Some of the most common rabbit diseases include: Snuffles Encephalitozoonosis Flystrike Bordetella bronchiseptica Staphylococcosis Fortunately, most of these are relatively easy to treat and prevent as long as you know what you're looking for. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google There are some snotty people on Etherbun, though. When your rabbit is lying down, put your hands underneath and gently massage the abdomen. Soak the infected site in a sodium bicarbonate solution for 15 minutes. You can also mix tea tree oil with aloe vera gel in a 3:1 ratio. Neem Leaves 11. We asked the vet to take a look at the red bump on his lip while he was under anesthesia. Cedar oil is good for getting rid of parasites, fleas, mites and bedbugs and is harmless to animals and humans. Hope this helps. Anyway, I've been searching for a way to treat them that is not Ivermectin or Revolution or Advantage or any other of those heavy chemicals that may cause other problems down the road. . You can also wipe their whole body afterwards. Every animal feed store/pharmacy sells them. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6538181/. Use commercially produced turmeric-based ointments. He never looked at the poop samples, nor listened to my suggestion of using critical care. Using garlic daily helps destroy the bacterial and fungal growth, and then prevent the spread of skin fungus and bacterial infections. Published January 2006. home remedy for rabbit fungus. You are welcome, appreciate your support, stay tuned for more such articles. Avoid wearing clothes that are too tight since these can reduce airflow to your skin and increase local sweating, which together will increase the risk of fungal infection. Neem. I've found the Critical Care quickly eliminates wool block (you give it 4 to 6 times a day until they start eating and pooping normally again). Maximum result in 1 week. Rabbit Care: Rabbits need plenty of water, some veggies and greens in addition to rabbit feed, and amusements to keep them stimulated and happy. However, It usually recommends an on-off routine. Use Turmeric 7. Yogurt has been anecdotally used for the treatment of fungal infections, although there is no scientific evidence to it. He also put him on a general antibiotic. In some parts of the country, feed stores sell timothy.) The recommended herbs that balance the immune system for all rabbits are E.purpurea. Better that antibiotics which can cause major problems in rabbits due to their digestive system. Stay Safe! Also you want to make sure that if they are not eating they are getting electrolytes. Fungal infections can be contagious in some cases. This property of coconut oil is useful in controlling the growth of yeast or candida. Garlic 9. Home remedies for rabbit. seems to be an effective pain reliever, and rabbits actually like its taste. There was no sign of abrasion, cut, bite or reason for the lump. And a little bit goes such a long way. These generally contain ingredients such as miconazole, tolciclate, ketoconazole, ciclopirox, and selenium sulfide. Always take a shower and use fresh clothing after exercising or spending time outdoors if you sweat a lot. I brought her to the vet in time (you've only got a couple of days to save them if they stop eating), who gave her Critical Care, and the bun was fine in just a couple of hours. Wish you good health. Some examples of probiotic foods are yogurt, sauerkraut, and kimchi. Lastly, youll need to administer antibiotics for the rabbit to ensure that no infection sets up. home remedy for rabbit fungus. Manohar V; Ingram C; Gray J; Talpur NA; Echard BW; Bagchi D; Preuss HG; Antifungal activities of origanum oil against Candida albicans. You are most welcome. Hydrogen Peroxide helps to cure Athletes Foot. I did this twice a day. Im afraid? Make sure you're taking your bunny to a vet who sees a lot of rabbits. - Christina. To treat the cortisone-like, anti-inflammatory properties, It recommended using licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra). Published 2014. Mix a few drops with any carrier oil and dab on the affected area. Another great source of rabbit health information is the archives at http://www.rabbit.org That's the website for The House Rabbit Society, a nonprofit dedicated to informing owners about proper bunny care. Buy the freshest hay possible and check for the presence of mold or dust, which could make your rabbit sick. Research suggests that grapefruit seed solutions show antifungal properties against fungal films, such as those of candida, and may also help prevent the recurrence of infection. Sort by Default New Loved Belly Massage for Rabbits 2 User Reviews Those who eat garlic regularly are less susceptible to fungal infections. One study showed that garlic is as efficient as clotrimazole creams for the treatment of fungal infections. Eucalyptus is great for repelling fleas. Jessi from Fairfield, IA, Your advice saved my rabbit! Pumpkin can be fed the same way if your bunny has wool block. Published 2014. Moghadamtousi SZ, Kadir HA, Hassandarvish P, Tajik H, Abubakar S, Zandi K. A review on antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal activity of curcumin. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC538912/. 3. This is one of the easiest home remedies for fungal infection as turmeric is present in all Indian kitchens across households. Get your house checked for mold growth, especially in the bathrooms, if required. Garlic is a common kitchen ingredient that has several medicinal properties, including antimicrobial effects. An over the counter product campho-phenique often works with only 1 application. All sorts of tips on how to make your rabbit a successful house bunny are available on www.rabbit.org, the website of the nonprofit organization called House Rabbit Society. 2, I diluted apple cider vinegar with water and left it on her for 15 mins, 3. Girardot M; Guerineau A; Boudesocque L; Costa D; Bazinet L; Enguehard-Gueiffier C; Imbert C; Promising results of cranberry in the prevention of oral Candida biofilms. Tea tree oil has potent antimicrobial properties that can help ward off fungal infections. I get my Critical Care from my vet but you can probably get it online or at your pet food store, especially if you ask for it. Jo adds that "You can also freeze the food in batches of a week's worth to keep mites to a minimum.". Bladder infections are quite a common malady in the rabbits and often related to an immune-system imbalance. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27450704/. antibacterial. Croton tiglium D6 - treatment acute and chronic diarrea, upset stomach, gas, Veratum album D12 - treatment, sudden collapse, painful cramping followed by great weakness and exhaustion, diarrhea or constipation. Great tips especially the critical care :-) I was just wondering if you could change something? For my Rabbits I take 4 capsules of Echinacea to one gallon of water and boil cool and refrigerator each day i put 1/4 cup in there drinking bottle water fill with fillter water boost their immune function. But the most simple would be to get a syringe without a needle. I've started using diatamaceous earth, but it is very drying to their fur and doesn't seem to do anything very fast. Apple cider vinegar is mildly acidic and can be used orally and topically to treat foot fungal infections. Use over the skin three times a day. It is essential to wear loose, breathable fabrics such as cotton, which can prevent the buildup of sweat on your skin. It is vital to keep track of the infection while trying home remedies and note its response to them. This information also helped me a lot. No mites. I stopped using the NFZ Puffer and just flushed out the eye as I had been doing. I use flea free in there water it keeps fleas, flys, tick, mosqetios and other blood sucking hungery animals off them. Published 2013. Apply to the infected area for about thirty minutes. Erica from South Pasadena Ca Sept 20, 2012. Wear new clothes after you get back home or before bedtime. A lot of fungi that cause these infections are already becoming resistant to more aggressive forms of medications. Remove their pellets and give only grass and dark green veg. All the breeders out there know when their rabbits get injuried like a fly nests in their belly we all use bag balm. After approximately two weeks we did a biopsy. Moreover, add immune-boosting foods such as vitamin B12, copper, selenium, folate, iron, and vitamin B6 to your diet. Finally, adding, as a sprinkle atop the food, one or more of the herbs that have been used traditionally when treating arthritis: Yucca (Yuccaspp. ZH; I. Antimicrobial properties of honey. can cause fungal infections. Want to keep your skin smooth and healthy? Your veterinarian can provide an ear cleaner that is appropriate for your specific pet. AP; ODOOAADOAO. It helps with their coat and many other things. My 11-year-old miniature rex rabbit BreiiBreii has a bad eye infection, and has swelling near the eye. You can also consume cranberry juice as it contains antifungal properties. I think it may well have saved my bunnies life! Causes. Wash your skin with antiseptic soaps such as those containing neem. I adopted a young bun off someone who had locked her in a cage outside for days left on her own no food etc, it's been a month now and my dog is fine as long as I keep them separate at feeding times, I'm massively struggling with litter training and I keep her out from 8am till at least 11pm, do u use apple cider vinegar in their water?? The bottom of a rabbit food pyramid would contain long-stemmed ber, in the form of hay, which makes up 80 to 90 percent of a rabbit's diet. Even so, the transition time when youre trying to bond two rabbits together can be experimental and sometimes downright traumatizing for them. I like these tips for times like these where we need to be aware of what is occurring among us and how to treat certain ailments with these natural products. Also, adding 3 drops of vinegar to bunny's water - regular vinegar or acv? Its the best remedy for fungal infection, ringworm, all type of skin problems. Tea tree oil is naturally antifungal and antibacterial. He's a mini-lop, blonde and about 7. BTW - lavender has natural antibiotic properties. To do so, mix a drop of the seed extract with a few drops of water and apply to the affected spot(s) twice a day. Mota AC; de Castro RD; de Arajo Oliveira J; de Oliveira Lima E; Antifungal Activity of Apple Cider Vinegar on Candida Species Involved in Denture Stomatitis. I've been raising rabbits for meat for my family. Wear clean, dry socks every day. He is currently on Baytril (antibiotic), Metacam, and buprenorphine. My vets protocol was X-rays, blood tests, & weighing my rabbit. It is recommended for mixing calming herbs into their diets during the bonding phase. It's actually much like hairballs in cats, only since bunnies can't vomit, the fur can get stuck inside their gut and actually kill them. MY bad - you DID state it was ear mites in your title line, and my eyes just didn't pick it up! If bunnys bloated tummy doesn't feel softer and they don't perk up and start eating and pooping they probably need the fluids, pain and gut motility drugs. Hi Jagdish Coconut oil is primarily composed of medium-chain fatty acids that have antifungal activity. You are most welcome. Believe me, this stuff is AMAZING. (2). Around the end of Sept. 2012 he went to the vet for neutering surgery. 2023 Earth Clinic LLC. It is perfectly fine to discard a syringe in the trash; the syringe is the plastic unit commonly used with hypodermic needles. With Regards- Anupriya Rai. They will live under your rabbits skin and release a poison that will kill your rabbit. Pet rabbits can be afflicted with a variety of diseases and health conditions, many of which can be safely addressed with natural home remedies. Since fungi can easily infect people with a weak immune system, it is suggested to consume a probiotic, antioxidant, and mineral-rich diet. Wash the affected area at least 2 to 3 times a day, Keep the affected area as dry as possible. I am not sure if you can put it directly on the rabbit, but you can sprinkle the oil outside. Mix sodium bicarbonate with water to form a paste, and apply it to the affected areas. That quest for knowledge continues to this day, as new and old remedies alike are explored. We were living in Japan at the time, I didn't speak the language, and couldn't find a vet in our area that was very "rabbit knowledgable". Do not share personal hygiene items such as clothes, brushes, and towels. However, no scientific evidence supports this claim. Glad you liked it, keep supporting and stay tuned for more such articles. Make sure your bun has unlimited access to water - a crock is ideal for most bunnies, as they can then drink all they want. Is there a natural remedy for him that I can give to help his ear infection or do you have anything there? Effective Home Remedies For Foot Fungus -. Dull mower blades tear off the tops of the grass leaves instead of cutting them. And make sure you get pure oil and not just the fragrance. Feed 2 stems. Hi I read your article after taking my bunny to the vets recently. I just love animals. Also I would consider allowing the animal to have a few snacks that it likes just be aware not to over do it because it could get in the habit to refuse to go back to not eating any normal grain and too much electrolytes (from water and favorite treats) can make it have diarrhea. Make it a habit to wash your hands thoroughly after interacting with a pet. The vet gave him intravenous fluids, pain meds, and did x-rays, and showed me how to syringe-feed him with critical care. He has been on four different antibiotics and I really don't like giving him antibiotics. This site provides content for informational purposes only. The NFZ caused a fungal infection in the rabbits eye. Often, some of these fungi, such as candida and yeast, may cause infections, especially if the skin is warm or moist. It thus prevents the infection from spreading. Flystrike happens when flies lay their eggs in moist areas of skin on a rabbit and this is a terrible disease that I hope you will be able to keep from your rabbits. Pleasebuy the plant form rather the capsule form. Pharmeasy pharmeasy take it easy pharmeasy, Camphor mixed with coconut oil. I have no idea about such things, but am hoping there is an effective plant that is not toxic to my bunny's internal health in case of ingestion by "licking", but can kill off aggressive fibrosarcoma cancer cells. Published January 2005. However his eye was not clearing up. Licorice is naturally bestowed with anti-inflammatory or anti-microbial properties and is therefore perfect to take care of fungal infections. Wish you a speedy recovery. You need to know when your rabbit is sick, so you can prepare to reach your vet as soon you find your rabbit pet get sick. Fill the jar with oil so that the oregano is saturated, and the oil level is about 1 inch or 2 centimeters above the level of the herb. Acupuncture and chiropractic methods are one of the solutions, but for home remedies, you might need these herbs along. You must also eat sweet potato and carrot for their vitamin A content; almonds, hazelnuts, and sunflower seeds for vitamin E; and seafood, nuts, and dairy product as a zinc source. Jessi, Could you tell me the name and the phone number or address for a Rabbit Vet in Fairfield or near our city. You should first consult a dermatologist to understand the cause of your problem and follow the treatment advised. I am hoping that instead, there is an alternative treatment that can slow/stop the growth of the rapidly enlarging tumor and keep him comfortable. Turmeric is a potent antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory spice. Applying raw honey to the affected region is the best solution as it is loaded with healing properties. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22991095/. home remedy for rabbit fungus - hillsboro, ohio newspaper classifieds - hillsboro, ohio newspaper classifieds - Keep the area dry and moisture-free. All of these remedies can be used along with the prescribed treatment to aid faster recovery. Discontinue use if side effects occur. You might consider giving your bun activated charcoal. Wash the affected area with neem soap and pat it dry. American journal of therapeutics. Carson CF, Hammer KA, Riley TV. 5 lbs. This will control the spread of infection. Try activated charcoal water in its eyes. It worked (comfortably, it appeared) within an hour of giving her some (1 stalk, freshly cut, with the seed heads attached). 1. They usually hide their problem so long that but he time it's noticeable you need vet help. Therefore, mix a few drops of tea tree oil in a carrier oil such as olive oil or coconut oil. Once you have your stock cleaned up you can introduce to the cleaned up barn and then start all over again with barn 2, and then again with barn 3. USD . Published 2007. Once youve cleared up an ongoing infection, to help prevent further occurrences, you might try a continuation of the echinacea and dandelion root combination, along with some cranberry treats several times a week. Fungi are commonplace organisms that can be found everywhere, even on human skin. Check for allergies to essential oils before using them. Tsutsumi-Arai C, Takakusaki K, Arai Y, et al. Please don't give your bunny cedar oil because it's poisonous to them just like using pine or cedar wood shaving for bedding is poisonous. Can ACV be used to clean rabbits? Love the animals, we are their voice. The article was very interesting and knowledgeable. Lack of appetite is another symptom. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is very famous for its amazing and powerful beauty effects as well as health effects. Bladder infections are quite a common malady in the rabbits and often related to an immune-system imbalance.