to the exit. So, your class declaration should just be. Why are Suriname, Belize, and Guinea-Bissau classified as "Small Island Developing States"? The building is represented by a rectangular matrix of rooms, each cell containing an integer - the price of the room. of the docstring. How do you get out of a corner when plotting yourself into a corner, Topological invariance of rational Pontrjagin classes for non-compact spaces. [input] string inputString However, any recommendations for optimisation are welcome! There is absolutely no reason to use Python 2 for new code in 2021. The domain name part of an email address may only consist of letters, digits, hyphens and dots. Please note the use of the exception (that was the hint regarding the "x"s). A non-negative integer representing the heaviest weight you can lift with your right arm. I'd appreciate if someone could suggest a better approach to this task. The rest of it is your good old basic minesweeper. true if symbol is a digit, false otherwise. A string consisting of lowercase latin letters. Is it correct to use "the" before "materials used in making buildings are"? I get IndexError with this code. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. Check out the example below to see how it can move: A string is said to be beautiful if b occurs in it no more times than a; c occurs in it no more times than b; etc. But more importantly, the reason why it is hard to give it a proper name is that it appears to be doing too much. . String consisting of 2 letters - coordinates of the knight on an 8 8 chessboard in chess notation. [input] string st I wish you the best of luck with the interviewing process and hope you get the job. Does a summoned creature play immediately after being summoned by a ready action? Does Python have a ternary conditional operator? You found two items in a treasure chest! Is a PhD visitor considered as a visiting scholar? // You're strong enough to take both of the items with you. You can initialize a result matrix with a zero on "O" cells and "X" on the mine positions. I was given 15 minutes to solve this in a coding challenge, and still can't figure out for the life of me how someone would have approached this. Solutions to LeetCode, CodeSignal, Hackerrank and more, specifically written in modern programming languages such as Swift and Kotlin. Refresh the page, check Medium 's site. How do I concatenate two lists in Python? No catching/handling of exceptions raised e.g. With this solution, you don't have to shrink your result using pop(). You can pass any iterable to the list constructor to create a list: You import pdb but never use it. Your task is to rearrange the people by their heights in a non-descending order without moving the trees. Is there a proper earth ground point in this switch box? Given a string, check whether it is beautiful. I'd use regular expressions here, if just to weed out invalid commands. He scanned the check of the items he bought and gave the resulting string to Ratiorg to figure out the total number of purchased items. Some rooms are free (their cost is 0), but that's probably because they are haunted, so all the bots are afraid of them. CodeMaster has just returned from shopping. n children have got m pieces of candy. He may need some additional statues to be able to accomplish that. Rather than doing that, the set_alarm(self, hour, minute) function would spawn a thread which waits for hour/minute and then activates a call-back to the activate_alarm(self) function. You signed in with another tab or window. They should be called _ to make clear that they are deliberately ignored: All the elifs can just be ifs, since in all of the conditionals in this method, we either exit the method or the conditional was false. Something like: MineBoard(width, height, num_mines) and self.cellsToOpen = width * height - num_mines is much easier to understand. Why are non-Western countries siding with China in the UN? Staging Ground Beta 1 Recap, and Reviewers needed for Beta 2. A good name should be intention-revealing. Given an array of the numbers of votes given to each of the candidates so far, and an integer k equal to the number of voters who haven't cast their vote yet, find the number of candidates who still have a chance to win the election. Manually raising (throwing) an exception in Python, How to upgrade all Python packages with pip. Some phone usage rate may be described as follows: You have s cents on your account before the call. In one of your list comprehensions, you have unused variables: Neither i nor j are used. How can I access environment variables in Python? The first item weighs weight1 and is worth value1, and the second item weighs weight2 and is worth value2. Given a rectangular matrix containing only digits, calculate the number of different 2 2 squares in it. mine = False. Some empty lines would allow the code room to breathe, for example in the play function. okay, I'll do this action then". @KennyOstrom I don't see an issue with it. "<>[]:,;@\"!#$%&*+-/=?^_{}| ~.a\"@example.org", "010010000110010101101100011011000110111100100001". I don't exactly get what it is supposed to do at first glance, even after looking at the conventions. A constraint satisfaction problem has a few parts: A set of variables. A non-negative integer representing the heaviest weight your friend can lift with his or her right arm. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Recursion is a programming tool in which the function calls itself until the base case is satisfied. A string consisting of English letters, punctuation marks, whitespace characters and brackets. minesweeper codesignal The Blog. Given a sequence of integers as an array, determine whether it is possible to obtain a strictly increasing sequence by removing no more than one element from the array. After taking care of these issues, the cell is flagged for a mine. Therefore, there must be provision for clearing it constantly. Given an array of integers, find the pair of adjacent elements that has the largest product and return that product.ding the year 100, the second - from the year 101 up to and including the year 200, etc. A string representing time in HH:MM format. Instead, this method should be split into two methods. This is important because when you put out code for others to use, if they begin accessing/modifying internal class variables and you release a new version with modified internals, it will break their implementation. This is especially true for environments that allow for reordering or refactoring of methods. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Single mine flagging: In typical minesweeper, even when there is one mine remaining (flagged or unflagged), tiles that are unclicked still require clicking. Here you can look at several examples of correct and incorrect email addresses. It is done by writing 'import random' at the start of the program. Given a string, find out if it satisfies the IPv4 address naming rules. You can see the 1-, 2-, 3- and 4-interesting polygons in the picture below. [input] array.array.boolean matrix The digits sum up to 0 + 4 + 0 + 0 = 4, which is the answer. Then a nested loop on each position can go through the offsets to add 1 to the 'zero' cells when the neighbouring position is in range of the board and contains an "X": If you want to avoid messing with indexes and offsets, you can prepare 8 shifted copies of the board (one per direction) and use zip() to combine them into a tuple of neighbours for each position. Array of positive integers. Thanks Felicity for your post. Given array of integers, find the maximal possible sum of some of its k consecutive elements. Most other languages enforce this by statements such as private and public before their type and variable name. Note: The actual value for a mine is stored as -1, whereas the values stored for display, denote the mine as 'M'. First, the string is divided into the least possible number of disjoint substrings consisting of identical characters, for example, "aabbbc" is divided into ["aa", "bbb", "c"], Next, each substring with length greater than one is replaced with a concatenation of its length and the repeating character, for example, substring "bbb" is replaced by "3b". Determine if the given character is a digit or not. Is it possible to rotate a window 90 degrees if it has the same length and width? The two equal numbers are a and c. The third number (b) equals 7, which is the answer. I hope the other answers as well as mine are enough to give you lots to study before your next interview. Single mine flagging due to lower-case f: I was surprised when I flagged a tile and the game ended with a mine going off. The player has to prevent himself from landing on a mine with the help of numbers in the neighbouring tiles. An array of integers containing at least two elements. [input] integer friendsRight So we have w h k x m variables here. That is why any room that is free or is located anywhere below a free room in the same column is not considered suitable for the bots. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. As we can see clearly, any number on the grid denotes the number of mines present in the neighbouring eight cells. 7. The use of variables like, mine_values will be explained further in the tutorial. What is the purpose of this D-shaped ring at the base of the tongue on my hiking boots? After becoming famous, CodeBots decided to move to a new building and live together. So, let's fix those names. It's a basic minesweeper game in terminal. It's clear that an enum for state and data is needed per tile, as well as the tile having the capability of call-backs into the board say when a mine was triggered. For this particular concept of the game, a new data structure is used, namely, vis. A ticket number is considered lucky if the sum of the first half of the digits is equal to the sum of the second half. Help Ratiorg by writing a function that returns the sum of numbers that appear in the given inputString. It is guaranteed that the parentheses in s form a regular bracket sequence. It only takes a minute to sign up. // can remove 2 to get the strictly increasing sequence [1, 3]. Several people are standing in a row and need to be divided into two teams. [input] string inputString greater than 0) integer the product of whose digits is equal to product. [output] boolean Starting off with some arrangement of mines we want to create a Minesweeper game setup. Minesweeper constraints. I have written this code in Python 3: def arrayChange (inputArray): original = inputArray [:] count = 0 if len (set (inputArray)) == 1: return ( (len (inputArray)-1)**2 + (len . Given your and your friend's arms' lifting capabilities find out if you two are equally strong. In my coding interview for a company, I got the question to write a Minesweeper game. Therefore, Minesweeper has a provision of using flag to mark the cells, which we know contains a mine. It looks like you are missing an abstraction, probably something like a Cell (which could be a namedtuple or a dataclass). The user has to clear the grid without setting off any mine. Find out how long it would take for your balance to pass a specific threshold with the assumption that you don't make any additional deposits. Another method is to have multiple layers, e.g. Is it a bug? This comment is problematic for many reasons. Off you go to explore the neighborhood. If input: Could anyone explain clearly why that's happening? CodeSignal - Arcade - Intro - JS - Minesweeper Raw Minesweeper.js function minesweeper(matrix) { let height = matrix.length; let width = matrix[0].length; let outArray = Array.from(Array(height), () => new Array(width)); let mines = 0; for(let i = 0; i < height; i++) { for(let j = 0; j < width; j++) { mines = 0; if(i > 0) { It should probably be part of the class documentation proper, i.e. You could just use 2D slicing (see the corresponding stackoverflow topic) and do. each minute after 10th costs min11 cents. For instance, it would allow you to flag already revealed positions, or maybe call setMine after the setup stage. This might be a little extensive, but it's good to make you aware of what could be covered when submitting code during the interview process. It is also a game of minesweeper. There is absolutely no reason to use Python 2 for new code in 2021. A few superficial things: Games like this are perfect for object oriented code. You could avoid some math to find the last item by using append, and give no argument to pop. F-strings: Python 3.6 and later have this capability; f-strings can make reading print statements much easier. We keep doing this until we get the said number of mines. Oh well, a bit of unfairness never hurt :). MathJax reference. I just reversed your logic: I walk through the output field and add values from matrix. Initially, plant is 0 meters tall. Check if all digits of the given integer are even. to use Codespaces. A tag already exists with the provided branch name. In general, your solution is working (if you uncomment the line #matrix[x].insert(len(matrix)+2, "x")), but you are making mistakes in your pop() sequence. Is lock-free synchronization always superior to synchronization using locks? [input] string s1 What is the duration of the longest call (in minutes rounded down to the nearest integer) you can have? rev2023.3.3.43278. Thank you for taking your time ! To associate your repository with the Is a collection of years plural or singular? [input] string time Also, I have them set to pretty aggressive settings, which can sometimes be annoying and overwhelming if you work with code that you haven't freshly written yourself. This can be done by: Note: There is a need to import the os library, before using this feature. Learn more about bidirectional Unicode characters. [input] integer n When you finally decide to head back, you realize there's a chance the bridges on your route home are up, leaving you stranded! The third candidate can win even if none of the remaining candidates vote for him. Other letters can be obtained in the same manner. Whether the cell to be flagged is already displayed to the player. We need to set up the positions of the mines randomly, so that the player might not predict their positions. sign in I appreciate any ideas. The initial deposit as a positive integer. output_matrix = [output_matrix [i] [1:len (output_matrix)-1] for i in range (1, len (output_matrix)-1 . All in all, it doesn't adhere to the principle of least surprise to me. Here's my proposal: (I like using dataclasses for things like this, but of course there are plenty of other options, like attrs or a plain Python class!). Minesweeper is a single-player puzzle game where you start with a rectangular grid of squares that are all covered.. You start off knowing number of mines that are hidden in the board, but not much else.. And the object of the game is to uncover squares and avoid uncovering any squares that contain mines.. Minesweeper in Python. I presume it is trying to count bombs. This file contains bidirectional Unicode text that may be interpreted or compiled differently than what appears below.