Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. When assembling material for creating this transition, make sure that you use the Kerdi band. Honestly, most pros leave this out. Apply a corresponding piece of ceramic tile with thin-set mortar in the resulting space flush with the surface of the KERDI-BOARD. Ensure that its fastened to the wall. 10-08-2018, 09:05 PM. Tile ontop of kerdi board, apply schluter edge. Panels from a thickness of 3/4" (19 mm) may be used for building shelving. Over-sanding is a common DIY mistake. I wonder if I can just slap some thinset on the corner and stick the vinyl corner bead to it? For paper tape or corner bead, first apply a thin layer of mud compound, then apply a folded strip of paper tape or corner bead, then cover the paper with a thin coat of mud. i also gotta say i love how you matched the veining on the tiles that sit in the corner, just between the top and middle shelf :) it looks continuous! Step 1: Cover the Seam Between Kerdi Board and Drywall Before you even create a seamless transition between these two materials, you must cover the seam. 5. Plus no sales tax. The secret is in applying just the right amount of wet mud. Moen Caldwell Brushed Nickel Metal Bath Accessory Set. It also creates a smoother finish while allowing you to tape over the drywall and Kerdi board transition. Glass tiles are unique products and may require special consideration. What's the difference between Sheetrock and drywall? The sanding dust, while not toxic, can irritate lungs and eyes, so it's important to wear a dust mask and eye protection while sanding. How to join seams between hardiebacker and drywall in a corner? You will be concealing an entry point for moisture and water. I hope you made the guy flood test his work prior to tiling the shower floor. @thisisnotadrill could you post that picture please. Kit includes: 8-1/2 in. I am just not sure how to build this. The Schluter-Shower System is an integrated family of products that together form a fully bonded, watertight assembly for tiled showers How to install Schluter-KERDI-BOARD-SN Niche with KERDI Membrane, Schluter-KERDI-BOARD: Product Overview: Panels, Profiles & Accessories, Schluter-KERDI-BOARD: Partition/Knee Walls, Schluter-KERDI-BOARD: Mixed/Existing Substrates, Schluter-KERDI-BOARD: Pipe & Column Coverings, Schluter-KERDI-BOARD: Countertop with Tiled-Under Sink, Scott McGillivray on Waterproofing Principles using Schluter-Systems, Schluter-KERDI-BOARD over Solid Backing for Ceilings, Schluter-KERDI-BOARD over Framing for Ceilings, Schluter-KERDI-BOARD-SN Shower Niche within KERDI-BOARD Assembly, How to Waterproof Connections to Fixed Building Elements, Shower in a Few Hours with Schluter-KERDI-BOARD. Then put in the edge profile, put painters tape over it, and fill the exposed kerdi wall end and that crack with mud/compound and paint. It is designed to fill in the major gaps. There's maybe a 1/4" of painted wall that rounds the corner before it meets up with the schluter edge. Let the compound dry overnight, or longer if necessary. 4. Since the wall wasn't perfectly straight, and the profiles have a little bit of give to them, I actually used a couple small nails to maintain a perfect edge along the kerdi board and used mortar to 'glue' it in place and let it cure. "thanks in advance :-) I know so little about this stuff, but when I watch videos (made by schluter-kerdi) everything looks so tidy and perfect - maybe that's not realistic'''" - Lisa Jasper It should look better than that and it's hard to tell but the wall stud spacing looks extreme and more than 16" I could not see if the screw heads where covered in the photos and in the one picture you can see that the screw and washer fitting where not covered. The walls were easier because I had tile wrapping around the corner so I just taped and thinset those and tiled overtop. 1. Insert the niche and fasten to the studs using wood or metal screws, placing the fasteners approximately 1/4" (6 mm) from the edges of the niche. But wouldn't you want a corner bead there to protect that corner? This seam must be covered. Fastener locations must coincide with mortar spots. Do I need to start over or can I simply repair the hole? If the transition features Kerdi board slightly overlapping drywall, it wont be level. There will also be Rondec on the outside corner where tile top meets the drywall side. There are two methods to seal KERDI-BOARD to a bathtub. There's maybe a 1/4" of painted wall that rounds the corner before it meets up with the schluter edge. I can only provide advice according to TCNA standards. Apply the membrane over the wall and embed into the mortar throughout its entire surface to ensure proper adhesion. Schluter-Systems requires the use of Schluter SET , ALL-SET , FAST-SET, or an unmodified thin-set mortar meeting Can I use a premixed thin-set mortar to install Schluter-KERDI and tile in my shower? There are two methods to seal KERDI to a bathtub. Wet sanders are popular among DIYers, since they eliminate sanding dust. Before you even create a seamless transition between these two materials, you must cover the seam. Keep the band approx. Cut KERDI to size prior to application. Houzz Tour: Modern Farmhouse Style on a Minnesota Lake, My Houzz: Fresh and Modern Surf Style in South Carolina, My Houzz: Calm, Crisp Neutrals in a Renovated 1887 Chicago House. Work the KERDI into the mortar by applying pressure to the membrane with the flat side of the trowel (held at an angle) in smooth, diagonal sweeps. About this item Schluter KERDI-KERECK-F - 4 mil Thickness - Outside Waterproofing Corner - Qty: 2 Larry.. Got back onto it in Sept. The Kerdi band is the preferred tape in this scenario because it is waterproof. I made sure to keep the tile side completely clear of mortar. Did you use a cornerbead or did you just place the profile at the very edge of the Kerdiboard and then fill the drywall side with mud? Hopefully photos will help explain. The corresponding QUADEC or RONDEC profiles are installed with Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar in conjunction with the tile. Tape up the wall to get an idea of how it will look before you buy all the material. Your last post has me a little concerned about moisture traveling from the top of the pony wall, down the outside, which would obviously be very bad. Can you take a picture? Continuing Education for Architects & Designers. Regarding the corner bead, you can use one from any company. When framing a KERDI-BOARD-SN shower niche you will need to use the 90 How long do I have to wait before I can install tile on Schluter-KERDI-BOARD? Any suggestions? Thanks for contributing an answer to Home Improvement Stack Exchange! California Specification 01350 is referenced by various green building standards and rating systems. The best place to do that would be on the Kerdi Board. Sep 10, 2017 Generally your finish tile, whether bull nose or Kerdi strip will overlap onto the sheetrock, forming a seam of its own. You can see it in the second two photos the most clearly. Smooth the surface and feather the edges as best as you can by pressing it down with a drywall knife. The tiles can be installed immediately using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. Choose a notched trowel to match the tile format, and back-butter the tiles, if necessary, to attain full coverage. I ended up thin setting corner bead and then making it pretty with joint compound. Is there a solution to add special characters from software and how to do it, Styling contours by colour and by line thickness in QGIS. Taping compound is the mud used for the main application of tape to the seams and corners, and for the second coat. With suitable preparation of the abutting seams and joint areas, the panel may be used for bonded waterproofing assemblies. With a 6-inch taping knife, apply a smooth, thin layer of mud over the joint. 3. Drywall tape is available in two types: paperand fiberglass mesh. I'm 95% done though. I just need to install the vanity, do some caulking and it's done. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Countertops made of KERDI-BOARD Minimum board thickness = 1-1/2" (38 mm) 1. All shower/tub areas should have concrete board (I prefer hardiboard). The larger niche sizes include a KERDI-BOARD shelf that can be installed at any height to create separate compartments within the niche. Hey thanks for asking! The shower niche features a 1/2" (12.5 mm) -thick by 2" (50 mm) -wide integrated bonding flange and is available in 12" x 6" (30 x 15 cm), 12" x 12" (30 x 30 cm), 12" x 20" (30 x 51 cm), and 12" x 28" (30 x 71 cm) sizes. Moen Lindor Brushed Nickel Wall Mount Single Towel Ring. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Here's a pic of the kerdi shower. Thanks! How did you end up handling the outside corner? The thin-set mortar used for bonding KERDI must be appropriate for the substrate, and it must penetrate and engage the KERDI fleece. "..2) the kerdi band isn't stuck flat -- the edges in some spots are wavy. Such partition walls are not to be considered load-bearing structural walls. What can a lawyer do if the client wants him to be acquitted of everything despite serious evidence? Cut a length of tape to the exact length of the joint, and press it over the joint, making sure there are no bumps or ripples. 2. Schluter KERDI Outside Corner - 2 Units. I would top it out at the height of the pony wall. That's complicating an outer corner transition to drywall that covers the outside of a wall between the shower stall and tub on the other side. KERDI features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-woven polypropylene on both sides to anchor the membrane in the thin-set mortar. Purple is the best option to use if your drywall is going to be in contact with water. Houzz Call: Have a Beautiful Small Bathroom? Claire Larece That section of the house is a project for another time. What's frustrating is I've watched no less than 20 videos on curbless shower and not once have I heard the term capillary break been brought up. But it wont be structurally strong. It does not need to be applied over the entire surface. KERDI-BOARD not for use in exterior applications. 7. Some care is necessary to ensure crisp, sharp corners. These will be obstructions to smooth taping and mudding. For finishing inside corners, consider using prefabricated corner bead. But it generally has to be installed under tile. Butthey extended the cold water line to the toilet so I need to do some rerouting of that water line down below the subfloor and then back up to the original supply location. 1/4" in from the outside edge. Schluter-KERDI-BOARD over wood or metal framing. 2. Mutually exclusive execution using std::atomic? Whether you are building or renovating a shower, you are obviously working with a budget. It's been a 'long term' project after all. Great work, I hope you're proud of it! Recovering from a blunder I made while emailing a professor. I will have a shower wall of kerdi board coming out and making an outside corner with drywall. Manage Settings Depending on which type of purple drywall you choose, a 4- by 8-foot panel typically costs between $15 and $60 (high-impact and sound-breaking options are available). Fasteners are installed after the thin-set mortar has hardened.Note: See section Waterproofing on the use of KERDI-BOARD in bonded waterproofing assemblies. So it appears I can use a schluter product as you mentioned or perhaps a bead of silicone in that break? It looks like you have Kerdi installed on the floor and not Kerdi Board. I did this before putting the last row of tile up which made it pretty simple. What I'm specifically asking for in this case is how to finish the top outside corner where drywall meets CBU (the area where there isn't any tile). I have one tricky spot I'm not sure how to handle it. Hey folks, bathroom reno coming up soon. ".1) is is okay to use kerdi board instead of ditra on the floor? Cement Board versus Mold Resistant Drywall at Top of Bath Tub/Shower Surround. It consists of stopping What is the proper thin-set mortar consistency for installation of Schluter-KERDI/-KERDI-DS? With the available panel thicknesses of 3/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2", and 2" (5, 9, 12.5, 15, 19, 25, 38, and 50 mm), KERDI-BOARD allows the installer to prepare and create a broad range of substrates and building elements for the installation of ceramic and natural stone tile that are flat, level, plumb, square, and dimensionally stable. The shower ceiling is hardibacker and the wall outside the shower is drywall. But putting large tiles up made me very grateful I spent the extra time and effort to make the walls plumb and square. Fab Glass and Mirror Round Lighted LED Bathroom Mirror 39-in . I am all ears though. I need to finish the outside corner above the shower alcove. Topping compound is used for the third finish layer of mud, a skim coat over the seams, and fastener holes.It is designed to create the final smooth coat, but it won't adhere the tape to the drywall panels in the same way that taping . Press KERDI fully into the bond coat. x 38 in. 2. I do love the schluter corner shelves. Normally I would have put in a metal corner trim but needs to go behind the tile. For many builders, it can be confusing how you can transition between these two materials. How do I perform one on the Schluter-Shower System? The walls were easier because I had tile wrapping around the corner so I just taped and thinset those and tiled overtop. You can run the final row of tile over the joint between the Denshield and of the drywall. We Want to See It! Countertop edges may be finished with the KERDI-BOARD-ZC brushed stainless steel U-profile and corresponding Schluter-QUADEC or Schluter-RONDEC, RONDEC-CT, or RONDEC-STEP profiles. So far you've dealt with I joists and wet shimming. Insert the niche and fasten to the studs using wood or metal screws and KERDI-BOARD-ZT washers, placing the fasteners along the seam between the KERDI-BOARD and the niche. 2. I would fear leaks in all corners of this shower. The bond strength will increase over the first week and month after installation Can ceramic tile, including porcelain tile, be set on Schluter-KERDI with latex-modified thin-set mortar? Continue with Recommended Cookies. We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. How do I connect Schluter-KERDI-BOARD to a bathtub? 2. Do "superinfinite" sets exist? It consists of an extruded polystyrene foam panel, with a special reinforcement material on both sides and fleece webbing for effective anchoring in thin-set mortar.KERDI-BOARD can be used in a multitude of interior applications. Remove all surface contaminants from the substrate that may weaken the bond.2. This very light finish coat will likely be dry within an hour or two. Holes can typically be repaired by installing a patch of KERDI or Schluter-KERDI-BAND with What is a water test? . There are inside corner beads that are mudded into interior corners, as well as outside corner beads that are applied to outside corners. Good work! Cut and remove the wallboard such that the niche will be supported on both sides by the studs or other wall framing. Do roots of these polynomials approach the negative of the Euler-Mascheroni constant? Do new devs get fired if they can't solve a certain bug? I imagine you do this all of the time, so hopefully you have a good solution? Part of the taping and mudding process includes sanding the dried compound (mud) to smooth the edges, For skilled professionals, sanding is minimal, but DIYers may find that sanding is surprisingly complicated and messy. The tiles can be installed immediately using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. You dont have to worry about leaks when you create such a setup. is the contractor creating a waterproof schluter-kerdi shower? The gridlines, which are printed on the surface, are helpful for neat and quick cuts and installation. Determine desired location and trace around the outside of the KERDI-BOARD-SN flange, making sure the lines are level and plumb. With the joints and corners all taped and mudded, apply a small amount of compound over each nail or screw head and smooth the surface. Clean the tools and put the lid back on the bucket of mud. I expect that you will install glass panels. What do you think? The pan area is recessed down to the joists which was no picnic with the engineered I joists. @thisisnotadrill That was one 24" tile I cut in half for that. Calculate your building panels for a quick and easy waterproof installation. Prior to setting tile, wait 24 hours to allow for final set of the mortar before testing to ensure waterproof performance of the assembly at seams and connections. BTW.the best investment I made for tiling was a suction cup. (you could still try it out and mud/caulk on the flat end but I don't see it lasting long looking good in a damp area). KERDI shall be separated at existing expansion, structural, and flexible edge joints. 3. Is it correct to use "the" before "materials used in making buildings are"? Exceptions include curved wall areas and non-bearing Can I install glass tile over Schluter-KERDI-BOARD? 4.6 out of 5 stars 154. Certainly not to that extreme just a example. Please refer to the Schluter-Shower System Installation Handbook How long do I have to wait before I can install tile on the Schluter-KERDI membrane? The premixed all-purpose compound is the best choice for most DIY jobs, though pros may opt for different formulations for differentapplications. Maybe it won't be noticeable. Schluter pan is cut and going in soon. https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/Movement-Joint-Profiles/Perimeter-Joints/Schluter%C2%AE-DILEX-BWA/p/DILEX_BWA. No, it wont. 1. That would by far be the easiest/best looking way of doing it. when that is installed I will finish mud that bit of exposed drywall on the other edge and feather it right into the door casing. Waterproofing with KERDI-BOARD Where waterproofing is desired, the joints and corners of KERDI-BOARD in the area must be sealed with KERDI-BAND using Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar. In general, it is recommended that the tile be at least 5/16" (8 mm) -thick and extend approximately 1-1/2" (38 mm) beyond the fixture hardware on all sides. Tape or corner bead where Hardi meets Drywall? I accidentally poked a hole through the Schluter-KERDI while installing the membrane. @Charlie Baum wondering how your project is going!!! Few grout lines was another reason. The KERDI-BAND must overlap panel joints by at least 2" (50 mm). But its not recommendable because the transition wont be flush. Once dry, give the surface another light sanding. 4. If you use both Kerdi board and drywall, the part with the latter material wont be heavily exposed to moisture. Next, scoop some mud into a compound tray. When framing a Schluter-KERDI-BOARD-SN shower niche with Schluter-RONDEC, do I use inside or outside corner accessories? I am going to put the schluter profile on the edge of the kerdi band but overlapping the exposed edge of the drywall. I'll have to look into this a bit more. You can end your tile with cap / bullnose or a tile profile edge. 2. Water will migrate by capillary action through the grout and tile setting mortar. It would be best if you start a new thread. Do not install the door on this transition. Large format (any edge over 15") will not matter as the mortar setting bed will be thick enough. Schluter-KERDI is a pliable, sheet-applied, bonded waterproof membrane and vapor retarder with limited crack-bridging capabilities. For most installations of KERDI-BOARD, tile can be installed right away. For corners, there are also corner bead products available, which have paper flanges attached to a metal bead. Please refer to the Schluter-Shower System Installation Handbook for guidelines on waterproofing showers, steam showers, and tub surrounds.Limitations. nice and clean! Many pros, however, feel that paper tape creates a joint that is less likely to crack and show through after painting. Your goal is to have a sealant joint from surface to waterproofing. I am not sure why I didn't try to do that more. If you have some building experience, this is a project that you can easily pull off by yourself. Glass guy is coming next Monday. Consult stone supplier and Schluter-Systems for more information. Cover the joints with KERDI-FLEX. Waterproofing strip seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels, Waterproof, multifunctional tile substrate and building panel, Point drain with integrated bonding flange, Bonded waterproofing and vapor-retardant membrane, Single-component sealing and bonding compound, Contact us: 888-472-4588 Our thought is the transition to Kerdi board will be outside the shower door and we can get away with less than 2" of Kerdi band overlap. Good Luck. Waterproofing strip seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels, Rectangular shelf for prefabricated KERDI-BOARD-SN niche, Screws and washers for fastening KERDI-BOARD panels to stud framing, Waterproof, multifunctional tile substrate and building panel, Bonded waterproofing and vapor-retardant membrane, Point drain with integrated bonding flange, Contact us: 888-472-4588 I circled one area, but there are lots of these edges." - Lisa Jasper The Kerdi band should be smooth and flat - not wavy/ "3) there is no membrane of waterproofing on the hardboard across from the "wet wall" after 5 1/2 feet up. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Corner bead consists of narrow paper flanges attached to an L-shaped metal bead. Cut and remove the KERDI-BOARD such that the niche will be supported on both sides by the studs or other wall framing. As a rule, use the 2" (50 mm) panels for these elements. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Knowing that the entire bathroom floor has been waterproofed. @Tundra Finish Works LLC brings up an excellent point about how the trim terminates around the dining room ( at door and window casings). My shower is constructed from kerdi board. Place spots of thin-set mortar on the KERDI-BOARD panel or substrate in intervals of approx. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. 4.7 out of 5 stars 293. Yes Schluter provides them as do many other manufacturers. Continuing Education for Architects & Designers. Apply the panels to the wall and firmly press them in place to ensure full coverage. IMO. Houzz Call: Show Us Your Hardworking Studio! Install KERDI-SEAL-PS pipe seals at showerhead, body sprays, etc. It's funny, the dimensions look similar to the size space I was working with. And the best way to do that is by cutting a small piece of the Kerdi board and fitting it on that seam. Interested to hear your strategy. Impact on that corner relying on the foam board is risky. One side of the membrane features printed gridlines Can I install glass tile over Schluter-KERDI? Charlie, I would still install cornerbead first to reinforce the corner. Latex-modified mortars must dry for the polymers to coalesce and form a hard Why should I use the Schluter-Shower System? Learn about the different sizes and types of this construction material for walls, plus which kinds work best for which rooms, Corner sinks, floating vanities and tiny shelves show us how youve made the most of a compact bathroom, Soon-to-be empty nesters build a dream home for the next phase of their lives, Surfboards, clean lines and an ocean-inspired laid-back style come together in this familys home on James Island, Dreamy whites, warm wood accents and classic finishes help make this couples first home a relaxing retreat, Before you pick up a single tile, pull from these tips for expert results, Read how a common exterior siding became so popular for interior paneling, Here are 5 key steps to take to ensure you're happy with your wall paint color, Use this step-by-step guide to figure out what you want and how to make it happen, Upload a photo of your home studio or workshop and tell us how youve designed it to work extra hard for you, Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers, Outdoor Lighting & Audio/Visual Specialists, https://tilemarketofde.com/products/in-stock-tile/statuario-lux-24x24/. KERDI features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-wovenpolypropylene on both sides to anchor the membrane in the thin-set mortar. For inside and outside corners, adhere pre-formed KERDI-KERECK-F corners. 3. The reason this seam ought to be covered is so that it can create an anchor or support for the Kerdi band we are going to install later. Get it as soon as Friday, Mar 3. Including flashed up the walls behind base board actual water damage is not a concern. 2. The backsplash may consist of KERDI-BOARD or other appropriate tile substrate. The Schluter-Shower System is an integrated family of products that together form a fully bonded, watertight assembly for tiled showers Can I use Schluter-KERDI in my steam shower? Customers also search. If you are using paper tape, it must be embedded in a layer of compound, and thus the process takes slightly longer than with fiberglass tape. Where these surfaces will not accept a bond to Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar, use KERDI-FIX to bond KERDI-BAND. I found this discussion while researching how to transition from kerdi-board to drywall on top of a pony wall. You need to use a fiber mesh tape and a liquid waterproof membrane over the seams and corners any of the screwheads but the rest of the field is already waterproof and textured to except tile. ncdu: What's going on with this second size column? Schluter Systems KERDI BOARD SB Triangular Shower Bench 22-5/8 W x 16 D x 20 H , Model: KBSB410TA. For showers and bathtub surrounds, KERDI must be carried to the height of the showerhead at minimum What size notched trowel should I use to install Schluter-KERDI?