CocoTherapy Organic Virgin Coconut oil is 100% pure and natural: Recommended amount to give: 1 teaspoon (5ml) per 10 pounds (5kg) of body weight, or 1 tablespoon (15ml) per 30 pounds (13.6 kg) of body weight. You must log in or register to reply here. But, it is and here we are! 3.1 Enhances the Gut Health; 3.2 Strengthen the Immune System; 4 Risks Of Overfeeding Coconut Flesh To Guinea Pigs. Lastly, coconut, when is given in moderation, offers good . It's not worth testing for mites, so if you read this page and if it sounds like your piggie has mites then either take him to an exotics vet and tell them you don't want a skin scraping, or get ivermectin yourself and send a picture of the ivermectin and your piggie's weight and we can help you dose him. Some people believe coconut oil is safe for guinea pigs, as it has been used for centuries in many cultures for various purposes. Yes. A good starting point is 1-2 teaspoons per day for a small guinea pig or one tablespoon per day for a giant guinea pig. Having noticed the inherent passion and zeal in me to care for pets, I took a step further to create a team of I and like-minded individuals to provide an informative resource in order to broaden the knowledge base of a regular pet owners. Guinea pigs often have dry ears that can scale and accumulate dead skin. This is because, while there are some benefits to using this product on a pigs skin, there are also some potential risks. Welcome to Good House Pets. What are the benefits of coconut for guinea pigs? Its also a safer option than using harsh chemicals or cleaners. The oil can help to keep their skin healthy and moisturized, and it can also be used to treat minor wounds by applying it like a dust shield while the antibacterial properties get to work. You must log in or register to reply here. for Cagetopia C&C Cages, Stands, Covers, Kitchens, Lofts, Grids, Coro, Midwest Add-ons & morevisit GuineaPigCagesStore.com (our Sister Store). What do you know about Rodents? If their skin does become dry, you can use a tiny bit of natural moisturizer, like coconut oil, on it, but never use any lotions designed for humans. Yes, it undeniably holds a lot of nutrients but then be careful not to overfeed your cavy friend. Mites and Hair Loss - the book talks about one of our long-time rescuers using a total coating of VCO CO for a guinea pig. . How to properly use coconut oil in guinea pigs? Consult your veterinarian if you have concerns about using coconut oil on your guinea pig. You are using an out of date browser. Benefits And Risks, Can Hamsters Eat Bananas? healthier heart as long as your guinea pig eats coconut in moderation it is good for the heart of guinea pigs because it contains lipoproteins or good HDL cholesterol. Enter your email here to stay updated about all things piglz. It is essential to use a pure, unrefined oil and massage it thoroughly into the skin. It can be a life-saver and belongs in every first-aid kit, no question. Guinea pigs need plenty of fatty acids in their diet to stay healthy, so many owners wonder if Vaseline is a good source of these fats. Why do you put Coconut Oil on guinea pigs? Once all the soap or oil is gone, remove your pet promptly and wrap them in a towel to stay warm. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me earlier that it would be just as fabulous for guinea pigs and pets as it is for people. Its supposed to be brilliant for fungal treatment, arthritis, a lustrous coat, the list goes on and on! You can use coconut oil for them. Hello, i was given the same advise today as I'm terribly concerned with piggy scratching and biting. The coconut oil simply melts on their skin - and it's a massage for your pig. Youve used coconut oil to clean your guinea pigs grease glands. Male guinea pigs have a scent gland or grease gland above the tail. Should I put Coconut Oil on my skinny pig? You should see improvement within a few days. When you visit a store like Best Buy or Walmart, youll come across , Anybody whos ever tried to change their NAT type to open knows how frustrating and complex the world of ethernet and ethernet cables can be. Cagetopia C&C Cages, Stands, Covers, Kitchens, Lofts, Grids, Coro, Midwest Add-ons & more. Coconut oil can help improve your guinea pigs coat and skin condition, as well as help, prevent mites. Coconut oil is an essential part of a guinea pigs diet. You are using an out of date browser. They say avocado is good for skin, hair, cholesterol and blood pressure, but you may not care about those benefits if this study is true. Additionally, because guinea pigs are small animals with delicate systems, it is possible that even a tiny amount of coconut oil could cause problems. You can do this with your fingers or with a cotton swab. Antioxidants are responsible for reducing oxidative stress by scavenging free radicals in the body. Do you rinse the coconut oil off? Most people know that coconut oil is excellent for cooking, but many dont know that it can also be used on guinea pigs as a natural moisturizer. Carrington Farms brand. My pigs have a bit of dry skin on their feet and I remember reading in the forum you can use coconut oil for dry skin. You should regularly clean the guinea pigs ears about 2-3 times a year. To clean your guinea pigs bottom, proceed as follows: You can buy mineral oil for guinea pigs in nearby stores. Coconut oil can help soothe dry or irritated patches on your guinea pigs skin. Mineral oil is not part of a guinea pig diet. If you do anything with music, you know this, and you know that youre going to have to invest in some cables to listen to the audio youre creating or enjoying. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Cleaning helps to remove the earwax and dead skin that can attract mites and make your cavies uncomfortable. Regularly cleaning its bottom side is one of the ways of ensuring that your cavy is healthy and happy. Waveley Member. The major problem that is associated with drinking coconut water is the high level of potassium. It can certainly help soothe inflamed skin and helps heal wounds. It will not necessarily be a problem, as long as they are served in small quantities. Jul . Coconut oil can be added to water, but it is not necessary. !. Medical Disclaimer - Disclaimer - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy. weight gain because coconut contains a lot of fat, if guinea pigs eat coconut often, be sure to gain weight. The whole CAT rating system can get pretty confusing so bear with me here. Can guinea pigs be fed with coconut milk? It has many benefits, including: Coconut oil can also be added to food. A few include fats (basically the coconut oil when extracted), protein, carbs and also a good amount of dietary fibers. Too Much Can Be Bad, Health Benefits of Coconuts for Guinea Pigs, 4) Coconut Oil for Guinea Pigs Skin (Topical benefits), How To Safely Give Coconuts To My Guinea Pigs. Can I use Coconut Oil to clean my guinea pigs ears? I use it on dry skin (after making sure that mites aren't the culprit) and grease glands, as well as to soften scabs. Why bother with a cheap phone when you can get a good smartphone camera for a reasonable price? The coconuts are grown in a USDA certified organic coconut farm. Here for You! For these reasons, it is generally not recommended to put Vaseline on your guinea pig. 2023 GuineaPigMarket.com - All Rights Reserved. Senior Guinea Pig. So, it will not take you long before you find the best seller. Fortunately, mineral oil is affordable and readily available. Some say it is, while others warn against using this product on guinea pigs because of the risk of obesity and other health problems. The second step is to apply some Organic coconut oil around the area. Lets Discover, Why Do Hamsters Live Such Short Lives? For wound treatment and dust shielding, simply apply a small layer of coconut oil to the affected area. This alone is pretty likely to prompt the question can guinea pigs eat coconut? Coconuts are best given as treats and not as a staple food source. To use coconut oil on a guinea pig, simply melt a small amount and apply it gently with a brush or your fingers. Make sure to use a damp cloth to clean any grease off their fur after applying the oil. Sheltie Vs. Border Collie: What Are The Breeds Differences And Similarities, St. Bullnard: Get To Know The St. Bernard Pitbull Mix, Dutch Shepherd Vs. German Shepherd (Everything You Need To Know), Collie Vs. Border Collie: A Comprehensive Guide, Pitbull Malinois Mix: All You Need To Know. Heres how to use Coconut Oil on guinea pigs: The best way to give your guinea pig Coconut Oil is by adding it to their food. Adding coconut oil to your guinea pigs food or water is a great way to give them the benefits of this nutrient-rich oil. Benefits And Risks. i used this for my hamster who had bumble foot and it worked like a charm it keeps the bacteria from coming in and also soothes the foot or whatever you use it for i would totally recommend this! We will talk about, Read More How To Play With Guinea PigsContinue, Guinea pigs are known for displaying a variety of behaviors while eating, breathing, and drinking. Overall, coconut oil is a safe and effective way to treat many skin problems in guinea pigs. You can buy one at a low price here on Amazon. Coconut oil is an excellent choice for guinea pigs because it is a natural, safe product. What's new New posts New media New articles New media comments New article comments Latest activity Various pet grooming regimens usually contain a modest amount of coconut oil and those for guinea pigs are definitely not an exception. As we probably know, guinea pigs are herbivores with special preferences for foods such as hay, grasses, pellets and veggies. Consult your veterinarian if you have concerns about using coconut oil on your guinea pig. Guinea pig owners should be aware of their pets unusual actions so that they can see a, Read More Why Does Your Guinea Pig Rock Back and Forth?Continue, Are guinea pigs rodents? From girls on premium snapchat accounts to the plethora of cam sites, its never been easier to replace or even exceed income from a normal job. In his new book, available here, the ladies who run this business are prominently featured. Coconuts are a delicious fruit and are very popular all over the world, and the largest producer is Indonesia. Here you can see a few examples of ones weve chosen in the past and what other guinea pig owners recommend: Coconut oil is a natural product with a wide range of uses. Jenny and I had the pleasure of meeting the ladies who run this Coconut Oil business in the Philippines at the trade show we attended recently. A little bit of oil goes a long way so dont overdo it! You may consider using coconut oil for skinny pigs with dry skin. Coconut Oil is a natural way to help with various health problems and is also a good source of energy and nutrients. The worlds largest producer of coconuts is Indonesia. Coconut oil with its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties contributes to improving the condition of the fur of your furry pets. Even the best bed will fail in the absence of good music. Coconut oil is also effective at combating fungal infections, which are common in guinea pigs. strengthening the immune system primarily due to the presence of antioxidants, which in addition to strengthening the immune system, also help fight free radicals, and reduce the chances of cancer in guinea pigs. We are grateful and encourage you to explore the site for topics related to guinea pig keeping as a pet. I've always been an animal lover, and I've worked in the pet industry. Coconut oil is quite fatty and if ingested in large amounts can cause your guinea pig to become overweight or obese. Good House Pets is a beneficiary of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Network, an affiliate advertising program that allows websites to earn advertising fees by advertising and referring to Amazon.com. If you are using coconut oil for the first time, start with a small amount and increase gradually. If a cavy itches for to long it can cause seizures and eventually kill them. Overall, coconut oil is a safe and effective way to treat many skin problems in guinea pigs. The edible part of coconut contains many important nutrients that can provide nourishment to guinea pigs. It has worked very well for us! Our aim is to provide the reader with information to enable them to make a good decision when making a purchase or caring for their pet. They will not harm your little piggies. Whether youre in a fuckbuddy relationship, or youre getting together with someone you just met on the Local Sex app, some good music from a good sound , If you are looking for a great camera phone but dont want to spend a lot of money, you dont have to buy a mobile phone for the camera alone and accept the shortcomings. If possible, remove the coconut shell, which will make it easier for the guinea pig to eat the fruit, without any complications. You will learn how to play with guinea pigs to keep them active and happy. We can therefore conclude that the harm outweighs the benefits if guinea pigs drink coconut water. Yes, guinea pigs can drink coconut water, but in moderation, and in very rare situations. Hey there, I'm Angela. What are the side effects of coconut for guinea pigs? The core component of coconut responsible for decreasing inflammation is lauric acid, a medium-length long-chain fatty acid that constitutes about 50% of the total lipid content in coconut. potassium contributes to better nervous health and excellent fluid balance in the body of guinea pigs. Guinea pigs produce enough oil to keep their skin moist if comfortable and get a good diet. heart problems fats help raise cholesterol and cause heart problems in guinea pigs. We and our partners share information on your use of this website to help improve your experience. So, feeding them twice or once a week would be just fine. But this should not disappoint you because there are a number of different types of food that guinea pigs will surely want to eat. But that means it can do its job a little too well and clog pores and cause acne breakouts especially if your skin is . To find out exactly what guinea pigs get from eating coconut, here is what the nutritional value of 50 grams of coconut looks like: As can be seen from the composition coconut offers benefits, with the exception of large amounts of fat and potassium, so moderation is very important. The fatty acids present in coconut are lauric acid, myristic acid and palmitic acid. The importance of using coconut oil on guinea pigs cannot be overstated. The saturated high-fat content of coconuts is a notable disadvantage which makes them quite unhealthy for the heart. You sound like me, its a wonder I haven't tried that. Yes, extra virgin coconut oil is safe for guinea pigs to have. Coconut water has a lot of health benefits and it is filled with myriads of important nutrients. Living in Colorado as well I know it all too well. Some guinea pig breeds are just not comfortable with ear cleaning. Mineral oil is safe and effective for use in cleaning guinea pigs. Are Audiophile Grade Cables Really Worth It? In general, coconut oil is safe for guinea pigs. It is also worth noting that there is no evidence that coconut oil offers any benefits for guinea pigs, so it is unnecessary to use it on them. Coconut oil is a great way to clean these glands, as it is gentle yet effective. Our Fungi Spray you can spray your Guinea pig ,Cat or Hedgehog or any small animal or their enclosure its been proven to help cut down and eliminate Fungus spores and on your pet . However, others believe that coconut oil could be harmful to guinea pigs. on How are CAT-5, CAT-5e, and CAT-6 Ethernet Different? Contents. Guinea pigs should eat coconut occasionally and in small quantities. But has any research been done into the safety of it as a food for guinea pigs? Coconut oil is also low in vitamin C, which is vital for the health of your Guinea Pig. If the infection is caught on the early stages, coconut oil can be used as a cheap and effective treatment on the affected areas. Copyright 2000 - 2023, Guinea Pig Cages. Coconuts are quite common in the tropics and are used in cooking, as well as in the production of various creams and other cosmetics. Thanks for the advise, I'm a new mommy , got piggy 3 weeks ago and hes approx 9 weeks old. It may also aid in the cleaning of blocked grease glands. Well, that depends on the severity of anal impaction. You might be interested in Do Guinea Pigs Poop A Lot? I make sure to take good care of all the animals that come into my life. It may not hurt them, but I doubt it will help them, and given all that we don't know about it, I wouldn't risk it with mine. After gaining experience in raising and training various pets, I realized the need to provide answers to frequently asked questions from pet owners as well as insightful advice I've learned over the years to assist pet parents raise healthy and well-behaved pets. However, they love exploring new places and can get lost if care is not taken. Not only does it have a wealth of health benefits, but it is also a natural source of Lauric Acid. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. In addition, coconuts provide protection to the body against harmful microbes like bacteria, viruses and fungi. All You Need To Know, Can You Use Beach Sand for Hamsters? Are you dreaming of spending quality time with your guinea pigs, and you just dont know how to do it? However, guinea pigs should not give large quantities of coconut oil. We use coconut oil on ourselves daily as a skin care. What distinguishing features do guinea pigs share with other rodents? One way to help improve your guinea pigs health is by adding Coconut Oil to their diet. Urine Scald As greedy eaters, guinea pigs would always squeal at the sight of food and gobble up as much as they can. Oh no :sad: In the event of mites what do i do then? What Are The Sounds When the Guinea Pigs Are Sick? The oil will lubricate ok if it's not the cold pressed kind, but you won't get the other benefits of it. guinea pig, look for cold-pressed virgin coconut oil that is free of additives or preservatives. Coconut oil also has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which could benefit guinea pigs. Also, ensure that you remove the shell covering the coconut meat to avoid any form of complications. Yes, guinea pigs can eat dry coconut in moderation.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'petsanimalsworld_com-mobile-leaderboard-1','ezslot_14',698,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-petsanimalsworld_com-mobile-leaderboard-1-0'); Dry coconut is similar to coconut chips so two pieces are just enough for your guinea pigs. Coconuts are safe for guinea pigs and free of any sort of harmful toxins. 2.1 Coconut Oil Guinea Pig's Skin; 2.2 Reduce Inflammatory Reactions; 3 Health Benefits of Coconuts for Guinea Pigs. Coconut Oil can help with everything from skin conditions to weight management. Joined Jul 14, 2015 Posts 9. Joined Jan 27, 2010 Messages 18,878 Reaction score 10,549 Points 2,155 Location Herts. You almost kind of have to rub off the excess, or you will have a very buttery pig . Is coconut oil safe for guinea pigs skin? In such a situation, you should not panic, you should first give him a larger amount of water so that the coconut can be digested more easily in their stomach. You can give your pet a small amount of coconut oil on its food or rub it into its fur to help with dry skin. For instance, cedar and pine wood shavings are fragrant beddings that conceal odors from guinea pig urine. Adding Coconut Oil to your guinea pigs diet is easy and can significantly impact their overall health. How are CAT-5, CAT-5e, and CAT-6 Ethernet Different? In fact, it can actually help to soothe and protect their skin from further damage. 4.1 The Potassium Level of Coconut Flesh Is Too High. Well, yes. Coconut has a very large amount of fat and therefore we should be careful when giving it to guinea pigs. Yes. Yellow coconut flakes will be problematic to eat and digest in their digestive system. Lastly, coconut, when is given in moderation, offers good benefits for guinea pigs, so be careful with the amount. You can also look for them online on Amazon or your preferred drug store. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Side effects of using coconut oil on your skin. Copyright 2023 Good House Pets - All Rights Reserved. Regularly help remove the droppings from their anal sac. If you haven't checked out Peony the Pig, I highly recommend it. No. Congratulations to our Photo Competition Winner - @fur&feathers. I am curious because I have seen people mention using coconut oil on their guinea pigs skin or oil glands. In this case, we will highlight the steps to follow when using mineral oil. Your pet will more than likely be cross with you at this point! Another challenge people often face getting the oil off of their guinea pigs fur. Avoiding anything with additives is a must as well, as these can also be harmful to your guinea pig. Always consult with a vet before changing your skinny pig's health routine. JavaScript is disabled. Yes! Be sure to avoid getting the oil in their eyes or nose, and always let it cool before application. This acid is known to help improve immune system function, making your pig healthier overall. Some people believe coconut oil is safe for guinea pigs, as it has been used for centuries in many cultures for various purposes. on 3 Reasons Why Wired Ethernet is Better Than Wi-Fi, Best Speaker Systems For The Bedroom: Set The Mood For Local Sex Hookups, Best Phone Camera For Dating Apps And Social Media, Why Expensive HDMI Cables Are Unnecessary. Just apply very lightly and leave on, but if your pig has mites (which are under their skin) then this won't do any good at all. It could also be an allergic reaction to something like the bedding. This means its the perfect solution for infections or other problems in your pets ears. You should only feed your guinea pig a small amount of coconut oil, 1-2 times per week maximum. Coconut oil has many benefits for guinea pigs, including antibacterial and antifungal. on Are Audiophile Grade Cables Really Worth It? For more information on bonding guinea pigs, . . Mineral oils are readily available. While feeding coconut meat to your cavy friend, it is wise to give him a little amount on an occasional basis. Copyright 2000 - 2023, Guinea Pig Cages. thick skin vs high confidence; how to calculate lattice parameter from xrd for hexagonal; . You may need to check these two to save the situation. Today, pet firms manufacture multi-functional guinea pig cages in a variety of sizes to accommodate any guinea pig. As previously mentioned, coconut oil provides anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory benefits to cavys coat. Instead, you can get a healthy chewing toy for them. So, how do you use coconut oil on a guinea pig? - All prices are in USD. We have created this post specifically for you. Vaseline is made of petroleum jelly, a mineral oil type. What can I use coconut oil for on my skinny pig? It can help to reduce the amount of hair shedding. So it not like I can use the shampoo on the ear direct. After all, as with humans, moderate amounts can only bring benefits, while eating too much coconut can cause health problems. Mineral oil does not have many alternatives, but you can consider coconut oil or olive oil. You may need to change the diet and include more hay and fiber in the diet. Breeding The most common skin problems in cavies are ringworm (a fungus) and mange mites. its a miracle in a jar. However, you should be careful not to allow the oil to flow down through the ear canal. Mineral oil is very effective as a cleaning agent. Categories . What are the nutritional values of coconut? The peel can cause choking problems in their digestive system.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'petsanimalsworld_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_2',692,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-petsanimalsworld_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0'); Stick to the coconut fruit, and avoid the husk, there is no reason to expose your pets to unnecessary risk.