Putty Knife Cleaner. No water clues were present in the "clean carpet" case. Silentstep can significantly reduce both impact and airborne noise transfer through a floor system. On mine, at least, it's definitely latex from the backing that's bonded to the rug. Woodard, Janice Emelie, and Katherine Leona Habel. I went out back for fresh hair cuz my coughing/headaches started acting up more & at this time I realized my sweat all over me smelled just like the whiff but massive! 3 December 2009, web search 03/03/2011, original source: Carpet fibers and padding, Kathryn A. Hairle, [may be unavailable], University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension, 1975, Handbook of Fiber Finishing Technology, Philip E. Slade, 1997, [Quoting Amazon.com], Rug and carpet fibers: Selection and Care, Shirley M. Niemeyer. "Carpet care, cleaning and stain removal." The stain color, location, pattern, timing of occurrence and other factors can help figure out what's going on and how to stop it. Its common for people to avoid checking the carpet underlay until its too late. This does not look like a simple carpet stain nor an individual spill. @LJ, literature by Brown et al. than less worn carpet. The dryer it gets the dirtier (browner) it looks. Our Comment Box is provided by Countable Web Productions countable.ca, Click to Show or Hide Citations & References, Best Practices Guide to Residential Construction, ARTICLE INDEX to BUILDING INDOOR AIR QUALITY IAQ, HOME INSPECTION EDUCATION COURSES (Canada), HOME INSPECTION EDUCATION: HOME STUDY COURSES, [1] "James Hardie's Mesothelioma and Asbestos Legacy Continues, 2009", web search 03/01/2011, www.survivingmesothelioma.com, [2] "The Business Biography of John Wanamaker Founder and Builder, America's Merchant Pioneer from 1861 to 1922", web search 03/02/2011, original source: http://www.archive.org/stream/, [3]"Western Australia Health Department Warns on Asbestos in Carpet Pad", Perth Now, Australian Broadcasting Company, 24 March 2006, [4]"Old Carpet Underlay Unlikely Asbestos Risk", 11 July 2006, see http://www.health.wa.gov.au. Prepare yourself and the subfloor. @Anonymous, To fix the issue, turn over the underlay, sweep away the dust, and replace the padding. Good ideahas the carpet ever been wet, maybe from cleaning? - B.B. When you install an acoustic carpet underlay, you can hope for greatly reduced sounds from walking, jumping, running, and dropping objects. I put a sm fan on a small table approx 5 ft from me head one nite cuz hot. 1, a series of monographs on the history of plywood manufacturing",Plywood Pioneers Association, 31 March, 1967, www.apawood.org, Best Practices Guide to Residential Construction, by Steven Bliss. The chances are that even if the underlay looks ok, it will turn to dust in a year or two if it is rubber. by (mod) While it may cut your costs, it will cause more harm than good to your new flooring. 1996 Ashrae Handbook Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning Systems and Equipment: Inch-Pound Edition (Hardcover), ISBN-10: 1883413346 or ISBN-13: 978-1883413347 , Principles of Heating, Ventilating, And Air Conditioning: A textbook with Design Data Based on 2005 AShrae Handbook - Fundamentals (Hardcover), Harry J., Jr. Sauer (Author), Ronald H. Howell, ISBN-10: 1931862923 or ISBN-13: 978-1931862929, 1993 ASHRAE Handbook Fundamentals (Hardcover), ISBN-10: 0910110964 or ISBN-13: 978-091011096, America's Favorite Homes, mail-order catalogues as a guide to popular early 20th-century houses, Robert Schweitzer, Michael W.R. Davis, 1990, Wayne State University Press ISBN 0814320066 (may be available from Wayne State University Press), American Plywood Association, APA, "Portland Manufacturing Company, No. Sometimes those stains don't show up immediately after the event itself. Not sure what we're observing - that dark area (or is that a shadow) or the light areas in the dark area? What may cause this on my carpet its in my bedroom also. Please bookmark this page to make it easy for you to check back for our response. Well we dont have pets and nothing has been spilled in there? - mac Aug 26, 2013 at 20:30 You can refinish. Was there previously furniture or some other fixture placed in this location? A greater health risk is cutting yourself while using a stanley knife to pull it up or driving it to the dump or a thousand other activities you'll do around the house every day all year round. The requirements are available here. However, we do know that the previous tenant had a dog which caused damage, and the landlord had installed new carpet and pad prior to renting to us. Is this over a concrete slab, a wood-framed floor, or something else? The carpet has been down about 8-10 years and this has just started happening. Please keep in mind that no one can assure by email that your property has no asbestos present. Stopping this dirt from sanding the finish off your hardwood floors is the reason they make backed rugs in the first place. I started pulling back carpet today to get an idea of the condition of my subfloor as I am preparing for hardwood floors. Let me know what you find. I would just scrape and sweep and not worry about it. A simple example is the higher amount of dust deposition that occurs around heating or air conditioning We have not [yet] located a description of how that exposure occurred or what products were involved. procedures depend on a protocol in which white light is shined onto a carpet specimen and the percentage of light I am very, very worried by something as inexplicable spreading in my apartment and would like it inspected but I don't know to whom to turn. Ask MetaFilter is a question and answer site that covers nearly any question on earth, where members help each other solve problems. The stain was a black tight stain at first and then I shampooed and rinsed the area. GuyZero is probably righter than me. Usually lab testing is an unnecessary approach when removing or diagnosing stains or contaminants on carpeting but sometimes when visual inspection and considering building history (leaks, spills, pets, air leaks, puffback or other soot producing events) isn't enough and where significant expenses are involved in cleaning or replacing carpeting we might test tape or dust samples of the carpet stain area as well as other samples of settled building dust. Those include liquids like (and NOT necessarily RECOMMENDED for carpet cleaning) dilutions of ammonia, bleach, lemon juice, laundry detergents, vinegar. I think it's the backing, and some have sort of, uh, exuviated this stuff for mere weeks, others for, as you say, months and months. Any suggestions or tips would be incredible. focusing on the causes of these carpet stains. I'd cover it back up and take a small sample to a lab before you try removing it. Published by at 16 de junio de 2022. So it seems the whole rug had been sun-bleached(?). On 2020-07-09 - by (mod) - diagnose the stains at corners of carpeting, MattThanks for the photo and question. Can anyone please tell me what this might be?Is it just filtration soiling, or something else?How is it cleaned?Thank you. carpet underlay turned to dust Isgho Votre ducation notre priorit Theres much lighter stains that look nothing like these that I assume are food/beverage or pet related (Ive seen stains like these before. Unfortunately, the fire retardant used in the foam padding of your carpet probably is polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE); it was taken off the U.S. market between 2004 and 2006, but it had been. Were the padding stains bigger or smaller in area than the stains seen on the carpet underside? Or maybe the stains became more visible with age.I was wondering if it was snails or slugs, or some other animal, but Ill happily go with the the more innocuous explanation.Thank you again! Using these methods, several investigators found differences All posts copyright their original authors. Householders should take standard precautions when removing old carpet and underlay. We do not sell anything. A box for a neighbour has leaked on my carpet. You will not receive a notification when a response to your question has been posted. If the back of the carpet and the padding below are quite clean then you know that the stain is coming from above. What underlayment, if any is under the padding? If so are the padding under-side stains larger than the padding surface stains? Which also means that if that stuff is dried up mold, then they carpeted right over it.which opens up a whole new can of worms. Price, Daniel L., Brandi N. Morris, and Georgia Lagrang. Hes just starting to eat a lil. Hes lost half his body weight since moving here. - light areas in doorways and other areas of heavier foot-traffic, - stains on carpet in at least two areas, both apparently at the end of a wall, - tan stains in the wall-end above the stained floor, - water stains on floor trim around the wall bottom. and smelling stuff on the rug. This location and pattern suggest an air leak at the floor-wall juncture - something easily verified by simple examination below the carpet. A vacuum cleaner? Ageing Underlay is prone to crumble or collapse, causing your new Carpet to . Has anyone inspected the floor from below? This pic is from one of the bedrooms but, the stains all look alike.. Looks like a water leak, but, nothing like that has happened since we have lived here. Thanks for all the help! Some common sources of carpet stains include: What is the history of building leaks, fires, prior occupancies, occupants, pets, damage, repairs, renovations? Your carpet is likely home to lots of dust particles and debris, which you don't really want to breathe in. See details at ANIMAL STAINS & MARKS in BUILDINGS where we discuss animal marks on walls, floors, carpeting or other surfaces. And the HVAC filter was absolutely black when we changed it shortly after moving in. is tradesy going out of business; Those marks arw on a carpet we extraction cleaned 8 months ago and they are getting larger and also appear elsewhere in this house near ac vents in the floor (same colour, just not splotchy looking like the other areas throughout the house. These methods are used to determine the "apparent" soil on a carpet surface. The cost of carpet cleaning varies depending on your location and home size, but expect to pay about $0.20 to $0.40 cents per square foot, on average. Are the carpet backing stains larger than the stains on the carpet surface? which had been suspected of originating in an HVAC system were actually carpet dust and fibers. . What stains, clues, materials were visible on the floor or sub-floor over which the carpet padding and carpeting were laid? Thank you. Hi! What activities on, over, near the carpet had taken place prior to that? Conclusion. Using a knife, ensure it is at the same level as the gripper rods by trimming out extra underlay. [Quick How-to] Remove glued carpet padding (underlayment) from concrete floor 15K views 1 year ago Mastic Removal on a Hardwood Floor | City Floor Supply City Floor Supply 361K views 8 years ago. Big patches of light colored stains are appearing randomly on my carpet. You are going to have to deal with this as a carpet owner. We don't as a general policy investigate the solvency of companies mentioned (how likely they are to go bust), but there is a risk any company can struggle and it's rarely made public until it's too late (see the. It is advisable to lightly wet down the underside of the carpet and underlay prior to and during removal. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website. Did someone "clean" or treat the carpeting? If you drop a cigarette etc on to the carpet and you are awake/sober, it's simple enough to stamp it out. Our recommended books about building & mechanical systems design, inspection, problem diagnosis, and repair, and about indoor environment and IAQ testing, diagnosis, and cleanup are at the, ASHRAE resource on dew point and wall condensation - see the, 2005 ASHRAE Handbook : Fundamentals: Inch-Pound Edition (2005 ASHRAE HANDBOOK : Fundamentals : I-P Edition) (Hardcover), Thomas H. Kuehn (Contributor), R. J. Couvillion (Contributor), John W. Coleman (Contributor), Narasipur Suryanarayana (Contributor), Zahid Ayub (Contributor), Robert Parsons (Author), ISBN-10: 1931862702 or ISBN-13: 978-1931862707, 2004 ASHRAE Handbook : Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning: Systems and Equipment : Inch-Pound Edition (2004 ASHRAE Handbook : HVAC Systems and Equipment : I-P Edition) (Hardcover). Does the area smell moldy if you sniff close to it?Could you pull back the carpeting from the wall so as to allow an inspection of its underside as well as the condition of the padding below and the subfloor below that?That inspection would tell us if this is a recurrent stain from a spill or if instead it's moisture from a leak below. Flip over the rug and look at the back and you may see evidence of re-weaving repairs. It is usually slimy because of a wet layer on the top. US Department of Agriculture, 1917. There is no moisture or leak nearby. Is there pet hair in the HVAC ducts? Air leaks and thermal tracking (illustrated below) also can produce very regular and well-defined stain-lines along carpets; in this case the location of the lines along walls is an important clue. underlay remain undisturbed. CJ Sorry, no. This info does not constitute financial advice, always do your own research on top to ensure it's right for your specific circumstances and remember we focus on rates not service. Could have been an animal too - maybe an old, incontinent pet. This stuff also is spread across the entire room, at least I think it is. Apparent soiling The landlord has now informed us it is a stain and sent these photos. Are there stains on the under-side of the carpet in the same locations as the carpet surface stains? That's the reason, believe it or not, that carpet professionals say you should vacuum every day. I only pulled back half the carpet. I began removing a carpet from my mothers apartment and found that the padding was in a powder form with a yellow orange color. This is the only way a new carpet underlay is going to look good and work out the way you want it to. Unless you object, I'll post these photos at an appropriate spot at InspectApedia, keeping your information completely private of course - to invite further comment from others some of whom may be more expert. If the carpet underlay has turned to dust, its due to natural deterioration. Looks like left over rubber from an old rubberback carpet. We have a high-end filtration and humidity control system and own our home (we are very neat and clean). But the stain has disappeared in the past, when Ive had the carpet professionally cleaned the stain will lighten and You wont be able to tell its there. Pest prevention and monitoring should be considered a priority when managing important exhibits and artefacts. Categories . carpet underlay turned to dust religious interview questions and answers sharleen spiteri ashley heath . 100 sq. @Tracey, What's the source of that handful of debris in your other photo? It would make sense to lift the carpet and check the padding and the floor underneath. We pulled up carpet and padding in our house. carpet underlay turned to dust. It's generally the case that a soaked carpet will also leave water marks on the subfloor below. The underlay you receive may be a different colour to the ones shown. Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion. Nazari, Ali, Shahab Torabian, Majid Montazer, Mohammad Bameni Moghadam, and Mohammad Shahvaziyan. - Lewis (2004) The wearing of a carpet is often related to the age of a carpet but not in all cases. Glad to hear there is not much asbestos around in the carpet padding area. Company changed it , it happened again so I paid extra for a better underlay but its still doing the same . On 2022-07-01 by InspectApedia-911 (mod) - crystalline residue left after carpet spill. The powder is not the same color as the dirt that comes into the apartment, so I think it's the latex backing disintegrating into powder. Step 1prepare the floor and gather your tools. Did someone's pet spend time in the building? Try improving the amount of fresh air ventilation in your home to see if that helps. Another line of investigation is that floor cutout for an HVAC supply (?) My wife and I bought the house about a year ago and the previous owners put the new carpeting in before they sold it. To smell these dark stains I dont smell nothing. I did wear a mask but it was a this nurses mask. If you trace a moldy odor or smell to the carpeting or its padding beneath, chances are that it is or was moldy.See SMELL PATCH TEST to FIND ODOR SOURCE. I was swearing cuz the window was up airing out the room & it was 100 degrees so hot. The stuff is powdery and uniformly white or light in color, if that helps. Thank Dan. They may never smell it cuz so far Im the only one. These spots have mysteriously appeared in my small dressing room. The DOH offered this good advice for removing old carpeting and carpet padding or underlay: it is advisable to wear a Class P1 or P2 disposable facemask (available at most I originally didn't think it could be repairs because some of the spot edges seemed more round than straight and seemed to run on from the blue parts of the rug somewhat into the light and darker "signs" (arabesques?) Compare $ 322 39 /roll (1) Model# AD216. I want to see photos of the back of the carpet, the padding, and of the subfloor below the padding.That will tell us for sure if there as been a water leak or some other leak, in which case we'll want to track the leak to its source before proceeding with new flooring. One was solid foam, the other must have been about 40 years old and is made of what looks like glued together foam particles that had turned to heaps of dust in some areas. If moisture levels are a factor in the home, say moisture regularly above 55% RH, we would expect to see more-stained surfaces on those Offering a globally-inspired design that's sure to turn heads and inspire compliments, this area rug is easy to incorporate into coastal, bohemian, and retro styles alike! I'm a little worried about mold in and under the carpet. Course no one can be certain, from just a photo. CARPET STAIN DIAGNOSIS at InspectApedia.com - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice. Consider using a vacuum with a HEPA filter to prevent debris from blowing into the surrounding air. 2. We probably should have had the vents cleaned because we found pet hair all around the house for many months after moving in. Who cleans the carpet? @Laura, It's dirt filtering through the rug. Idk what type of carpet this is. soiling and that loop pile retains less soil than cut pile. And I also wonder what might have made the repair yarn, if it is that, first look exactly like the main blue color and then suddenly lighter/grey Would you have an explanation for that? Wanamakers, a Philadelphia PA store, began 1880, selling carpets and carpet liners in 1880.[2]. These are not pet stains or from spills. For many people, Underlay can be a second thought, often overlooked when trying to stick to a budget. Yeah, we are really baffled especially since they appeared this last year when we havent even had company of any kind in the house. My carpet has these spots that have been slowly growing over time. If you can't remove nails or staples, hammer them into the floor until they are flush. Was the air filter changed? keep us posted. fibres remained within the underlay. - a spill of a liquid that actually bleaches out the carpeting (these usually have sharp edges) Furry, Margaret Smith. Air moving upwards through the building (due to upwards air convection currents) may draw incoming air at the wall/floor gap or cracks, thereby depositing dust and debris at that location. Fiber carpet cushions or pads(above) may be made from natural fibers (such as jute, felt, or even horsehair), synthetic fibers (acrylic fibers, nylon fibers, polyesters, propylene fibers), or recycled textile fibers that may be a mix of natural and synthetic materials. 419-442. Carpet Underlay | Hard Wearing PU Foam| Great Quality. wear. Underlay helps carpet to sit properly and wear evenly, and makes sure that it lasts as long as it can. Where are the carpet or rug stains, what is their size, shape, color. Unfortunately, carpeting isn't exactly cheap, so the best step is to have underlaying or invest in carpeting that won't require underlays. I clean it and it just comes back, there is a ceiling fan and a tenant that lives below me. The red ones are under a small radiator and the grey/green/yellowy ones are under 2 plastic storage boxes. Approx 5 days she acted as in severe depression wouldnt move from lay down position like starting off. "You Never Have to Clean Bio-Pergo! The fabric used on the carpet's underside significantly impacts the need for carpet underlay. Use the safety gear and pull it up - the vast vast majority will be standard underlay in use for 50 years and more. Our page top photo shows stains on carpeting left when a storage cabinet was moved. First let's ask when the stains first were noticed. I found a stain under the table the lil fan sat on. believed to have been installed prior to 1970 in Perth homes. Saint Johns, FL. Did it ever have a backing in the first place (the linked rug does not). Our second rebond padding photo (below right) shows us exposing the subfloor below the padding in an area where the homeowner had already made carpet and padding cuts to inspect for water leakage. First off it is mud like. Apologies for the delay. : A Guide to American Architecture, Rev., John C. Poppeliers, S. Allen Chambers, Wiley; Rev Sub edition (October 6, 2003), ISBN-10: 0471250368, ISBN-13: 978-0471250364. retention on carpet. These stains appeared in the basement of my mother-in-laws Colorado home. found that most studies of carpet soiling are based on apparent or visual methods of Are there stains on the upper surface of the carpet padding? Do not attempt to continue with the same underlay as it will only get worse with time. When there is dust under the carpet, it is a sign that things have to change. Excellent Two other foam carpet padding materials are prime urethane foam and mechanically-frothed urethane foam. To prevent accidentally cutting the underlying carpet, you should use a piece of scrap board. Preparation is often the key to a successful flooring fitting. Where possible, lightly wet the material prior to and during the removal . Large roundish stains came out of nowhere. Care should be taken to minimise the release of dust by carefully rolling up carpet and underlay. Our best and most-complete carpet stain cause and cure advice is given above on this page. Wear is clearly related to