Every military strategist knows that maintaining the element of surprise is critical, particularly when resistance is expected. We can help. If you watch a John Wayne movie, hes got a belt that holds his britches up, and hes also got his gun belt. The day after the siege began, Kathy Fair, a reporter from the Houston Chronicle who appeared on Nightline with Ted Koppel, said that the ATF believed it had been "set up" by "at least one reporter." For one manhunt, we were on horseback for six and a half hours riding through some of the roughest terrain I had ever been on. He retired in 2001 and never used one. I think some of us felt that things were changing too damn much. 0000063581 00000 n Texas Rangers optioned 2B Nick Solak to Round Rock Express. I was sitting in the front row, and so the barrels of those .45s kept passing over my toes as he was pacing back and forth telling this story about capturing some bad guys out in a rural cabin somewhere. One day Charlie Moore came through town, and I stopped him for speeding. 0000107593 00000 n Last August, Johnston, who is now in private practice in Waco, sent a letter to Attorney General Reno warning her that some federal officials were not being forthright with her about Waco. The first thing Ill tell a suspect is Look, Im not here to judge you. A spokesman for former U.S. July 17, 2022. Divisions Texas Highway Patrol; Narcotics. And they didnt do that by being diplomatic. For his steadfast service as a Ranger, a CD is given The Frank Hamer Award. The material showed that federal authorities had lied about the type and number of munitions used during the siege. While not being one to say it about himself, he embod- BROOKS LONG: Youve got to be a jack-of-all-trades out here in the rural areas. I personally know one who retired over that issue. There was a lot of publicity and TV cameras there for a while, and I was glad when it died down. So if something happens here in Kerrville, and I need help from Lubbock, I just pick up the phone. They dont pay me for what I can do, they pay me for what I know. After he smokes it, have the jailer pick that cigarette butt up. The rest is history. ", It's Sarabyn and Chojnacki's willingness to, in the Treasury report's own words, lie about the events of Feb. 28 that infuriates Peeler and Mulloney. Despite the evidence amassed against Luedke, federal officials are still refusing to answer any questions about the investigation. David Koresh, still holed up in his compound, was bleeding from gunshot wounds in his right wrist and left hip. He is stationed in Midland: Ive helped investigate close to three hundred homicides in my thirteen years as a Ranger. But he was still big in my mind. The ATF, said Rentz, wants to "contain the problem as much as they can. July 24, 2021. Eric Goodman's Austin FC column, other soccer news, All questions answered (satisfaction not guaranteed). How you document the chain of evidence, how you protect the crime sceneeverything has changed. After killing several men, he was shot down by Wichita Falls, Texas Police Chief on May 5, 1922. "I'm so goddam tired of that shit," he said, "I ain't gonna talk to you about that." Although Witherspoon has consistently refused to corroborate the source of his information, state and federal law enforcement officials involved in the investigation say they have evidence that Luedke leaked news about the raid to the media. . It was rudimentary compared with what we have todayit just searched fingerprints that HPD had in its filesand we didnt find anything. He is stationed in Eastland: I probably have more training hours than all the officers in a small, rural police or sheriff's office combined. Updated: October 28, 2011. SERGEANT KYLE DEAN became a Ranger in 1992. RAY MARTINEZ was a Ranger from 1973 to 1992. That's not even the tip of the iceberg of his impressive achievements. ", Representatives of the Davidians charge that the failure to prosecute or produce records on the Luedke investigation confirms their belief that the government is still hiding information. Now, we didnt survive because we were good at riding horses. 0000019380 00000 n LANE AKIN: By 1977 I had joined DPS, and I was a trooper over in Commerce. nfi"9?nm3}+ @))EG{ [ f Mt "e`HKib 20@+BliBPa @Fvxo `CT&0?L``4f~h"'`B'Xp{T.8XUp _5fb}!>rCWc 1)Jn Q : 0 t endstream endobj 121 0 obj <>>> endobj 122 0 obj <>/ExtGState<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC]/XObject<>>>/Rotate 0/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 612.0 792.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 123 0 obj <>stream He was with the Rockwall County sheriff, and of course I knew the sheriff because everybody in Rockwall knew the sheriff. Texas Purple Hull Pea Festival Is More Than an Event. Now, what exactly do you all do?, BROOKS LONG: The day I got the phone call from Austin that I was going to be made Ranger was a very proud day for me. Its when I go to an urban area that I attract attention. Support the free press, so we can support Austin. Even back then, I knew I wanted to be a Ranger. You cant hide from that. David M. & Nora(Adams)Maxwell TX. Director's Citation (DPS) - Arrest and Prosecution of "The Railroad Killer" Rafael Resendez; Director's Award (ATF)- David Koresh Investigation, Divisions "It's a story that I encourage you to do what ever you can on," he said. I couldnt understand it, because I had been fair to him and treated him with respect. He told me, Ray, if you ever want to get confessions from people, you have to be patient and youve got to be their friend. There was one clich that people would always say to me, and that was Every Texas Ranger has Mexican bloodand then they would pause and addon the tips of his boots., SERGEANT RAY RAMON became a Ranger in 1995. I've known and worked with David Maxwell both in his capacity as a Texas Ranger and as the Director of the Attorney General's law enforcement for the past 25 years. I joined DPS, and I made it my goal to become a Texas Ranger. By 1972 the case was still unsolved, and so I decided to go into law enforcement. Most of us are daddies, so the first thought that comes to mind is you just want to put a boot on the guys neck. They werent as polished as the Rangers now, but they had common sense, and they knew how to get the job done. The bloodiest and most controversial clash in American law-enforcement history had begun. Thats why the Rangers were put here originallyto secure the border. We would earn their confidence and get them talking. I learned early on in my Ranger career that when you approach a crook youre about to interview and youre dressed like a Ranger, he immediately sits up and takes notice and, in most cases, shows you respect. GB jumps last 5 seasons Apr 2018 - Apr 2023. w. r. %. The ATF didn't do theirs. by Emma Platoff He is stationed in San Antonio: Our job is assisting local law enforcement agenciesparticularly smaller, rural agenciesthat dont have a lot of resources. CAPTAIN CLETE BUCKALOO became a Ranger in 1987. 0000002282 00000 n KENNY RAY: You know, in rural Texas, we dont really stick out. The Campaign to Sabotage Texass Public Schools. And its full of great reads, yall. They have taken my granddaughter under their wing, and gave me a feeling of belonging and support that I have so greatly needed. Youre a Ranger. KYLE DEAN: I dont carry the weapon that DPS issues us, which is the SIG Sauer P226. I told him that I would love one day to be a Ranger. Paxton has denied the allegations and called the whistleblowers rogue employees., Prior said Maxwell was fired for violating agency policies, including making employment decisions without consulting the human resources department that have resulted in allegations of discrimination.. Two more senior aides to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton have been fired weeks after top deputies accused him of criminal wrongdoing marking four such terminations in just a few weeks. He now works in corporate security in Dallas: I knew I wanted to be a Texas Ranger when I was ten years old. Waco, David Koresh, Branch Davidians, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, David Jones, Jim Peeler, Robert Rodriguez, Cal Luedke, Dan Mulloney, Tommy Witherspoon, Janet Reno, Mike McNamara, Parnell McNamara, David M. Maxwell, Stanley Rentz, Jack Harwell, Dicky Grigg, K, Information is power. Last year, James B. Francis Jr., chairman of the Texas Department of Public Safety, which oversees the Rangers, called the DOJ's stance on the Davidian matter "in effect, a cover-up. 0000008592 00000 n Maxwell trained regularly with Rangers' first-team squad under previous gaffer Steven Gerrard between his loan stints at Palmerston and Somerset. I asked another Ranger, Calvin Cox, to use his connections at the jail. Now, we pay for them, of course; its not a perk or anything. SERGEANT MATT CAWTHON became a Ranger in 1992. View David Maxwell's profile on LinkedIn, the world's largest professional community. FRANK MALINAK: In years past, Rangers were famous for few words and even fewer reports. https://www.buymeacoffee.com/LindseyOlson Follow me on Instagram: @lindzouzou Check out my Flickr: Lindsey OlsonEmail me (business enquiries only) zouzoulry@gmail.comDISCLAIMER: the stories and theories shared in this video are from information I have researched and collated together for entertainment purposes. If real news is important to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or whatever you can afford, to help keep our journalism on stands. Ghislaine Maxwell was handcuffed and slung into solitary confinement for 48 hours after prison authorities accused her of profiting from a media interview, DailyMail.com can reveal.. Maxwell, 61 . 15/09/15 06:32. The production of that evidence, and its analysis by the Texas Rangers, led Reno to last year reopen the investigation into Waco. Up Next "Tommy told me it was Cal. They are still the lead agency, and we are there to assist them. Well, we wear the same thing, just like Rangers before us did. He gave the. Mike Cox, a spokesman for the DPS, which oversees the Rangers, also refused to comment. She is stationed in San Antonio: People are always saying, Youre a Rangerwow! "There were no roadblocks when we got there," said Mulloney. So it quickly found a scapegoat. I remember he was wearing not one but two Colt .45s with ivory grips decorated with small, gold Longhorns. But way, way back, there were some brutal things that happened. He died in the fire that consumed Mount Carmel 51 days later. Daniel Vaughn is the countrys first barbecue editor, and he has eaten more barbecue than you have. I dont want to say the older generation looks down on us, but they kind of kid us now: You cant do your job without a computer and a cell phone.. He has gone out of his way to assist my rural Central Texas County in some complicated prosecutions. What you do when you sit down to talk to someone like that is you just decide that youre going to be an advocate for that little girl. There was lots of traffic on the road.". DNA testing showed that only Leonard Self could have left the semen at the scene of the crime. SERGEANT DAVID HULLUM became a Ranger in 1998. Several efforts to interview David Maxwell, the Ranger who interviewed Luedke, were referred to his commander in Austin, who refused comment. Then Charlie Miller stood there with those pliers, and he pulled out three teeth, one by one. Cameron Willis. Go in there full, and them hungry. He's in the final year of a two-year deal with a $2.05 million cap hit with the Sharks. I just want to know who killed Diane. So it was a good feeling that both my parents lived to see that day. SERGEANT CHANCE COLLINS became a Ranger in 2002. Change hasnt always come easy for the Rangers, whether its evolving technology or allowing women into their ranks. David Maxwell is a Director of the Riverview Group, an associate company of the family-owners Corkhill Brothers.<br>David has accumulated 40 years of experience in real estate, property syndication, project funding, and major property developments since beginning his career with a residential real estate company, Woodger Corporation, here in the Canberra region.<br>David fulfilled the role of . A . He is now retired and lives in New Braunfels: When I first got to Laredo, some people let me know that they had not forgotten the problems that had existed with the Rangers. However, Calvin got over his fear of driving when he saves the team at the end of the episode. At 57, I wasnt getting out the door as fast when I was being called out at two or three oclock in the morning. He married Rhonda L. (Harlien) Maxwell on May 17, 1974 in Liberty County, Texas and they later separated on April 17, 1986 in Harris County. Menu. Ian Prior, a political spokesman for Paxton, confirmed the moves Monday. Because to me, I had just made Ranger like all these other guys. They expect him to solve all ten cases. Personally, I love it. David Eugene Maxwell, 50. And Witherspoon's source, Mulloney said, was Luedke. Penley has been with the attorney generals office since 2019. I told the sheriff, Heck, I dont know about putting this guy in jail. . He looked at me and said, I thought youd found him! And I said, I just did., RAY RAMON: I remember Oscar Rivera, another Ranger, gave me some good advice. He ripped most of her clothes off and tried to beat her to death. Confronted outside his home in March, Luedke denied tipping the media. Dad, while you watch from heaven, just know that your legacy of gratitude continues. Attorney General Ken Paxton spoke at a 2016 press conference in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. I never heard him raise his voice. But even more disturbing would be discovering 545 orphaned immigrant children sobbing in their basement and the graves of the more than 230,000 coronavirus victims buried in their backyard.