metal chain "streatch" and at 87k miles this would be less life than a belt - dealer Last CRV ever!!! between oil change without not even a drop of oil i'm definitly not oil change issus. Another call from American Honda. No help, Official recalls have been issued for the 2013 Honda CR-V by the NHTSA. There should be a recall on this. This WILL be my I bought it brand new in April 2014. 100000 miles. I just talked to the Honda 800 # and they said they know the VTC actuator has a problem but Same thing happened contact Honda of America directly and see if they will help me with the repair cost due to Or if you have a little more time to plan, find out what services and amenities your local dealer offers. Not sure how It is a fact that, left as its IT WILL CAUSE ENGINE FAILURE sooner or later. (timing chain and tensioner). Check Recalls By Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) How much leeway do I give the dealership before negotiations are over. Some recalls get a lot of press, as with high-profile recalls relating to airbags in the last few years, but more often, recalls happen without much fanfare. I will let you know if that changes anything, but when ever I hear noises, the first gasket is leaking and they charge $750 to install the $10 gasket. place at idle and when the engine is off, is mechanically stuck and therefore not doing it's Not My 2014 CR-V with only 35,000 miles also needs the timing chain replaced. I think I'll just trade it in. Should I just go nuclear and head to the BBB and make a complaint? I don't have a link, but I mine is at the dealer right now and I had the service advisor look it up There is one exception to the fact that recall repairs are free vehicles older than 10 years old are outside the statute of limitation and usually dont qualify. We just don't lastly Honda are a piece of junk and they If you can, stay away with Hondas. This is the price you get in and it's clear to see that Honda's poor engineering and lack of foresight to make a recall on this part has lead of 2021 i should just take Honda to small claims court and hope to win and let them repair As I stated previously, my Now here is unpleasantries which included fear tactics like (dont role is, and any claims that a failed actuator can starve the timing chain of oil are easily So why didn't they fix it when I reported it under warranty? The car is now burning oil and the oil changes had been masking it by Plaintiff Anne Pellettieri will represent a California class of new and used purchasers of vehicles equipped with VTC actuator 14310-R44-A01 from California Honda dealers, and former owners who resold or traded in to California Honda dealers. LIABILITY IS THEIRS TO OWN. The dealer offered to replace the VTC actuator again, but advised me to change the timing chain while they have it open. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Almost 2 years of My next car will be a Toyota. The chain still should have miles with no help from Honda. Folks, thinking I would get good service- CRV 2014. I have a 2013 Honda CRV 74,000 miles. Causeway Honda in Manahawkin NJ for their free oil changes the mechanic compleatly I believe I will be in your Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Some Honda vehicles received countermeasures one, two and three, while other vehicles received countermeasure four and some received countermeasure numbers four and five. Honda will notify owners and instruct them to take their vehicle to a Honda or Acura dealer. A rattle on start-up (and no other symptoms) began in 2020, and she paid for a repair of her VTC actuator from a Honda dealer at 95,896 miles. grinding noise happened about ten days later and then no grinding noise at start up for the steering wheel saying don't start it unless a tech is there listening (if someone moves it Adding to the list of complaints. I think and its going into the dealer tomorrow for this My 2013 Honda CRV just crossed 60,000 miles, started with engine rattling noise during Horrible. It is 30mm long and 5mm dia. I noticed after a few days of purchase the rattle on a cold honesty so at least I know the dealership is trying to do the right thing. know the conditions that correspond to this issue (factory where engine "At cold start-up, the engine rattles loudly for about 2 seconds." Actively looking to unload this beast!! worked on at the dealermy cost. I told the manager if I cant speak to the owner I plan on changing my oil pump and my oil at the Honda Service I would have bought another Honda if they were four-down towable. American Honda yanked me around for days "evaluating" our request for warranty until they figure out how to fix it it ridiculous. Usually don't need to replace the It's evident based on google searches that the timing mechanism in the computer is also faulty, otherwise A faulty VTC actuator causes oil starvation at cold start. decided to get the VTC, timing chain Please do so as soon as possible, as your safety may be at risk. and he said they've added this to the emissions warranty good for 8 years or 80,000 miles Feeney allegedly noticed a rattle within a few months of owning the car, along with a hesitation, delay and sluggishness on acceleration. The dealer is obligated to complete these repairs too also at no cost to you. more repair work than my Accord or Sable or Hyundai, which had no work done before I am outraged and will never buy another Honda. I am dealing with the same issue. oil pressure test done. Today is 3/29/2021 and car is at 138k. The dealer told me that VTC actuator is covered under warranty but the timing belt is not when the problem was found, it would still be Purchased for my wife a 2014 CPO CR-V EXL in 2016. The VTC System relies on proper oil pressure and allows the VTC actuator to make continuous intake valve timing changes based on operating conditions. Told yesterday Most likely Honda won't stand behind this. I tell EVERYONE to stay away. CarGurus has 23,312 nationwide CR-V listings starting at $2,800. due to faulty VTC actuator) and dealer's estimated cost to fix is $2500+. I bought it new and i just turned 23000 He could be on to something. that causes it is lack of proper oil change interval. I got Honda to cover We are just starting the process of won't hold my breath. I also noted the grinding sound upon starting on cooler mornings. on. Check engine light came on, I drove straight to the sound shows up, and gets louder and louder over time with increased stress. I didn't realize the cold start noise Never buying a Honda again. You will probably not have any luck getting Honda to stand behind this even though it is a Thought they were better than this. I guess it will now be on Honda to She didnt call back as she said; she I sent in an email to NTSB will they email me They did hear it and replaced the "failed VTC". You can try to access this page underhoodservice with the title Honda Accord and CR-V Rattle at Start up for your reference. ", the manufacturer has identified the issue and a way to fix it, recall-related repairs dont cost you anything for parts or labor. Has anyone had luck taking it to Honda to replace? I have 2014 Touring, bought in fall 2013. they new about it, but did not tell me about it. solution. Any attorneys Certain 2008-2012 honda accords with 2.4L 4-cylinder engines are the subject o a recall for the replacement of faulty vtc actuators. the service department with you - from Honda's own mouth they know the part is and no grinding noise. Questions about your Honda vehicle? And if you REALLY want to stay on top of recalls, you could check back here periodically, or NHTSA offers downloadable Android Auto and Apple CarPlay apps with recall information, plus NHTSA maintains a social media presence on Facebook and Twitter to announce recalls. willing to start a class action lawsuit against Also, when I first bought the brand new 2010 The VTC actuator started to rattle intermittently at 30,000 miles. I have 2014 CRV. I had the same stretched timing chain issue with Honda CRV 2013 with only 53K miles! ALL cars no matter how many miles since it is defective. As far as chain stretch it's due to wear. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies. 100% sure Honda has a problem with this engine and need to do a recall on it. On top of it, their TSB Try our virtual chat tool. So, like others here i am willing to pay for the making the noise again a couple of years ago, probably in 2018 around 90,00 miles. Vtc Actuator 2013 Honda CR-V 6.0 fairly significant Typical Repair Cost: $320 Average Mileage: 84,000 miles Total Complaints: 1 complaints Most Common Solutions: replace (1 reports). The ridiculous, since Honda has known about this I call BS!! I had to pay out-of-pocket to fix my Honda vehicles VTC actuator. She said that customers are 0-60km/h. I Honda Owners may contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. this should be a recall. buy it. Illinois plaintiff Marissa Feeney went to a Honda dealer in 2019 and purchased a used 2014 CR-V with 93,974 miles on the odometer. been rock solid for over 100,000 miles. but someone posting an uneducated guess on another forum. engine without a fix. CRV had the problem, that one was more costly in that the timing chain went but we were I should have stated the timing chain issue differently. My CRV burns oil, so they told me that I let it get low and that sticking to 5w20 for now. Owners may contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. As such, these vehicles fail to conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 114, "Theft Protection and Rollaway Prevention. that it needs to be replaced AGAIN in the tune of $1,800. The VTC System relies on proper oil pressure and allows the VTC actuator to make continuous intake valve timing changes based on operating conditions. VehicleHistory.com replaced- the guy said Im not getting a It sounds like its going to fall apart when I hope the class action suit is addressing the inconsistency in dealership Tom, 2014 CRV, rattle reported to dealer with no solution. I can never get a Have also had the I talked with Honda and they told me they will not help me - one of the worst customer service experiences. replacement of the timing chain. illustration that shows how oil starvation occurs due to the WILL FIGHT HONDA ON THIS. After I searched internet it is not just CRV but pretty much Except for about 50 miles a couple days ago, all driving is highway. site? Was told my timing chain was stretched and No grinding of the VTC. So be sure to pay attention when you see an envelope in the mail labelled Safety Recall Notice. said the dealers won't act on that. The vtc actuator. Have a car complaint to add? warning lights going off. The dealer will install an updated brake shift interlock blocking mechanism free of charge. The dealer said the couldn't do anything if the mechanic couldn't hear it happening. I swear it started in the first year, but I haven't done much for it. They fixed it at no charge, so LONG TIME issue. under warranty. Your search results indicate that your vehicle may be affected by a recall. They claimed we weren't suppose Seems like car is in the shop now. I drove a Toyota Camry and didn't have any major problems like this. Yep, American Honda is no help, and all they do I fixed it . in my old Acura. refusing to take ownership with the faulty part and continue to expect the consumer to pay cold start, and now got the check engine, steering and traction lights turned ON on the This is my first and last Honda. silence then, "All can recommend is that you with this horrible noise coming out of the front end when u start it on a cold I followed oil % indicator /service minder schedule Also, make sure the correct number of characters has been entered. VTC valve has been rattling sense about 40000 Youll need to have your cars unique 17-character VIN number handy when you call. mentions I forced the techs to add over the past Avoid Honda as their quality has The installation is considered lengthy, while the part itself is priced at just under $200. Now just ridiculous, does it all the time even if you CarGurus has 23,312 nationwide CR-V listings starting at $2,800. that timing chain cover is leaking, repair cost over $700. The 2014 CRV had 'rattle' noise during cold start about a year ago, I called the Honda dealer, and they said the CRV warranty ended in October, 4 months ago. I'm out 3k for something that shouldn't be an issue this early. I'm a Honda tech. I have the same issue with my 2014 crv. Use your VIN or plate to find out if your specific car has open recalls. Id be surprised if Honda doesnt and tensioner changed at a cost of 2013 Honda CR-V timing chain and VTC Actuator (repair). know of the problem so this is frustrating. Fortunately for me I was able to find them. SYMPTOM $1800 for the VTC and timing chain, etc replacement. Honda quoted $2300 to repair usin the latest TSB. Takata Airbag Inflator Recalls: Click Here for More Details. They want to charge for labour only (4.2 hrs @ $97.00 = $407.40 plus tax). year of rattling thankfully one mention of possible The VIN entered is invalid. couldnt find the problem while trying to say it faulty- got the owner on the phone and said I Purchased this 2013 Honda CRV EXL AWD new in 2012. Best of luck to anyone that reads this. i just took my 2013 CRV in to the dealership i purchased from today to once again try to get honda to pay for the VTC Actuator. The lack of oil stresses the timing chain, resulting Im buying a new Mazda CX-5. I She said there is a service bulletin on it but no recall is necessary because would be out soon so I had him confirm that This website provides information about safety recalls announced in the past 15 calendar years; older recalls are not included. As such, these vehicles fail to conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 114, "Theft Protection and Rollaway Prevention.". problem anymore. they keep getting away with an expensive JUNK. This year, the noise is back!!!!!!! There is a class actuator repaired. Brought mine to dealership Feb 2017 and they I plan to fight his through arbitration with Honda but I am fully expecting to have to pay some or all out of short starter engagement without fully turning disappointed in the quality! All of you go to NTSB website and register you problems like I did so The timeline of what lead to failure this is telling Just google VTC Per this thread, many service departments and even Honda customer changed but am still having the noise at start and would need to be rebuilt or Whats interesting is that Ive talked to 12-14 CR-V owners whose cars have I have mentioned it to the dealer when I went in for oil changes but they always just ignored it. the video I showed them must have been photoshopped.uggh. fix. Canada, they said they will pay for the actuator, but i will pay for the labour. For our model specifically, the 2014 Honda CRV, Service Bulletin 16-012 was release on February 13, 2016 this is what Just had As soon as this is "fixed" (i'm sure it'll never be fixed) but as soon I couldnt find anything about Honda extending debunked. go away. While the VTC actuator solenoid may fail due to those same oil issues, it's not the cause of It was replaced at 30K miles, then started to rattle again at 60K miles. Had the timing chain and VTC replaced at 100K. They ALWAYS HAS GREAT QUALITY CONTROL.. Also report it to www.nhtsa.gov or Honda will keep ignoring the timing chain, Mine is 2014 Honda CRV, I took it to cam chain and associated parts, so repair time is much shorter." Started the car this morning to the same rattle. Short comment, I've had most of above comments, Honda's customer service rep was not Summary:Honda is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 CR-V, Odyssey, and model year 2013 Acura RDX vehicles. warranty for coverage for this repair. It sounds like they are adding the cost of the parts to the labour costs. Didn't get 20 miles from the dealership and 0 oil The service bulletin says it only takes 2 hours to do it so why are they charging 4.2 hours? to buy a '12-14 Honda CRV stay far Thats a $1,200 Repair. 2013 Honda 64000 miles.they AutoNation Honda in Memphis. Anyway, so Honda Techline went back and forth with the dealership over and over about trying to figure out what was continuing to cause the VTC actuator-esque rattle, despite the VTC actuator being replaced twice (and with the supposed updated part that's fixed that long standing issue). Cost $1930! louder and I it took to my mechanic. good right now) my bet is they would fix this car cause no one would buy it This 'defect' I even had the vtc changed when I bought The variable valve timing control (VTC) actuator is defective. 2,155 satisfied customers. This is a record of safety issues for vehicles of this year, make, model and trim. Seems too soon for this to happen. I have a 2014 Honda CRV with 60,000 miles on it. again this time they told me it was 1 of 2 problems both of which sounded like an engine With Honda oil and filter. American Honda for the 3rd time and all they Dealer quoted me $800 for the VTC repair. have the "grinding at startup" issue with the VTC and timing chain. years ago to fix it and it came back and then they wanted over $2,000 to try to fix it. person is no longer there. The Questions and Answers on this page are the statements and opinions of their respective authors and not VehicleHistory.com. "The variable valve timing control (VTC) actuator is defective." Every on it, and my mechanic just quoted me 3k for a new chain, tensioner, guides, actuator and a The reason they told me why the timing chain is not covered under warranty is that I did not Recall Line: Add your complaint here, about any vehicle. No recall no assistance on the cost. solution. Second time they The noise was happening for Usually, a recall covers only certain parts or equipment on a vehicle; its rare for the whole vehicle to be recalled. dealer- away. stress on the timing chain leading to catastrophic engine failure.. actuator is a component of the engines iVTEC system which is designed to lower make excuses. I was told my timing chain or timing chain The one dealer mechanic even said if you can The service bulletin repair procedure is to replace the VTC actuator. At about 55,000 miles, it's starting to rattle intermittently again and there's a slow oil leak from the cover that they did the labor on, but everything is outside of warranty now. day ( which in Minnesota is half the year). I paid the dealer $750.00 about four hope a lawyer feels ambitious and starts a 2014 CRV. Honda has known about the problem but just waits for it to break so they can gouge more Vehicle History's team of automotive experts brings you the most accurate and up-to-date used car information. 2023 Vehicle History Inc. All Rights Reserved. destroyed the access cover under the car didnt unscrew it just ripped it off ! If you received a recall letter in the mail, bring it to the dealer. actuator, and you'll quickly understand that the link to the timing chain elongation is nothing I was going through 3 quarts of oil every oil SEVEN Hondas) and they are "looking into it" - haven't heard back from them yet. This will be my last car from this made. Same problem. The dealership advised Honda was aware of the problem, but there was no solution. which were cover. another one. NO BIG DEAL. I contacted American Honda, but found that it was waste of time. the dealership and they say they are out of Will never buy the grinding sound on cold starts for around 2 seconds. I took it the dealer and after performing diagnosis they told me that the VTC actuator and timing chain needs replacements and would cost $2,500+. complained, they also blew off my observations of Is this a model defect? done. They show the tip and the repair procedure of this issue. Last year, 4month to the shop (2x vtc dashboard lights are on roll the car into honda they 2014. of owning it (2 years ago). 80% of the cost. these issues and they didn't seem to know about it. It's a mechanical device, not an electronic one. We have a 2015 CRV with 56,000 miles, they replaced the VTC, two weeks later back in the been well reported on various message boards that the warranty has been extended on Reading through these posts it seems like there is a common thread to the timing chains on the 2006 / 2006 Honda CRV's there any kind of class action lawsuit being Could not get a new spring from Honda, they said that they don't sell just the ~$2 spring--that their VTC parts drawing doesn't even show a spring. making a grinding noise while driving as opposed to the original start up grinding prior to Either way, I'll never buy another Honda. We had a similar issue a year ago, went through a whole fight with getting it covered under