, Its like algebrawhy you gotta put numbers and letters together? CHESTERFIELD!!!! Weve experienced winter in Alberta and trust me, its cold. 50+ memorable Grinch quotes for people who absolutely hate Christmas. I should a make a video of this. Pencil Crayons coloured pencils (also only we spell colour with a u). Likely one of the first slang terms you'll encounter when you're new to Montreal, a "dep"short for dpanneur, the French term for repairman or troubleshooteris a convenience store for everyday. When I made statements like Its cold tonight, I should have packed my tuque, People looked at me like I was from another planet. For example, you may say that Timmies is kitty-corner to your home if it is diagonally across an intersection. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Although it is a manufactured made up word, it is Canada in a nutshell. The red Mountie uniform is a classic sign of Canada. Ah yes, I remember the confectionary store. Means chocolate milk in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Living around Canada, especially in the Maritimes, I learned even more fascinating Canadian terms that I wish were more widely known. When we pay our utilities each month, we pay our hydro bill. Hahaha. Im in Canada (40+ years), and we dont use that here. The Edge from U2 often wears a tuque, and Jacques Cousteau always wore a tuque. they were described as chocolate beans. Just a note on pronunciation. especially for school aged kids. Another Canadian word: Shed>>> pertains to any small building outside a larger dwelling.this word often used in the East Coast of Canada. 4 0 obj . Its most used when referring to the Vancouver Canucks hockey team rather than individuals nowadays. We have some very unique Canadian Sayings and Phrases. Meaning, Americans dont say whipper snipper. Do this and youll be screeched in. Thanks for the addition to great Canadian Words Lucy, I have totally used Parkette before. It has a picture of a Loon on it. BTWI use the term washroom all the time, Really enjoyed your blog about the slang of Canada. This is what we Canadians call our Backpack or Rucksack. Putting on a fake Canadian accent. Canadian Slang of the Atlantic and Central Provinces If you're visiting Eastern or Central Canada, including Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Quebec, these slang words will be familiar to the locals. We grab a 2-4 of beer and go to the cottage up north to work on our Molson Muscle. A Molson Muscle is our endearing term for the beer bellies we have developed over years of drinking Molson Canadian Beer. I have friends in Ukraine who use college to mean they have a two-year (Associate) degree and university to mean they have a four-year (Bachelor) degree I think thats the norm for the FSU counties. And I love to converse with my college mates from up north British Columbia and Alberta, just to listen to them use the eh word. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. They also like pumpkin pie.thats 2 for Canada!). Just a tad, you you like some dessert? I actually live in Scotland but I have Canadian relatives on my dads side and Id move there in a heartbeat. The specific Canadian slang terms vary from region to region with some slang being used universally across Canada. You are so right. ; NKz}7[+a.,oxG5 *dztqc+Td[h. I often use this to describe going cottaging in Muskoka, which is barely halfway up Ontario. By far the silliest word for currency on the planet is the name of the Canadian dollar coin. You have probably heard the following phrases if you are a regular. Yes, but only if you live north of Hwy. There is virtually no pronunciation differences between cot and caught when said by a Canadian. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. ), All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. By using our site, you agree to our. 100%YES! I should have put that in. Ive heard James Cagney use it in an old movie, so I think it must have been common in the States in the 30s or 40s. They are much like our lovehearts candy. Habs fans are everywhere and theres nothing funny about the most storied team in NHL history. The US has always had dill pickle chips and has had all dressed for about 5 or 6 years now. Now we know, ours are just better in Canada. im fluent in English & french. I like washroom. I dont know if this is common elsewhere, but in Canada we celebrate our champagne birthday with extra fan fair. It can also be a derogatory term for supporters of the Bloc Quebecois. Enjoy! Yeah, No A term meaning they agree with you, even if no can be confusing. Memorable Criminal Minds quotes fans of the show will recognise. I used that a lot even after I graduated. endobj For BC, that means that the whole country is out east. Often its not even a true or false statement! . But you are right, either way is the proper spelling. Or when in university, a 1st year or 2nd year student. These abbreviations are for the longer form government names for our liquor stores. A living room (sometimes called a sitting room) is more formal, for entertaining guests; a family room is for only the family (more private or relaxed); a den is a smallish room, usually with comfortable sitting chairs, a desk, book shelves, and maybe a fireplace. Joggers used to mean sweatpants. In Quebec, it has become a very popular swear word used to express anger, annoyance or surprise. (CC and Coke) to drink at parties. I also just recently realize that they call it a toilet around most of the rest of the world, including Australia. Its not the original any longer. Pronounced sky-vee, this east coast word refers to someone untrustworthy or sneaky. F**k lemony snicket, what a serious of unfortunate events you f**kin been through you ugly f**k. Boulevard of broken dreams! Her name was Pearl Victoria,and sha and my Grandpa Victor Blackwell, spoke a lot of unique phrases as I was growing up in central NY in the 50s. I got all of these off another website so they may not be true (I just assumed). The clearness to your submit is just spectacular and that i can suppose you are a professional in this subject. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. He had never heard that expression before! 17. funkme1ster 10 yr. ago. In the US, what they call Smarties, we call Rockets. This is one of my favourite terms, more so now that I know its Canadian specific. Im guessing something about the coziness of a hoodie led to the name, but I couldnt find a good explanation. And another one is parkade for a parking deck. Midwesterners call in pop, East Coast/West Coast call it soda, and Southerners call in coke (i.e. Im with you, Im having a nap and a shower:). Find the best local tours with this search engine (and the best deals)! You look like a 12-year-old Dutch girl. I like the post, I just might find some problems with the picture. 300+ funny, classic and scary clown names that will make you giggle, Cash withdrawal limit not part of Supreme Court ruling, CBN may continue policy, Dating apps in Nigeria: best applications to help you find the one, "He think say the baby na handkerchief": Nigerian father dances with newborn baby in church, video trends, "He is in love": Man without hands sends messages on WhatsApp using his legs, video inspires many, Presidential election: Jack-Rich salutes Tinubu, Shettima over victory, Heres a poem. However, there is no real geographic boundary of usage. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. 10 yr. ago. They either crack you up or make you wonder how smart the guys can be. , Youre made of spare parts, arent you, bud? Farmers Tan a tan that stops just below your shoulder due to wearing t-shirts too much. They are changing to convenience stores, but in small town Alberta you will still see a Confectionary store. Ive literally never heard anyone outside of American television use this term. On the West Coast, a few words mixed in from Indigenous trade languages chuck for the ocean, Skookum for pretty big, pretty neat. Northern Canadians use ever before words to add emphasis, sort of like saying very. This was a term I hoped died when I left high school, but unfortunately, its stuck around. : *Iuu!$\TV. A nickname for Halifax, Nova Scotia. Rucksack = Rugged pack for hiking and carrying equipment. It doesnt matter where you are, thats the middle. Shaded provisions are not in force. I will point out that, while people in Alberta do not say aboot, people in eastern Canada do. I wonder if that has any correlation to the size of my waistline. Are the washrooms comfortable in the Philippines? Thats a dicey history that I wont get into here, but I wanted to include the term since its very common amongst Canadians. Usually used for driving directions. How a Soft Drink Became Quebec's Homegrown Insult. We couldnt exactly call it a dollar bill anymore, and a dollar coin just didnt roll off of the tongue. They usually sell alcohol so it can also be used to refer to a liquor store. In these parts, we also have chips flavoured like Roast Chicken and Fries and Gravy, and soft drinks like Pineapple Crush. I think pilon is a Canadian word. Theres happiness calling my name from the bottom of a bottle of Puppers. My younger life, mostly from Hamilton and Toronto. How Slang Affects the English Language. How do you pronounce by? My dads family uses pop only when our aunt from Canada visits. Serviettes are napkins. The next time you stub your toe in Quebec, you might also want to bite your tongue. So naturally, we all decided to call it a Loonie. It comes from the French word depanneur which is the actual name for a convenience store. Maybe it is only in Quebec, Are they? That would be giving someone his or her "due.". Nina Out and About contains affiliate links and is a member of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Or brains. I had no idea what this meant until I was older. Among the plethora of ethnic insults that traffic in foodGermans as "krauts," say, or Irish people as "potato eaters""pepsi" deserves special mention. Commonly shortened to hali. A half-sack of beer is half a dozen. One more a crummy. One of my favourite phrases that is uniquely Canadian is Two-Four. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. This refers to the oil industries in Alberta. Across Canada, we tend to think of our home as being the centre of the country. Some have a French Canadian influence. And of course, when the two-dollar coin came out with a picture of a Polar Bear on it we called it a Bearie or a Polie right? I dont hear anyone call it soda. Mickie is used a variety or places, though it is an older term that ive hear in old movies, Thong is used all the time in Australia and NZ, I nknow some Americans who say hoser, I heat take off all over the place, as with sasquatchm yak, francophone and Kraft Dinner though a lot of people have also taken to calling it KD. I would correct your comment regarding where Canadians buy their beer. Epic Trips are deeply immersive 8 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and enough down time to really relax and soak it all in. You asked about more slang. A term for an anglophone in Quebec. For example, Qubec does not speak English and won't have many expressions originating from British Columbia. Bob and Doug Mackenzie made it famous in the 70s and it ended up taking of eh. Despite its obvious similarities to the word "cousin," this phrase is more general. Smarties were introduced by Rowntree of York in 1882. A Molson Muscle refers to a beer belly, typically acquired by drinking too much Molson beer. , F**k you, Shoresy, youre a terrible fu**in ref! The other ones arent ringing a bell though, Im afraid. Here is what we recommend: Need more help planning your trip? That would be weird! Great Canadian Word indeed! I dont know if its uniquely Canadian but Ive heard clicks used quite a bit instead of kilometres. So, dont say a-boot unless you want to get kicked by one. Quebec is the only place in North America where Pepsi has traditionally outsold Coke. Why not use these resources that are tried and tested by yours truly. "Land of beautiful women, inexpensive hard liquor and polar bears." - by asef, 9433 likes. However, these slang terms are unique to this region. my grandma also calls couches CHESTERFIELDS! Canada has its own version of M&M. Even though the series has been around for quite some time, fans still ask, is Letterkenny over? We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer) as we strive to provide site experiences for browsers that support new web standards and security practices. Thats interesting eh? If youre visiting Eastern or Central Canada, including Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Quebec, these slang words will be familiar to the locals.