(see RC Ord. connected to the .gov website. Carrying passengers is prohibited on ATVs; rememberSafety First, Every Ride, Every Time. "I said, 'Well, I think I got shot. Dozens of signs scattered around the Hodge Road site greeted Dan Harley, a recreational shooter from Apple Valley, when he ventured there last month to do some shooting. Website: hodgeroad.com; Address: Apple Valley, CA 92307; Hours: Open 24 Hours; . This one is the Hodge Road Outdoor Shooting Area near Barstow, California. The map I got from the sheriffs was different. Hodge Road is a unique place. Guess I will stick to shotgun there. Spectacular scenery can be found among scenic vistas, such as the foggy bluffs of the King Range National . Since the owner leased the area to a communications company he has not allowed shooting there anymore. pm for more. ACalifornia hunting license is required to hunt within the State of California. So all these years of letting us shoot on his land was ruined. The LInk above is the one that has the number to call. If you call the apple valley sherrifs station and hit o. Not anymore. Secure .gov websites use HTTPS Some areas may not have cell reception.Have a spare tire, tools and know how to change it. Please bring trash bags with you and clean up your area. north of the 58 off meadow drive rd. Dress appropriately for the season and changing weather. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Share sensitive information only OHVs owned by California residents must be registered with the California DMV and display a valid Green Sticker or Red Sticker.. Maps do not display specific hunting and shooting sites. California Condor Range: Since July 1, 2008, theuse of projectiles containing lead when hunting big game and nongame species in an area designated as the California condor range have been prohibited bythe California Fish and Game Commission. Plan your route in advance. Went here today around 7:30am. "I said, 'Well there was nobody there, my shoulder really hurts, and a police officer happened to be there. Since the pandemic, we havent ventured out. It becomes a dirt road about a quarter mile from freeway. I dont see what the deal is, there is plenty of places to have a back stop. See More. Its going to be hot as balls out there in late August! Dude i have gone there a few times with friends. Look at this Indexand this Deer Hunting Zones Map. Ive been planning a trip out there with a bunch of friends for mid-end of August and want to make sure its open for shooting then. 14 million acres available for hunting and recreational shooting 350 miles of river available for fishing Shooting is strictly prohibited in developed recreation sites and other areas where posted. "I just feel blessed. California Recreation Activities. Adjacent private property owners are within their legal rights to prevent people from crossing their land to get to the public land. (LogOut/ We originally thought BLM but now think it might be the . Collaborative Action and Dispute Resolution, Hunting, Fishing and Recreational Shooting, California Department of Fish and Wildlife Hunting Regulations, California hunting license is required to hunt within the State of California, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, nonlead ammunition to be used when taking any wildlife with a firearm anywhere in the state, BLM Field Office having jurisdiction over the area, California Department of Fish and Wildlife Fishing Regulations, BLM sells Surface Management Status maps (in the desert regions these maps are also called Desert Access Guides), BLM office havingjurisdiction over that area, CALIFORNIA HUNTING INFORMATION (DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE), HUNTING GAME, BIG AND SMALL (U.S. 79 reviews on. We used all of the water we had with us to douse it. (909) 382-2682 (Voice) Out of all the hills out there the BLM had to do a land exchange with Hodge. The Bureau of Land Management provides opportunities to hunt, fish and engage in shooting sports activities in a safe and environmentally sound manner that promote marksmanship, public safety, hunter education, competition and lawful hunting. Yep, I remember telling the little lady that Hodge Rd would be history as soon as I seen the building on the hill. This is truly a hidden gem for shooting outdoors, this place is awesome open space lots of room to set up and, We pick up our own trash but some fools think it's ok to leave empty boxes of amo and. It shows areas for shooting shotgun, rifle and Handgun. ) or https:// means youve safely connected to the .gov website. on official, secure websites. Access to public lands must be on public roads. I was going to call BLM but they do not have a contact number, all contact is through email. Crossing private lands to access public land is not permitted, unless you obtain and carry written, date-specific permission from the private landowner. Just find your spot and set up This is where I go also. If you stick to the main road, you can go miles back by car, although it's some pretty severe washboard. The desert is a huge place with many miles of open BLM land to shoot on. Im waiting on them to mail the map to me from BLM it is more detailed and shows private land plus access routes. Anyways as for Hodge she told me that it is all privatly owned. I guess that's illigeal. does anyone know. All entrances are dirt roads. Hodge Road is a decent shooting area, I too have taken away several bags and bundles of garbage from there. Haha I know! Important - Shooters must call ahead to the Activity/PAL Level number 1-909-382-2997 (pre-recorded message) to find out the status of this shooting area for that day. Safety is your responsibility. That would be a long trip! (LogOut/ But he is especially grateful the bullet hit him where it did. Home . ) or https:// means you've safely He said the two had wrapped up around noon and were getting ready to head home when it happened. I see; many thanks! This list of regulations and tips should help OHV users and other recreationists appreciate and enjoy the use of these public lands. I was out there yesterday. It seemed like it appeared out of nowhere. State Office Public RoomBureau of Land Management2800 Cottage Way W1623Sacramento, CA 95825. I was out there last weekend and there were quite a few people set up and shooting. You may have to hike from your vehicle to a suitable and safe shooting location; be prepared to hike safely with your firearms and equipment. PLEASE AVOID THESE AREAS AND STAY AWAY FROM MINE SHAFTS! Please bring trash bags with you and clean up your area. How long ago was this? Not all public land parcels have public access. But your heart is in the right place! It seemed like it appeared out of nowhere. If you are hunting with the aid of a commercial outfitter or guide, you should ensure that he or she is permitted by theCalifornia Department of Fish and Wildlife. Tell someone where you are going and when you plan on returning. but they said at blm above 58 and 40 was legal for all calibers. Hey guys ordered a map! Anything south is shotgun only. If you call the apple valley sherrifs station and hit o. Do not touch petroglyphs or remove artifacts. Come prepared! It was at the top of the hill people were shooting into. YOU are the range master. If you venture off the main road, you can run into some real problems with ground clearance and sand. This state is so jacked up, they want us to be stuck in small shooting areas and confined so they can controll us. I thought something fell from the sky. According to BLM and Sherrifs Dept dut to it is all privatley owned. The BLM is a multi-use agency. Why cant they just leave us alone?I bet the shooting areas they slected you cant get a target over 100 yards! Hey guys, I've been pulling my hair out on trying to find if Hoge road off the 15 fwy is legal, Location: Formerly: Redondo Beach Currently: Sedona AZ. Mon: . He has been placed into custody, according to DeSoto County Sheriff's Office. I have shot there a bunch and couldn't believe they put that tower there and still allowed shooting. a buddy was shooting at hodge road today . still open. Anybody have a contact at the San Bernardino Sheriff's where we can get the straight story? The area offers diverse landscapes for OHV recreation, including steep rocky mountains, rolling hills, open valleys, and winding sandy washes. I suggested going there at the crack of dawn before it gets to hot or wait until the winter months. Those who know us know this is very normal behavior for us! And Warrens Center Road sort of split. Me and a friend found out the hard way when 4 SBCS squad cars rolled up on us.We did not get a ticket or a fine we were told not to shoot there anymore. United States government. All persons, regardless of age, who operate an ATV on Public Lands must wear an approved safety helmet. Make sure to never dry-fire a bow, use proper arrows that you store in a quiver and stay alert around broadheads. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Unfortunately I believe there is nothing you can do. ( Gun owners said the area, just off the Hodge Road exit, had been open for years as an informal, public shooting range. You can't miss where they do dirt bike stuff. Thank you in advance, Pat. Go past the signs. Get of at Hodge Rd. If felt like someone hit me with a hammer," he said. Practice Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly principles. I'll prob take a day off and go during a Monday or Thursday or Friday so it isn't too crowded (I don't have a 4x4, or even a crossover). Ive been wondering this as well. Vehicles are restricted to designated routes of travel as posted on BLM maps. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. I just wish people were more environmentally aware. The triangular-shaped riding area is formed by Interstate 15 and California Highway 247 (Barstow Road), immediately south of Barstow. Draining holding tanks and littering is prohibited. Hi Ozzie, thanks for the info. Stoddard Valley OHV Area Phone: 760-252-6000 Email: BLM_CA_Web_BA@blm.gov Address: Bureau of Land Management Barstow Field Office Barstow, CA 92311 Latitude/Longitude: safe and follow all the basic smart shooter rules like shoot at a backdrop that will stop any bullets especially rifle rounds. If you do get off at Hodge road do as MJather said and go a few miles in well past the other shooters. BLM Surface Management Mapsshow land ownershipand includepublic and private land, roads, and more. north of the 58, east of 247, north of gas lin rd, you are G2G, stop in at slash X if you will be going the 247 area the will point you in the right area. It is illegal to possess and/or discharge fireworks. The Desert Dispatch is a daily newspaper serving the communities of Barstow, Dagget, Fort Irwin, Hinkley, Lenwood, Newberry Springs and Yermo. Winter temperatures may drop below freezing, and desert winds are frequent and strong. The lady there will fax you a map for the shotgun areas. Do your part to keep public lands clean and prevent the spread of invasive species. The map below is under construction and does not necessarily reflect the current OHV open area boundaries. I smoke cigarettes, but I DO NOT throw my butts on the ground and I always clean up after myself. The 150-yard area is a safety zone.. ), ISO Replacement Forearm Pads for a Beretta Extrema. It really PISSES me off to see how ignorant people can be. This area is permitted for competitive racing events. Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. HODGE ROAD SHOOTING AREA - 105 Photos & 78 Reviews - 29980 Hodge Rd, Apple Valley, CA, United States - Yelp Restaurants Home Services Auto Services More Hodge Road Shooting Area 78 reviews Unclaimed Gun/Rifle Ranges Edit Open Open 24 hours See hours See all 114 photos Write a review Add photo Share Save Review Highlights Carry plenty of water, at a minimum of 1 gallon per person, per day. BLM website says it doesnt have any designated shooting sites. People are pigs who dont care. Secure .gov websites use HTTPS Barstow office likely. Please plan ahead and keep it clean for all visitors. TheBLM sells Surface Management Status maps (in the desert regions these maps are also called Desert Access Guides)that can be helpful in locating public lands. Riverside County:shooting is restrictedin any developed recreational area; within 300 yards ofany building, house, dwelling place, corral, feed yard, park, public campground, state riding andhiking trail, or public road; within 1 mile of any incorporated city; between 12 hour after sunset to12 hour before sunrise. People on the other side of them kept on shooting. If this is the case I'm surprised we do not hear of people getting busted out there more often. You get the key, come and go as you like. If you travel further in its really nice. Best. Stadelman said he came forward with his story to caution dirt bike riders and shooting range visitors to be aware of each other. Burning tires, magnesium, wires, petroleum products or any other hazardous or explosive material is prohibited. . Shotguns. Shell casings were EVERYWHERE! it will show where it is ok to shoot rifle pistol and shotgun. We originally thought BLM but now think it might be the county of San Bernardino. 70 reviews of Hodge Road shooting area "Great place to shoot, open area with very few people out. Pictures: The hillside had a TON OF WASTE! http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/ting-area.html, http://www.socalcamping.com/shooting/shoot_info.html, http://www.californiadesert.gov/addi=noralg&act=hu, http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/recshoot.html, http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/iac/maps_pubroom.html, http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialnarea_8x11.pdf, An older thread about hodge rd. United States. Take steps to make sure trailer chains arent dragging, and stay on roads and trails. i drove up there for the first time, i really like it but theres too much trash. I had no idea how or what was going on.". The area has trails for every level from expert riders to beginners. It was even worse closer to the interstate. Website. Is hodge rd easy to access by car or is a truck required? A gunman responsible for multiple shootings while traveling around the city and filming it on Facebook Live has been caught, police said. 34 votes, 23 comments. Motorized vehicles should yield to non-motorized craft and aircraft. Also BLM area versus private property. Oh Barb! Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until your sights are on the target and you are ready to shoot. Please use thisgeoreferenced map. Over 99 percent of BLM-managed lands are open to hunting, fishing and recreational shooting . Tell others where you are going ahead of time. Always bring a first-aid kit, extra water, food and dry clothing. We finally found a place not too close to others but quickly found out why a tire was burning/smoldering. "I think I will try to stay further away from where people are able to shoot their guns," he added. 24 hour access, 7 days a week. Read the signs - they say something like 1000 feet from the tower and a half mile from the road, I think. Going to take a new shooter there; while I'm really good with keeping a very close hand on them I always feel like they do better in a lower stress environment with a lot less people in close proximity. Always be sure of your target and what is beyond. Courtesy of Tuna Quesadillia in another thread. Bureau of Land Management Not anymore. San Diego County:shooting is restrictedin any developed recreational area; within 150 yards ofany occupied residence or associated outbuildings; within 500 yards of any properly signed,established stock watering hole or place. Why are you OC guys driving so far? Other visitors may be using the same areas for recreational uses such as camping, hiking, biking, and rock-hounding. The BLM allows the use of firearms on public lands as provided for inCalifornia state law. J always make it a point to scavenge the trash left behind and gather as much wood as I can carry to use for bonfires at night. Fire Season: some areas may beclosed to target shooting. Needless to say, this was a common sight the mishandling of the weapons by kids thankfully not all were on opposite sides of the road from their targets. Hodge Road Shooting Area 80 reviews Unclaimed Gun/Rifle Ranges Open Open 24 hours See hours See all 119 photos Write a review Add photo Save safe and follow all the basic smart shooter rules like shoot at a backdrop that will stop any bullets especially rifle rounds. When target shooting, always use appropriate targets and backstops. A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States. ALWAYS Keep The Gun Unloaded Until Ready To Use4. 3: No shooting . Dedicated to Off road and recreational firearm enthusiasts. Vehicles are prohibited in all wilderness areas. A known spot to locals, it can be crowded in the weekends. I'm planning a trip down to hodge road (I know its going to be hot) in the next few coming weeks and I was trying to find some map or resource online to see if it is still open or if it is closed to due some fire restriction. ) or https:// means youve safely connected to the .gov website. Public lands in California are open to fishing under California Department of Fish and Wildlife Fishing Regulations. Hodge road is a no no. I mentioned we should go out to clean up and I got laughed at. So I moved from Glendale to Victorville, I had to find another BLM shooting range. Recent Instagram posts @declutteringthestuff links below, Adventures with Winnie (and other travels), Follow Decluttering the Stuff on WordPress.com, Oh, the memories (not necessarily a goodone), Yellowstone National Park in winter (part2), Yellowstone National Park in the winter! On Sunday, the 37-year-old Corona man was out dirt bike riding with his daughter off Hodge Road just outside of Barstow. The map below does not necessarily reflect the current OHV open area boundaries. going out for the first time to hodge in a few weeks, is it best to shoot in the north side or south side of west hodge road? That would be nice, but seeing as I drive a sport compact that is out of the picture unless I get a rental or something. Know your surroundings. Once browsing, make sure to check the boxes labeled "Bureau of Land Management Lands" and "Land Status" as shown in the figure below. Ive been shooting there and camping out for years. Treat cultural sites with respect. Anyways she said Rifle pistol and shot gun are ok north of the 58 and 40. Use a rangefinder if you want to go the "minimum." Shooters are responsible for knowing applicable laws and using firearms and other recreational shooting weapons in a safe manner. A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States. Predator Hunting (Coyote, Bobcat, Fox, Wolf, Cougar, etc. There are many opportunities for hiking, rock scrambling, rock hounding, plant viewing, bird and wildlife watching. Dozens of signs scattered around the Hodge Road site greeted Dan Harley, a recreational shooter from Apple Valley, when he ventured there last month to do some shooting. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Public lands in the Golden State offer a sense of adventure for the outdoor enthusiast, offering rivers, trails, campgrounds, off-road open areas, and more. What days are Hodge Road Shooting Area open? This was the deciding factor for us we dont belong here and need to leave! 1. I have family that is BLM LEO that patrols the high desert, per him and BLM website solid projectiles are only allowed north, northeast or northwest of Barstow. Im glad there are areas that were cleaner and safer. 29980 Hodge Rd Apple Valley Apple Valley, California, 92307, As enthusiasts and frequent visitors ofHodge Road we launched this websiteTo help other visitors. Practice proper rifle and archery safety. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The area is hot and arid. "To be honest, I was just very thankful that my daughter wasn't hit. DEEP MINE SHAFTS EXIST IN THE RIDING AREA! Check on specific hunting season dates and permit requirements with theCalifornia Department of Fish and Wildlife. By checking your equipment, you decrease risk of injury to yourself and others and to avoid accidentally starting a wildfire on public lands. Hodge Road Shooting Area [20100 - 20298] Hodge Rd Helendale CA 92342. It's amazing how many times I have heard this same thing from various people and for various location. Map Information, Interactive Visitor Map: San Bernardino National Forest. Every time I visit BLM land I take 4 to 5 extra trash bags cause I know I'm gonna have to clean up someone else's mess as well as my own. But Hodge Road is 3. This has always been a unique event for us as we schedule it during the summer in an attempt to "spread out" our events. It is illegal to operate an OHV under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. Hodge Road Shooting Area. Anyone have any info? Until then do your part as far as cleanup and enjoy the shooting range as long as we can. ), Bring the Great Outdoors into the Kitchen, 14 million acres available for hunting and recreational shooting, Santa Rosa & San Jacinto Mountains Natl. It is unlawful for a person to intentionally discharge a firearm or release an arrow or crossbow bolt over or across a public road or other established way open to the public in an unsafe and reckless manner. That junk is disgusting! We went with a rake and bags, cleaned up a large area (a drop in the bucket) did our shooting and then cleaned up our crap. Some BLM maps can also be found on the BLM website. Please shoot safely. Remember, it is YOUR responsibility to know the laws and regulations - all federal, state, and county regulations apply to public lands. They publish hunting regulations that listall the season dates. 210yd outdoor range with plenty of shade. Caltrans officials tweeted about two hours later that southbound lanes had reopened, while the northbound lanes remained closed at Hodge Road, which is roughly 5 miles south of Sidewinder. (part1). Unless specifically prohibited, public lands managed by BLM are open to hunting underCalifornia Department of Fish and Wildlife Hunting Regulations. I really don't know how they could have made that mistake," he said. Collaborative Action and Dispute Resolution, https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2023-02/WEMO_Stoddard_Valley_508.pdf. The lady there will fax you a map for the shotgun areas. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Sorry it turned out so bad! The BLM Surface Management Status maps and DAGmaps do not show specific areas for hunting or target shooting. Im usually always alone and Ive never had a problem there. It was a very spur of the moment outing a discussion that there was an outdoor shooting area near Barstow at breakfast with friends, deciding we had nothing else to do, gathering all our stuff, and driving out. Please help preserve our heritage. I can see why the BLM would shut this down. Summer temperatures range from 100-120 degrees Fahrenheit. Every time I've been I can see the crowd at Hodge from the freeway. I'm calling out everyone who goes out there to PLEASE clean up a little extra with your own trash. I always clean up after myself also. Yep, I remember telling the little lady that Hodge Rd would be history as soon as I seen the building on the hill. The east side of Hodge and everything else off 15 is BLM. Be on the lookout for other people and potential risks. Stadelman believes he was shot by accident with a bullet that traveled from across the freeway where a shooting range is located. The experiences are as varied as the landscapes. Shooting Range; 4.5. I would like to thank the sheriffs Dept Apple valley and BLM they were both more than helpful. Also off of the 40 east of Fort Cady road above the talc mine.Ill try to copy the sections for shooting,So maybe some one else can make a little more sence of it. Claim this business Website. I would sure like to know who American Wildlife Services are, but I'm to lazy to do the research. Let others know your plans. Location: The People's Socialist Republic of Los Angeles. We didnt arrive until about 2pm. We ventured to our second Public Land recently. This one is the Hodge Road Outdoor Shooting Area near Barstow, California. It would be a different story," he said. An official website of the You can call the BLM office for that area. Whenever you venture out on public lands, you should follow outdoor ethics to preserve the great outdoors for future generations. Official websites use .gov A .gov San Bernardino, CA 92408 Official websites use .gov Once you have selected a possible location, and priorto your trip, check with theBLM office havingjurisdiction over that areafor current conditions,regulations, fire hazard closures and otherinformation.